Many connections from PC in remote VPN network

All questions regarding using our system with Windows XP, Vista, 7 may go here.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
DaCapitalist
I'm New!
I'm New!

Many connections from PC in remote VPN network

Postby DaCapitalist » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:48 pm

Dear All,

My setup is as follows:
My Synology DS216play is in "Network A" which is connected to another network of my family "Network B".
The VPN connection is handled by the two internet routers and always on.

My issue is the following:
There is a PC in "Network B" that is very often (multiple times a day) accessing a specific share of my Synology even though I know that the user should only manually open the shared folder on his desktop 1 or 2 times a month.
The only connection to the share that is constantly existing to the share on his PC is a shortcut icon on the desktop linking to \\Synology IP\Shared Folder. He is not clicking this icon all the time. So why is his Windows accessing the share so often (obviously in the background)? What are common pitfalls that I need to look for?

I would highly appreciate your help and experience in this case.

Many thanks upfront!
drabisan
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Re: Many connections from PC in remote VPN network

Postby drabisan » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:30 pm

Most likely the antivirus. Although I won't exclude ordinary Windows behavior to refresh the links for no reason.
Try removing the shortcut. Or move it in a random folder, not on desktop.
It it continues, maybe worth looking if you can instruct the antivirus not to scan shares.
DaCapitalist
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby DaCapitalist » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:03 pm

Hi dabrisan,

many thanks. Virus protection is Avira's AntiVir.
I will try to make it ignore network drives and add domain and IP of the NAS to its exception list.
Let you know when I have first results.
And sorry for replying late...

Thanks
DaC
DaCapitalist
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby DaCapitalist » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:54 am

Hi!

I changed the AntiVir setting yesterday evening.
But this morning i got a couple of connection messages again in the Synology protocol.
Any other sources that come to your mind in this case? Any (built-in) Windows 10 functionalities that might access the share?
Many thanks
DaC
DummyPLUG
Apprentice
Apprentice

Postby DummyPLUG » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:18 am

DaCapitalist wrote:Hi!

I changed the AntiVir setting yesterday evening.
But this morning i got a couple of connection messages again in the Synology protocol.
Any other sources that come to your mind in this case? Any (built-in) Windows 10 functionalities that might access the share?
Many thanks
DaC

You can use process monitor to see which process access it.
https://docs.microsoft.com/zh-hk/sysint ... ds/procmon
DS1817+, DS412+ (dead), 2*DS211j
DaCapitalist
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby DaCapitalist » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:51 pm

It seems to be the RuntimeBroker process.
It is accessing the specific share that is offered from my NAS but also 2 shares that do not exist on there: \PIPE\srvsvc and \IPC$

I saw on the internet that this process is responsible for ensuring security / permission management for metro apps.
I do not think that any of these apps are used currently.
But just in case; which could cause this behaviour even if the NAS folder is not configured?
Are there apps that scan the entire file system including (non-mounted) network shares?

Seems like I cannot stop the process itself but need to look for any apps responsible for network activity(?)

Many thanks for any hint here!

Return to “Windows OS”