After 6.1 upodate unable to access device with \\ or view it on my network

All questions regarding using our system with Windows XP, Vista, 7 may go here.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
eaz
Skilled
Skilled

Re: Cannot access Diskstation using //DiskStationName

Postby eaz » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:36 pm

After the reset, did you use synology assistent to get it configured again? That is always needed after the reset.
Please share if a reply was useful or how the issue was solved, it helps other DS users.

DS415+ (2*4TB HD raid1 + 2*480GB SSD raid1), DS212+ (2*WD red 2TB), previous DS411J, DS106
jimfbk
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Cannot access Diskstation using //DiskStationName

Postby jimfbk » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:39 pm

eaz wrote:After the reset, did you use synology assistent to get it configured again? That is always needed after the reset.

Yes, thank you. I reset the DHCP settings (set to manual) and re-added the Admin password and turned autoblock and firewall back on. I must have missed something :) :)
jimfbk
Beginner
Beginner

SOLVED: Cannot access Diskstation using //DiskStationName

Postby jimfbk » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:37 pm

eaz wrote:After the reset, did you use synology assistent to get it configured again? That is always needed after the reset.

I tried everything. Except for one thing. I had powered off/on all devices, except my router (eero) which just had a system update. When I powered everything back on, Windows Explorer could once again access my DS415+.

Still not sure why the DS211 worked, but the DS415+ did not, but I'll just chalk it up to one of those things. All is working well now.

Thanks for the help!

jim
cliver
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Can't access Shares on DS216J with \\servername

Postby cliver » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:16 pm

Did you get this sorted?
I have just got the same model DS216j and have the same or similar problem.
I to changed the server name from the default "diskstation" to "NAS1"
Now I can access the shares and DSM on //NAS1:5000 from windows but from Linux i have to use the old //diskstation:5000
So, on windows NAS1 works while diskstation doesn't (this is what I expect) but on Linux diskstation works NAS1 doesn't.
I can't for the life of me figure out why.
Can anyone help?
DS216J 2x 4TBWD Red SHR
DualShock
I'm New!
I'm New!

Issues accessing Synology NAS from different computers

Postby DualShock » Thu May 18, 2017 1:25 am

Hi,

I've seen multiple threads on the boards regarding accessing a Synology NAS over the network, but I can't seem to find one that matches my issue.

I have 2 Windows 10 machines. I have a Synology NAS on the network called "nas". I am able to access the NAS on one Windows 10 machine by simply typing in \\nas. But on the other Windows 10 machine, \\nas does not work; for some reason I need to use \\nas.local instead.

It's not really a huge issue but it's just driving me crazy. Has anyone seen this issue or know what I can check to help resolve it?

Thanks!
Geky
Experienced
Experienced

Re: After 6.1 upodate unable to access device with \\ or view it on my network

Postby Geky » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:40 am

In windows go to control panel and choose credential manager.
In credential manager edit the user name and password for the DiskStation (or whatever your NAS is called) to the ones you currently use for the account that connects to the DiskStation.
Or simply delete the entry in the credential manager, then go to windows explorer and re-map the network share using \\diskstation\share
Alezis
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hostname not working in windows 10

Postby Alezis » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:31 pm

Hi everyone,

after a network problem on my windows 10 computer, windows suggested that I reset the network card. Indeed, it did fix the network issue but then after that, I cannot connect my diskstation with it's hostname (\\DISKSTATION).

The server name is filled up and the SMB service is running in the synology.

The synology shows up in the file explorer in "other peripherals" and "media peripherals" but not under "computer" where it used to be.

I've checked DNS setting in my computer and they are filled in correctly same in the synology (even use 8.8.8.8).

I read in many forums that I am not alone with this situation but I could not find a real clear answer...

The only way I can access the files is by typing \\192.168.0.200 (address of my synology) and I can see the folders but it does not shows up in "computer" section of the file explorer.

Any clues on how to fix this ???

Thanks !
HP Pavilion 15-BC018CA | i7 6700HQ | 16GB DDR4 2133MHz | Win10 64bit | Samsung M.2 NVMe 512GB 850PRO
Samsung Galaxy S6 SM-G920W8 128GB | Android 6.0.1 | DS note, cam, video, photo, music, cloud
Samsung TV UN50HU8550 | DS Video
D-Link DIR-655 v2.37 N Router
DS216+II | 4GB RAM DDR3L 1600MHz | 2X Seagate ST8000VN0022 8TB | BTRFS SHR 7.1TB | Write +100MB/s
DS411+II | 2GB RAM DDR2 800MHz | 4X Seagate ST320005N4A1AS 2TB | RAID5 5.78TB | Write ~85MB/s
CyberPower CP1000AVRLCD UPS
Arcegis
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Arcegis » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:45 pm

Hello everyone !

I had the same problem with my Syno NAS. Since a few patches ago, I couldn't access it by UNC anymore, only IP worked fine.
My solution was to disable IPv6 on my network card, and it worked fine after that. I still have to test a bit more, but I suspect this was the problem.
zippydan
Apprentice
Apprentice

Postby zippydan » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:03 pm

Everyone is posting in this thread with similar, but not identical problems. Here is mine:

Dozens of workstations with several Synology servers.

All workstations running Windows 10 Pro.

For the past year, and up until about a week ago, all workstations were able to access all Synology servers fine.

Now just starting about one week ago, ONE workstation is unable to access ONE Synology server via Windows Explorer.

It doesn't work with \\UNCname nor with \\ip.ad.re.ss

However, I can ping the server just fine using the ip.ad.re.ss and nslookup for UNCname returns the correct address.

If this were happening to all my workstations, I'd assume the Synology server was at fault. But all the other workstations have no problem accessing this one Simplify box. If this were happening with all Synology servers on this one machine, I'd assume the workstation was at fault. But the workstation has no problem accessing the other Synology boxes on the same network, and up until a week ago had no problem with the specific box in question.

Again, it is just the ONE workstation suddenly having problems with ONE Synology server.

Nothing has changed on my end, except of course that there are automatic updates for both Synology and for Windows 10... so again I have no idea where the problem lies.

Return to “Windows OS”