Windows 10 - Network connection issues

All questions regarding using our system with Windows XP, Vista, 7 may go here.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://account.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
ghradford
I'm New!
I'm New!

Windows 10 - Network connection issues

Postby ghradford » Wed May 10, 2017 6:54 am

DS716+II Previously had no network connection isaues. Now without warning, can't read data across the network using Windows explorer or Window Network explorer. Can read access and read data from internet browser.
Need help FAST.. have many network drive shares and unable to read or write across these.
Also, is there anyway telephone contacts can be made with Synology. I bought from them and installed a DS716+II NAS device as a semi-novas, have gone past my knowledge level and pay grade.
Any ideas on how I can fix my problem and get some voice time time with someone at Synology. :?: :?: :
jimsimpsoncpa
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Windows 10 - Network connection issues

Postby jimsimpsoncpa » Wed May 17, 2017 2:56 pm

I have recently experienced a loss of connectivity through Windows Explorer. I can access my DSJ213 through the web, and Windows 'sees' the Media Server (but can't connect),but Windows reports "Network path not found". After attempting multiple workaround reported in other threads (SMB config, ensure NetBios traffic allowed, parallel user accounts etc., etc.) I have finally discovered that if you use a Microsoft cloud account to log in to Windows, the OS will not recognize the NAS. You have to log in through a local admin account and then it appears.

Does anybody know how to configure the MS cloud account properly?

Thx, Jim
ghradford
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby ghradford » Tue May 23, 2017 6:51 am

Thanks for the reply, however, I a checked and iam using a local. still having problems. Windows 10 machine only shows itself on the Network. however, other machine (Win 8) show all of the network devices.
Any Ideas.. Need help really bad... :(
ghradford
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby ghradford » Tue May 23, 2017 6:55 am

Re Reply for more clarity..
Thanks for the reply, however, I a checked and i am using a local account login. Still having problems. Windows 10 machine only shows itself on the Network. however, other machine,Win 8, show all of the network devices.
This problem has basically shut off all of my business functions...
Any Ideas.. Need help really bad... :(
k163915
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby k163915 » Tue May 23, 2017 9:36 pm

You could try using the IP address, e.g. \\192.168.1.50\<directory> in Windows Explorer when connecting the network drive, instead of using the symbolic name. This did the trick for me, thereafter the connection was indeed again displayed using the symbolic name, as it had been before (I had first seen the problem after an upgrade of the Synology OS).
ghradford
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby ghradford » Thu May 25, 2017 2:51 am

I have tried using 192.168.1.48, the IP address on my system, and it does connect. Establishing a path to connect is not my problem; Being able to retrieve the data consistently without the system doing lengthy searching for the data, loosing the connection or even locking up the application requesting the data. Not getting much immediate help from Synology. VERY disappointed :( :(
jtseng
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby jtseng » Thu May 25, 2017 7:24 am

I encountered the same issue and found answer from this link: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Fo ... networking.
As soon as I set "Maximum SMB protocol" to "SMB3" and reboot my NAS, my Windows 10 was able to connect the NAS shared folder. I hope this can help your case.
techxen
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby techxen » Sat May 27, 2017 8:24 pm

jtseng wrote:I encountered the same issue and found answer from this link: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Fo ... networking.
As soon as I set "Maximum SMB protocol" to "SMB3" and reboot my NAS, my Windows 10 was able to connect the NAS shared folder. I hope this can help your case.

This did the trick for me! Thanks jtseng.

What is curious is that I have had no issues with Windows 10 Creators update connecting to my Synology 712+ up until recently. Perhaps a Synology update set this to SMB1 and my unit is set to automatically apply system updates. In any event setting it to SMB3 was my solution.
larsr
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby larsr » Sat May 27, 2017 11:07 pm

jtseng wrote:I encountered the same issue and found answer from this link: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Fo ... networking.

I have several Win10 computers connecting to the same DS212, two of them configured as members of a company domain, the rest not.
Suddenly (just) one of them stopped working, Windows couldn't resolve the \\nas\share-name, and gave error code 0x80004005.
But SMB3 as quoted seemed to fix it, didn't even have to reboot. Thanks!
ghradford
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby ghradford » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:39 am

Was finally able to fix my problem with connectivity and data transfer. Change to SMB3 for maximum SMB Protocol and set minimum SMB Protocol to SMB2 and large MTU for Minimum SMB Protocol.
Also turned of NFS on the same page... It now works after >1 week of Emotional Digital Trauma.
ghradford
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby ghradford » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:40 am

Restarted my NAS drive now I am back with the same problem of very slow connection and Data Read. Is there something that with a restart resets some setting to a default(s) that would cause my drive not connect as it did before...?
Back to frustration...

Return to “Windows OS”