Can not access Synology in Windows Explorer

All questions regarding using our system with Windows XP, Vista, 7 may go here.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
tirola
I'm New!
I'm New!

Can not access Synology in Windows Explorer

Unread post by tirola » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:36 am

I own a DS916+ with two LAN-ports. One is connected to a router and the Internet, the other (LAN2) is directly connected to a PC. I have manually assigned IP-adresses for the PC and the Synology DS on this LAN 2.

The Problem: I can access the diskstation with the PC on LAN2 by typing in the IP-adress into a webbrowser, I can also see the diskstation in Windows Explorer - BUT when I try to access the diskstation in Explorer by clicking twice, I get the message: Can not access, you do not have authorization etc. I also can`t access the diskstataion by tpying in \\IP-adress under Explorer, the same problem: you do not have authorization etc.

Any help is really appreciated!

Rusty1281
Sagacious
Sagacious

Re: Can not access Synology in Windows Explorer

Unread post by Rusty1281 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:28 am

Did you double check Network interface settings for both adapters on your NAS (Ip, subnet, gateway etc..)? Are both adapters on the same subnet as you PC or did you separate those? Do you have SMB protocol enabled in DSM File services?

Considering that you are not prompted for a username/password might also be that you have somewhere saved some old credentials that are not valid no more (guessing here). Considering that its reporing you dont have authorization might point in the direction of credential problems.
Synology DS918+ (4x4TB WD RED - RAID 5 with 2x250GB 960EVO NVMe) | Synology DS412+ (4x3TB WD RED - RAID 5) | RT1900AC

tirola
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by tirola » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:49 pm

Rusty, thanks for the input. Yes, I checked all these things, SMB 1.0 is enabled, LAN1 is on a different subnet than LAN 2, the PC and the Syno are on the same subnet (255.255.0.0.) - it is really, really strange. Specially, because I can access the Synology via webbrowser

JaapL
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by JaapL » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:41 pm

Hi guys,

Ran into the same trouble after a major Windows 10 upgrade. Now buildnr. 10.0.16299 Build 16299
Pinging the NAS and http(s) works fine.
The reason for this problem seems it cannot find the default name Diskstation or the name you gave the NAS anymore for some reason.
No more translation from name to ip-address.

I think it has some to do with Netbios TCP/IP translation. On my network card it is enabled (cmd: ipconfig/all)
Some new security feature introduced by MS?

Workaround is to add the NAS to the hosts file (C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc)
'ip-address' Diskstation
Don't forget the start wordpad or notepad as an administrator.

JaapL
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by JaapL » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:22 am

Hi All,

My workaround did not last long.
After starting up again. I couldn't access the diskstation.The entry I made in the hosts file was commented out.
After some searching I found my antivirus software was the culprit.
I modified the setting for this behaviour (off) and after a reboot diskstation was still accessible.

No final solution or reason found yet.

Greetz Jaap

tirola
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by tirola » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:14 am

SOLVED

So the solution the the problem was a reset of the diskstation. Press the reset-button for four seconds and release it immediately when you hear the piep (otherwise the whole OS will be reinstalled). This resets the network settings and the password for the admin.

After I logged in again and redid the network-settings, everything is fine. I can see the DS in the Windows Explorer

charlest33@gmail.com
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by charlest33@gmail.com » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:25 am

A couple of days ago there was DELL Bios update. Since then Synology does not appear in File Explorer. I've tried a rest as suggested above but that didn't work. Any other suggestions?

charlest33@gmail.com
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by charlest33@gmail.com » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:10 am

Can anyone help with this? In the previous post meant to say I tried a RESET. CT

KnightRid
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by KnightRid » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:19 pm

There is no fix. Only thing you can do is when you are in file explorer type \\YOURNASNAMEHERE in the address bar at the top. Sometimes you have to do it a few times before it shows your directory structure.

Code: Select all

Example to make sure people understand

Your NAS is named BOB - type \\BOB in the address bar in file explorer and press the Enter key.
i have a post in the forums where I tried every single "fix" I could find and none of them work. MS decided to remove the SMBv1 access stuff due to having so many holes and flaws it isn't funny and that got rid of the nice file explorer showing your NAS as a folder/directory structure because, I am guessing, they don't know how to program over at Microsoft to make it work without putting your computer at risk.

MagnusOfSweden
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by MagnusOfSweden » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:09 am

Hi guys,

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. This issue orginates from that MS have disabled the Client-side of SMB v1 (in one of the later updates).

I've also found a solution. According to MS support pages, you can re-activate SMB1 manually. I just did, and it works perfectly after restart (Win 10, DS411j)

1. Using PowerShell (run as administrator) to list all OptionalFeatures (and to find out what's the name of the feature you should enable):
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powers ... w=win10-ps

2. Enable the disabled feature using PowerShell + a reboot: Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName "SMB1Protocol-Client" -All

Now it works like a charm :-)

BR /Magnus

KnightRid
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by KnightRid » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:49 am

MagnusOfSweden wrote:Hi guys,

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. This issue orginates from that MS have disabled the Client-side of SMB v1 (in one of the later updates).

I've also found a solution. According to MS support pages, you can re-activate SMB1 manually. I just did, and it works perfectly after restart (Win 10, DS411j)

1. Using PowerShell (run as administrator) to list all OptionalFeatures (and to find out what's the name of the feature you should enable):

2. Enable the disabled feature using PowerShell + a reboot: Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName "SMB1Protocol-Client" -All

Now it works like a charm :-)

BR /Magnus
The problem with this "fix" is that it now opens you up to all the security issues/vulnerabilities that are associated with the SMBv1!!!!

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/m ... this-fall/

Before you re-enable this feature, make sure you know what you are putting yourself/network at risk for.

I am still blaming MS but maybe it is still on Synology...?? Somebody needs to fix this ASAP as this has drug on for months now and everybody just throws their hands up and is causing more security concerns with people reverting back to the original SMBv1.

abudef
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by abudef » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:22 pm

There is a new option "WS-Discovery" within DSM 6.2. This option ensures that DS is visible through Windows network discovery.

KnightRid
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by KnightRid » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:35 am

abudef wrote:There is a new option "WS-Discovery" within DSM 6.2. This option ensures that DS is visible through Windows network discovery.
AWESOME! I might download the 6.2 beta just for this as I am still on 6.1.5! Thank you for the info.

pgreslin
Novice
Novice

Unread post by pgreslin » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:47 pm

Despite the "WSdiscovery" option in DSM 6.2, I still have the issue.
Sometimes the diskstation appears in the network neighborhood, sometimes not.
If I desactivate/reactivate the WS Discovery option, the diskstation comes back, and it goes away a few hours later.

Clients are Win 10, last updates (and without SMB1 of course !).
Workaround is to use a shortcut in the Quick Access but I would like to make WS discovery working properly.

Any ideas ?
DS415+, 8GB Ram, 4 x WD40EFRX (btrfs, Raid 5) & DX513 Extension Unit

BillGA
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by BillGA » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:27 pm

I got great support from Synology but the fault could not be identified. I had a second Windows PC which could access the NAS normally. In the end I cut my losses and reset Windows 10 in the offending PC whereupon the problem was fixed. Drastic but maybe useful.

Return to “Windows OS”