Win10 CIFS - external usb drive

All questions regarding using our system with Windows XP, Vista, 7 may go here.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
alonne
I'm New!
I'm New!

Win10 CIFS - external usb drive

Postby alonne » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:07 pm

Hi all.

Tody I set up my new ds416play.

2x4tb for now. I have other 2 3tb external usb, so I was thinking leave one of them on the pc and try to do hyperbackup copy to it.

My first step is try to mount a remote folder by CIFS. I share the folder on the external HD, and then I try to connect it. I get credential error, but i'm sure I was using good user/pass.

Then I try to do exactly the same with an internal drive and everything go fine, so I think is there any problem with CIFS and External usb drive .

Can anyone try it?

Thanks !!
mervincm
Versed
Versed

Re: Win10 CIFS - external usb drive

Postby mervincm » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:36 am

do you see the share for the external USB on the PC?
under network then under you pcname, you should see the share you created for the external.
i created a share on fixed disk and on USB stick on my windows 10 system, and both show up on that same PC under network.
I wasn't able to connect to either from my syno, but I suspect that is because I use an MS account.
1815+ (factory patched board) 4GB 5x6TB WD RED
alonne
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Win10 CIFS - external usb drive

Postby alonne » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:36 am

mervincm, thanks for reply.

Yes, when I share it I can see it on network using \\ip\sharename and with \\servername\sharename.

I tried disabling comodo firewall and windows firewall, but nothing work on external usb, with any other folder on a internal hard disk everything go fine.

Thanks

Return to “Windows OS”