No Access to DS416play

All questions regarding using our system with Windows XP, Vista, 7 may go here.
Forum rules
Synology Community is the new platform for the enthusiasts' interaction, and it will soon be available to replace the Forum.
viscomm
I'm New!
I'm New!

No Access to DS416play

Unread post by viscomm » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:10 am

Hey Guys,

I have had this 416play for over 3 months now and consider it junk.. It's the most difficult device to access.
Sometimes it appears in the Network folder other times it doesnt, some of my computers see it, some dont. None of them are setup differently.
Sometimes when i can see it in the network folder, i can double click the server and it opens, showing the folders i have inside just to deny me access to every folder.
Most of the time it will say it cant find it on the network, other times it will ask for a user name and password (Also annoying) and then come back with an error that ive got too many connections or no permission.
When i try to save a file to it, I double click the server and it sits there for 1 min or so before it opens the server to allow me to save to it. (if i even get this far)

Is this windows, firewall or the server thats causing me issues?

All i want to be able to do is access it quickly and easily to store files, save to it quickly without it thinking about life. Not have to put a username and password in everytime i want access and for it to appear in the network folder like every other computer on my network.

I know i can map drives, but i don't want to do this. I shouldnt have to either.
I havnt even attempted to use it for anything other an an external hdd so far as its so crap to deal with. I'm really sick of it to be honest, I cant even seem to find anything on here or google that even comes close to fixing the issue. if its windows thats doing it, why isnt it smart enough to ask the question "Are you wanting to access your own devices freely without being cut off for stupid security implementations?"

Anyway if anyone has any idea how i can use this properly I would be glad to hear how!

Regards
Chris

Shadow771
Enlightened
Enlightened

Re: No Access to DS416play

Unread post by Shadow771 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:22 pm

Reading your post it seems to me your are trying to access the SMB shares of your NAS using Window's network discovery, which in my opinion is VERY unreliable.
viscomm wrote:Hey Guys,
I know i can map drives, but i don't want to do this. I shouldnt have to either.
I actually think this is a good idea to try out because that way your are for sure connecting to the NAS on a more solid manner, like the IP address or DNS hostname (if you have a reliable DNS server in your network) of your NAS. Because I don't really see you have even tried to reach the NAS by the IP. Can you ping the NAS eventough you cant seem to reach it? Try the basics first..
Synology DS216+II <--> Synology RT1900AC <--> <site-to-site VPN tunnel> <--> Synology RT1900AC <--> Synology DS118

djlandkpl
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by djlandkpl » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:56 pm

If you set your shared folder user name and password the same as your windows login, you'll be able to access the NAS without having to enter it.

viscomm
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by viscomm » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:19 pm

I can ping the IP.
I have mapped the drive before but they don't last long before becoming inaccessible.
Its mapped at the moment.
It's stating there are multiple connections and wants me to disconnect previous connection when there arn't any. It happens even if i have just turned the computer on.

I will search for the shared folder username and passwords, not sure where these are as i havnt set anything.

Shadow771 wrote:Reading your post it seems to me your are trying to access the SMB shares of your NAS using Window's network discovery, which in my opinion is VERY unreliable.
viscomm wrote:Hey Guys,
I actually think this is a good idea to try out because that way your are for sure connecting to the NAS on a more solid manner, like the IP address or DNS hostname (if you have a reliable DNS server in your network) of your NAS. Because I don't really see you have even tried to reach the NAS by the IP. Can you ping the NAS eventough you cant seem to reach it? Try the basics first..

Return to “Windows OS”