DS414 Shows up in File Explorer sometimes??

All questions regarding using our system with Windows XP, Vista, 7 may go here.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
yahknow1
Trainee
Trainee

DS414 Shows up in File Explorer sometimes??

Postby yahknow1 » Tue May 30, 2017 10:32 pm

Hello, I'm at my wits end with this problem:

So I purchased a new router the other day (ASUS RT-AC88U) and after getting it all set up, I noticed my DS414 no longer appeared in File Explorer under NETWORK?

So first I called ASUS to ask them if they had this happen often and was there a fix? The Technician had me perform a factory reset to the router and BOOM the Diskstation appeared and everything looked great.

Then two days later, Charter was having problems in my area. I found that out only after a few power cycles to the router and modem. I realized then that the Diskstation had disappeared from File Explorer again! So I repeated the factory reset and once again, everything looked fine....until the next day when I looked and AGAIN no Diskstation. So, I figured I'd just go back to my old router and the problem would go away BUT NO, the exact same thing is now happening with my old router too!! (It's an ASUS RT-AC88U)

So this time I called Microsoft ( because my pc had recently been upgraded to the latest Windows 10 - Creators uptate) and I figured they surely would know why this was happening? Well after a couple hours of the guy remoting into my desktop, he decides something weird is happening with the machine and he does a system Refresh. Still no luck in seeing the Diskstation!

The next day we resumed troubleshooting and he decides the machine needs to be Reset. I thought this would fix the problem for sure. I told him to go ahead and I'd re-install everything keeping a close eye that none of the programs interfered with my ability to see the Diskstation as I reloaded them.

Well now after the Reset I STILL can't always see Diskstation under Network? At least now I see some of it's folders in the "Recent Files" section of file explorer and when I go into those - magically the "Diskstation" appears under Network. It goes away as soon as I close and reopen the file explorer window.

Can anyone tell me what in the world is going on?

As a last ditch idea, I've decided to try another new router - This time not an ASUS. So I've ordered the SYNOLOGY RT2600ac thinking if it is the router by god this should easily see and report the diskstation??

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated?
yahknow1
Trainee
Trainee

Re: DS414 Shows up in File Explorer sometimes??

Postby yahknow1 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:29 pm

Really, so I've read that support was above average with Synology products and so far this post along with a trouble ticket about the same have gotten zero response
Dave_O
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Dave_O » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:35 am

Is SMB 1.0 enabled on your PC? If not, you can enable it in Control Panel - Programs and Features - Turn Windows Features on or off
dgoldwas
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby dgoldwas » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:48 pm

I'm having the same issue with my brand new DS916+

SMB is turned on in Windows, and my other computer shares are showing up under "Network" but my NAS isn't. I've rebooted everything, so that's not the problem either.

Any ideas??
Dave_O
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Dave_O » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:06 pm

I sure you've checked it, but the only other thing that comes to mind is a NAS firewall issue.
eaz
Skilled
Skilled

Postby eaz » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:26 pm

Dave_O wrote:Is SMB 1.0 enabled on your PC? If not, you can enable it in Control Panel - Programs and Features - Turn Windows Features on or off

Since the wannacry ransomware, I do recommend to switch OFF SMB 1. It is just not safe, the protocol is outdatet.
You'd best just make a network drive connection or a favorit to see your NAS.
Please share if a reply was useful or how the issue was solved, it helps other DS users.

DS415+ (2*4TB HD raid1 + 2*480GB SSD raid1), DS212+ (2*WD red 2TB), previous DS411J, DS106
Dave_O
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Dave_O » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:38 pm

Agreed, that's what I do. However, this does have the side effect of not allowing browsing of Synology devices to appear in File Explorer. Also, If I disable SMB 1.0 on the NAS, my FireTV variant of Kodi (MrMC) will not connect. That is not easy to recode, according to the developers.
dgoldwas
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby dgoldwas » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:07 pm

Dave_O wrote:I sure you've checked it, but the only other thing that comes to mind is a NAS firewall issue.

My NAS firewall is turned off, so I have no idea why it's not showing up.

Any ideas? Maybe something to configure in the "Advanced Settings" panel of the SMB section in "File Services"?
Dave_O
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Dave_O » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:53 am

"Minimum SMB Protocol" set to SMB1 in the Advanced Settings panel of the SMB section in "File Services" on the Synology, and "SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support" checked in the "Turn Windows Features on or off" panel of Windows 10 "Programs and Features" Control Panel.

Return to “Windows OS”