Mounting Windows 98SE share using CIFS

All questions regarding using our system with Windows XP, Vista, 7 may go here.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
risingson05
I'm New!
I'm New!

Mounting Windows 98SE share using CIFS

Postby risingson05 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:09 am

I run a lab with multiple test stations that save test data locally on each computer. I have a RS815RP+ setup with Cloud Station Server to sync files from each computer into one parent directory on the server so people can access data from all computers at one location. Unfortunately, we have one system still running Windows 98SE for legacy support of an old piece of software and hardware. Of course cloudstation cannot work on this computer. I've tried putting it on another computer and mapping a network drive to the Win98 computer but nothing gets copied. So, I figured I could at least mount the Win98 share on the server, but that also doesn't work. Every time I try to mount the share using CIFS it will "think" for a while then give me the message "Operation failed". At that point I can no longer mount any other shares from any other computer, it will always return "Operation failed". I must restart the NAS to successfully mount any other shares. There is no password setup on the Win98 share, but I tried enabling "lanman auth" as some people have suggested, but it didn't fix the issue.

Anyone have any ideas how to get this to work? Or any other creative solution for providing access to those files from the NAS?
risingson05
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Mounting Windows 98SE share using CIFS

Postby risingson05 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:54 am

No ideas?

Return to “Windows OS”