I can view NAS files, but not copy to or uncompress them...

All questions regarding using our system with Windows XP, Vista, 7 may go here.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
Varjak
Trainee
Trainee

I can view NAS files, but not copy to or uncompress them...

Postby Varjak » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:07 pm

I see there seem to be quite a few issues popping up that might have to do with an update? I thought my issues were the result of my new laptop, but maybe not.

Anyway, I got a new laptop (Windows 10), partially because my last one seemed to freeze up saving some files to my NAS (DS214play) and a restart failed to boot the OS. That's an ongoing thing as I try and get my data off the drive; but now I set up my new laptop and had no problem mapping the NAS. I can see all my folders and files; but now I can't seem to copy files from my new laptop to the NAS, or uncompress files that are already on there. Is this a result of the update or something else?

Even though I can see all my folders, when I use the Synology Web Assistant, it tells me it can't find my NAS. Is that related to the update issues as well? I can't even tell if my NAS was updated to this new DSM version either.

My NAS also does not seem to 'see' the USB thumb drive I plugged in either, at least viewed from Windows Explorer.

What should I do? Should I wait it out while Synology fixes the update?

Edit: I forgot to mention; but my Mac Mini that I have attached to a TV can still access files, view them, and copy new files to the NAS.
Last edited by Varjak on Thu May 04, 2017 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rusty1281
Seeker
Seeker

Re: I can view NAS files, but not copy to or uncompress them...

Postby Rusty1281 » Thu May 04, 2017 8:07 pm

Even though I can see all my folders, when I use the Synology Web Assistant, it tells me it can't find my NAS. Is that related to the update issues as well? I can't even tell if my NAS was updated to this new DSM version either.

This is something that makes no sense to me. You say that you can see files, but when you use the assistant (why? why not use the web page and login into DSM) you can't find the NAS? What do you mean here exactly? Is your NAS on a static or dynamic (DHCP) address?

You said that your mac works just fine with this NAS. What method of communication is your mac using? How is it getting the files?

Is there a possibility that your new laptop has no network visibility with your NAS? Do you have any firewalls on Windows side? Native or 3rd party? Can you ping it and connect to it via its web page on a custom (5000 or some other) port?

A bit more info on the configuration of your NAS and its network presence would help. Try and give some info on that and maybe we will find out whats wrong.
Synology DS412+ (4x3TB WD red - RAID 5) | Synology DS211j (2x2TB WD green - RAID1) | RT1900AC
Varjak
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Varjak » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:54 pm

Please bear with me, as I'm not very conversant with setting up a NAS or some tech terms.

I believe I'm using DHCP on a FiOS router. I had a problem with a previous Windows laptop using the NAS (it had been working but then it froze and I wasn't able to ever reboot it, which is a whole other saga). I was using it via Windows File Explorer and was able to access files, copy them back and forth, uncompress files sent to me in the RAR and ZIP format. The new laptop won't do it, even though I can 'see' the NAS in Windows File Explorer.

As for the Mac, I have a Mac set up as a theater PC and am able to move files back and forth from the Mac HD to the NAS and vice versa using the Finder (analogous to Windows File Explorer). I can also play media files directly from the NAS.

As for 'finding' the NAS, the 'find Synology' wizard should find the NAS via WiFi; but it can't.

I'm looking to accomplish a couple of things:

1. Access the NAS from my laptop, move files back and forth, uncompress and compress them, etc.; just as if it were another drive.
2. My NAS also has a USB port, which should allow me to copy file to and from the USB drive, controlling it again from both the laptop and the Mac using their file management functions.

I can't tell you about my firewall setup; but I can try and find out whatever might be relevant.
Rusty1281
Seeker
Seeker

Postby Rusty1281 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:26 pm

Ok so what you are saying is your NAS works with your mac computer as intended (probably via AFP protocol) and not with your win10 pc. So 1st try and access your nas via internet browsers using its ip address and log in.

Check the File Services options in Control Panel and make sure that SMB protocol is active. Accessing via your win10 machine won
't be possible without it. After that you can try and access your nas via Windows Explorer via its IP address.

Type

Code: Select all

\\ip_address_of_your_nas

and hit return/enter key

You should be presented with a login window. Enter your credentials and you should see all the shared folders accessible for that user account.

If that doesn't work then try one more thing (you can try this also before trying to accessing your NAS via Window Explorer). Open up Command prompt on your win10 machine and type:

ping your_nas_ip_address

then hit return/enter

Are you getting any results? You should get 4 lines saying something like this:

64 bytes from 216.58.214.206: icmp_seq=0 ttl=56 time=27.504 ms
64 bytes from 216.58.214.206: icmp_seq=1 ttl=56 time=27.613 ms
64 bytes from 216.58.214.206: icmp_seq=2 ttl=56 time=27.776 ms
64 bytes from 216.58.214.206: icmp_seq=3 ttl=56 time=27.430 ms

If you do get something similar (but with your NAS ip) then the basic communication from that win10 machine is working fine and you can try and initiate a file communication via the step before this one.
Synology DS412+ (4x3TB WD red - RAID 5) | Synology DS211j (2x2TB WD green - RAID1) | RT1900AC
Varjak
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Varjak » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:21 pm

Okay, I found those settings and saw that SMB was already enabled (checked off). As an aside, I found this about SMB near the bottom of the page:

https://www.howtogeek.com/250228/what-w ... on-or-off/

This seems to be a legacy setting for older file sharing protocols. I need this for my Synology NAS? It's okay if I do.

As for those later steps, where am I typing those commands? In the DOS command window?

I tried copying a small file to my NAS again, and it still 'hangs.' I get the copy window; but nothing happens. It stays at 0% copied. It just seems strange that my File Explorer shows the NAS as an available drive, but won't interact with it. On my previous Windows 10 laptop, I mapped the drive and just worked. (Until it didn't of course and I think it caused something to happen to my laptop, which makes me doubly nervous about what's going on.)
Rusty1281
Seeker
Seeker

Postby Rusty1281 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:15 pm

Varjak wrote:As for those later steps, where am I typing those commands? In the DOS command window?

Correct, the command prompt.

Not sure what the problem is here. If you are able to initiate the copy process that means that you can see the NAS on the network, but something else is the problem here. Do the command 1st and we can take it from there.
Varjak
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Varjak » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:29 pm

Okay, thanks. I know this is probably very tedious for you so I appreciate your patience.

I did as you suggested and from:

C:\users\[USERNAME]\\[IP Address] I got the following:

The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

Just to be sure, I tried putting in the phrase: "\\ip_address_of_your_nas" which generated this same response:

The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

I know this is probably a very stupid question, but you did mean for me to use my actual IP Address that I get from my Network details, right? Even so, I did try both and both returned the same thing.

I did your second suggestion, pinging the IP Address and I got this:

Pinging 192.xxx.y.z with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.xxx.y.z: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 192.xxx.y.z:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

So something is actually there, but maybe that's just pinging the router?

Am I missing something very obvious?

(Sorry about being secretive with the full IP address, but I don't know enough to know if it's safe to do so.)
Varjak
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Varjak » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:00 pm

Okay, I think I found something very obvious. I was poking around the advanced settings in Network and Sharing Center and saw that File and Printer sharing was turned OFF! Does this need to be turned on? I assume so.

Just for the record, I'm 99% sure that I did not have to manually change this on the last laptop, where file sharing worked until it didn't after I mapped the drive.

Edit: I also found this thread on another NAS manufacturer's forum:

https://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?t=112857

Could I be having the same kind of issue with the SMB version?
Varjak
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Varjak » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:01 pm

It looks like this is more common than I first thought. I let the file transfer sit for a while to see what would happen (I was nervous, because last time it seemed to do something to my computer). I finally got this error message:

Error 0x8007003B: an Unexpected network error occurred

Apparently, this is related to the anti-virus software/firewall settings and/or the SMB version of the NAS. Changing it to SMB 1.0 seems to help some people. I just don't know how to do that.

Return to “Windows OS”