After 6.1 upodate unable to access device with \\ or view it on my network

All questions regarding using our system with Windows XP, Vista, 7 may go here.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
jej12
I'm New!
I'm New!

Path not found in File Explorer with Windows 10

Postby jej12 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:56 pm

My old Desktop running Windows Vista has died and been replaced with a new one running Windows 10 Home (Version 1511 Build 10586.36). On Windows 10 I am unable to access my Diskstation (DS412+ running DSM 5.2) in file explorer.
In File Explorer, The Diskstation shows up in “Other Devices” but clicking the icon merely opens the web browser for DSM. Intermittently and very occasionally the Diskstation shows in File Explorer as a computer but a click on the icon gives error message “error code 0x80070035 the network path was not found” ....
Synology Assistant finds the Diskstation, but attempting to then map the Diskstation as a drive gives error message “the network path was not found (53)”
Backup software (and the main reason for owning the Diskstation!!) – Acronis True Image 2016 – does not find the Diskstation at all.
All the above worked perfectly on the old machine running Vista. My Laptop, running Windows 7 also accesses the Diskstation perfectly and Acronis finds and connects to the Diskstation normally. No settings on the Diskstation have been changed. Both the Windows 10 and Laptop Windows 7 run McAfee Internet Protection, settings all seem to be the same on both machines, have tried disabling the firewall, but made no difference.
Cloud Station (connected by “QuickConnect”) works normally on both desktop and laptop and accessing the Diskstation via the browser also works normally.
I have followed the fix described in
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=106924
but to no avail... in fact this made it worse, as I lost the network connection to the laptop with SMB3 disabled.
The ability to access the DiscStation via File Explorer and map it as a drive is a pretty basic function, and having it not working is preventing my use of Acronis True Image 2016 for backup. My technical understanding of all this is a bit limited, I rather expect things to just work! I am really hoping there is a solution out there. Please can someone help!!!!
Busek
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Path not found in File Explorer with Windows 10

Postby Busek » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:49 am

Guys,

did you enable windows file service in DSM?

Go to:
Control Panel/File Services
and than enable Windows file service.

I tried a lot of suggestions how to fix an error 0x80070035 in Windows and than I found this! :D

After enabling for me everything go smooth ...
german_user
Navigator
Navigator

Postby german_user » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:48 pm

you should be able to browse the shares of the NAS by using \\NAS_NAME\ from any command prompt or search box in Windows 10. It may not appear in your network list or Computer(s) list in Windows10, this is a known problem but you can still open it, browse it and map drives to the share using the \\NAS_NAME\ method to at least get Windows to show you the device-
jej12
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby jej12 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:54 am

Typed in \\DISKSTATION\ to search box in File Explorer and on Taskbar, also tried \\DiskStation\ but consistent error message says

Network Error
Windows cannot access \\DISKSTATION\
and in see details:
error code 0x80070035
The network path was not found

All DSM settings are correct (and must be as the laptop can access the Diskstation perfectly normally - the problem is just with brand new desktop running newly installed default set up Windows 10.)

I have referred the issue to Synology Support and from a rather cagey, confusing and guarded response got the impression that they are aware of an issue with the latest build of Windows 10 and are looking for a fix.

Anyone who knows more, or has similar problems, please post here to let me know!
german_user
Navigator
Navigator

Postby german_user » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:59 pm

I'm not trying to be obtuse, but your DS is in-fact called DISKSTATION? on your network-

Try doing the same command with the IP address of your NAS \\192.168.1.x\ .
Try pinging the DNS name and IP of the NAS from your Win10 PC.
I run a few dozen Win10H/Win10Pro machines connected to a DS415+ and although the Diskstation never shows up in Network or under Computers, it ALWAYS is available for \\XXXX\- otherwise my users wouldn't be able to map their drives..all of these machines were Win7 or 8.1 machines before and the NAS did show up before Win10 upgrades but I can always work around and map- my users don't need to browse the network for the NAS so it's not a problem for them-
jej12
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby jej12 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:01 pm

Yes, definitely called DISKSTATION (Actually DiskStation in the DSM control panel) where there is also shown a "default gateway" IP address. Tried ping on the default gateway IP address which was successful (packets sent 4 packets received 4 Lost 0 (0% loss).
Tried ping on my synology dns address, also successful, (packets sent 4 packets received 4 Lost 0 (0% loss).
Tried ping on my LAN IP address for the DiskStation, result "request timed out" (packets sent 4 packets received 0 Lost 4 (100% loss).
Also tried entering LAN IP address and default gateway address at the windows search and the File Explorer search, same response as previously

Network Error
Windows cannot access \\192.168.x.xx\
and in see details:
error code 0x80070035
The network path was not found

As mentioned at start of thread, the DiskStation must be set up OK as my laptop (on Windows 7) accesses DiskStation normally and always has done. Also previous Windows Vista computer did so and no settings have changed since then. The problem is with a brand new desktop with default Windows 10-home installed by manufacturer/supplier - access via web browser using LAN IP address :5000 is fine - cloudstation works fine, icon for DiskStation shows up in file explorer but cannot get in through file explorer (clicking the icon gives the network error message) - or with Synology Assistant - network path not found.
Any more ideas would be hugely appreciated!
dsnyder86
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby dsnyder86 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:38 pm

same problem with message 08x80070035

can ping diskstation, and access by ip address to examine settings.

but by name access not successful.

windows file service active.

Sharing on nas folders very liberal.

I have shutdown from router back to pc and nas.

then repowered starting with router . same issue.

... I had this problem about a week ago when I upgraded but finally changed settings and rebooted to get a connection. Unfortunately I do not recall the exact sequence that finally unlocked the problem.

other programs like mcebuddy, silicondust recording engine can not access my server by name.

any insight appreciated.
dsnyder86
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby dsnyder86 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:58 am

good news.. I reconfigured my nas lan connection as a bond (2 connections).

once I reconfigured the named nas became accessible.

Although I did not try the following suggestion, I would suggest it now.

Reset the system using the red button on the back of the unit. There are 2 types reset. the first after about 4 seconds of holding the button resets the ip configuration. I think that had I, done that the problem would have also gotten resolved.

May be worth a try.
jej12
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby jej12 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:13 pm

I shall think about doing a reset, but bit reluctant in case I mess up what I have got ... I think this is a Windows 10 problem rather than with the DiskStation itself because all worked ok on Vista, and all continues to work OK on Windows 7 and Android... it's just the Windows 10 computer with the problem.

The "Network Error" box has an option "Diagnose" which I have run... this generates a couple of txt files which mean nothing to me, and a message:

Windows Sockets registry entries required for network connectivity are missing.

which also means nothing to me! ... but maybe there is someone out there reading this who has some understanding of what this message means, and even how to resolve it!!!

Otherwise, whilst it's far from ideal not to be able to map the drive, I can work around it and the main thing is that I can access Diskstation via the browser and that Cloudstation works. So I may just wait and see if a future Windows update or DSM update sorts it.
AlexCranswick
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby AlexCranswick » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:49 pm

I have been having similar problems. I did have,
  • Desktop W10 Pro - NAS visible in network in Explorer
  • Laptop W10 Pro - NAS visible in network in Explorer
  • Desktop W7 Pro - NAS visible in network in Explorer at first then disappeared
  • Laptop W7 Home - NAS visible in network in Explorer
Desktops are on Ethernet, laptops on WiFi.
Upgraded Laptop W7 Home to W10 Home and NAS disappeared in Explorer but could be mapped as a drive.
Just had a new Desktop with W10 Home today and can not see NAS in Explorer, but can map as a drive.

However since I run 11 directories at the top level on Synology for various different functions, mapping drives is a pain.

So the two W10 Pro PCs show NAS in Explorer but the two W10 Home PCs do not although the W10 Home PCs do allow the NAS to be mapped.

Now interestingly I also have a WD NAS and that is showing exactly the same behaviour, so I think this is definitely a Windows problem. I don't know which SMB version is being used and I haven't made any changes in there. Anybody got any insights as to whether there could be a difference in the network implementations between Home and Pro?
hinky
Student
Student

Postby hinky » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:18 pm

I have the same problem and am using WIndows 7. Same errors and ability to connect using the browser, found using Synology Assistant, unable to MAP the drive again or fix the existing Map that I had. Firewall off. Turned off and on Windows FIle sharing. Can't figure this one out. My mistake was updating the Synology firmware.
Ezekieljm
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Ezekieljm » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:41 pm

It seems this is a windows problem with smb

Patch KB3140743 supposedly fixes this.
muer
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby muer » Mon May 02, 2016 3:16 am

Got the same problem:
Acces with W7 works, with W10 dosent.

Using a DS112j with latest software.

Fixt the problem with the follow DSM setting:
- File Service / Dateidienste
- Enhanced settings / Erweiterte Einstellungen
- Max. Protocol for windows -> SMB 2 activated

and it works wit both windows.
:wink:
BaseControl
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby BaseControl » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:32 pm

I have similar problems for months now. Problem only resides on my W10 laptop and access through the windows explorer icon 'DISKSTATION".
Mapping multiple network drives did not work, not allowed.

My fix is to input the ip address of the NAS in the windows explorer, then i can access the root of my NAS. Strange stuff.
Saved this to favorites.
skull52
I'm New!
I'm New!

Can't access Shares on DS216J with \\servername

Postby skull52 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:35 pm

I just setup my DS216J and I am unable access my Diskstation file shares by the server name \\HAL9000 via windows explorer or from "This PC" I am running windows 10 anniversary edition. If I use the IP address \\198.162.254.xxx I am able to access them. I am on DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 8. I have an old DS210J on DSM 5.2-5644 Update 1 and I am able to do so. I have compared Network settings between the 2 and they look the same. This is a workgroup not a domain. Any assistance would be greatly
appreciated.

Return to “Windows OS”