Windows 10 - NAS not showing in Network

All questions regarding using our system with Windows XP, Vista, 7 may go here.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
LMc
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Windows 10 - NAS not showing in Network

Postby LMc » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:51 am

I believe this might fix the issue.

Go into CONTROL PANEL and FILE SERVICES and under Windows File Service, ENABLE WIndows File Service . . . and for me, my workgroup name is WORKGROUP
Dokta42
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Dokta42 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:21 am

New laptop refused to show DS215J under Network in File Explorer.
After much experimenting, I found that Zone Alarm had registered my network as 'Public' instead of 'Private'.
bivoy
Trainee
Trainee

Postby bivoy » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:07 pm

NAS must be in the same workgroup of course
in my case DS214play stop showing in network after latest Win 10 upgrade (creators update)
I had to go to Synology control panel and limit SMB protocols to max SMB2, when set to SMB3 , NAS did not show
JohnSmith75
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby JohnSmith75 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:57 am

Trumpy81 thanks for helpful list of advices dude.
CSFoxSDG
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby CSFoxSDG » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:07 pm

Setup DS216+II on Network. Created folder, users, transferred data. All good.

Phase 1:
NAS visible to Laptop 1, Desktop 1, but NOT visible to Laptop 2, or Desktop 2.

I checked network/sharing/system settings. All identical.
Since I could see the NAS server on Desktop 1, I mapped some drives.
Then I realized that the Workgroup was not set in the NAS. I added the matching workgroup name for ALL computers. No changes. Then I set a static IP on the NAS server.

Phase 2: I thought it might be fun to see if the Workgroup Name would make a difference. So I changed the Workgroup name on ALL devices.
Changes/effects:
Laptop 1 now no longer sees NAS server.
Laptop 2 now SEES NAS server. Huh???
Desktop 1 no longer sees NAS server, BUT the mapped drives all connect. Double Huh???
Desktop 2 - no change.

I have no intention of using this device for anything other than a basic network file storage location, but if I can't get every computer to see the device - it goes back to Amazon as defective.
If anyone has any ideas or solutions, I will be happy to provide any volume of additional details, screenshots, etc. I find it perplexing that I find myself wishing for the good old days of Windows 98 where network file sharing was simple, and WORKED.
trumpy81
Novice
Novice

Postby trumpy81 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:43 pm

The problem is not with the NAS, the problem is with Windows and how it handles SMB devices.

I have found that simply shutting down a PC or other device on my network can sometimes effect the ability of Windows 10 to show SMB devices under Network in File Explorer.

It usually returns to normal though if I reboot the entire network and all devices connected to it, it really is rather strange to be honest.

Exactly why it happens, no one knows for sure and various 'fixes' have worked for various people at various times.

So far it has been rather stable for me at least apart from the odd behaviour described above.

The fact that your NAS does not show in File Explorer does not prevent you from accessing the NAS though, simply type in the UNC address into File Explorer and your NAS will show up.

EG: \\DiskStation or \\IP Address of your NAS

Will show the NAS in File Explorer at least until you close File Explorer or reboot the PC.

I can't wait until Microsoft turn off SMB1 in the next big update .... I wonder what issues we'll see then. :roll:

Oh, and to answer the rest of your question, read this thread from the beginning and follow the instructions given here. I cannot say for sure that it will help things for you, but it cannot hurt either.
Regards
Andy M

Synology DS1813+ 8x ST4000VN000 Windows 7 Professional 64 bit Windows 10 Professional 64 bit Panasonic TH-L42ET60A Panasonic TH-55DX600U
dogga85
Trainee
Trainee

Can't see DiskStation from Win 10 PC

Postby dogga85 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:06 am

Hi All,

I have had my PC and NAS working fine for a year. I have just set up a new modem + range extender in my new house. So my NAS is plugged directly into my modem and my PC is connected to the network via the WiFi range extender. Now i can't see, or even UNC (\\synologyds215\) to my NAS. The only way I can access it is via the web QuickConnect. Not sure what the hell I need to do. I have checked on the PC and all network / sharing centre options are set to enable network discovery etc. Heeeeeelp please. My SyncbackPro backup won't work until I can UNC / map a network drive to the NAS again.
akahan
Skilled
Skilled

Re: Can't see DiskStation from Win 10 PC

Postby akahan » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:07 am

Is the modem/router set to isolate wired clients from wireless?
Grendizer
Trainee
Trainee

Re: PC can't See NAS on network as a drive but other devices can

Postby Grendizer » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:50 pm

Bazzerby your last answer solved the problem after hours of trying everything! THANKS! :)
In DSM control panel, I tried changing SMB options to other choices in the drop downs but it didn't work. However I didn't try EVERY choices, so if someone has the best solution to have the NAS appear in Windows 10's file explorer > network > computer, without having to install "SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support", that would be great, mmmkay?
Thanks and see you soon. :mrgreen:
billc
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby billc » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:00 am

There has been similar reports that Windows no longer will show NAS devices under "network" after updating to windows 1703. This appears to be a windows problem not Synology's.
In my case, I am running windows 10 on three computers all connected to a home network. In the past I was able my NAS under networks. Recently I upgraded one of the computers to the Creator's edition of Windows, version 1703 and then the NAS would randomly disappear from the network. Either all could see it or all could not. Was not a case where one computer could and the other could not.
After wasting many hours here is what I have learned:
If the computer running the version 1703 is turned on first none of the computers will show the NAS. If one of the other computers is the first one to connect, all of the computers will show the NSA. From what I have been able to find out is that the first computer to connect to the network becomes the master browser. In the case of the computer running version 1703 it seems to mess up in becoming the master browser. Hopefully someone out there better understands Windows networking and is willing to give some advice.
In the mean time, my work around is to be sure that the computer running version 1703 is not the first to connect.

There is an additional issue in that is that if the windows feature SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support is disables, than that computer will not display the NAS in the Network. Because of the vulnerability of SMB 1.0 to malware, it has been recommended the be disabled. This breaks the network ability to show the NAS device. I suspect that both and Synology are are responsible for this. Any one at Synology want to address this?
trumpy81
Novice
Novice

Postby trumpy81 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:37 am

I have not installed the creators update yet, I am waiting for the official push that will come later this month.

In the meantime, you could set the NAS as the Master Browser and disable the Master Browser on your Windows Machines. That may help in your situation.

To disable the Master Browser in Windows 10, right click on the start menu and select 'Computer Management'. Then go to Services And Applications->Services and look for 'Computer Browser' and right click on it and choose 'Properties'. Then for 'Startup type' select disabled from the drop down menu. Click on apply and then OK.

On the NAS open Control Panel->File Services and click on the 'Advanced Settings' button under 'Enable SMB Service' and then enable 'Master Browser' and click on apply. Close all windows.

Now, reboot the NAS followed by the PC's and fingers crossed, the NAS should show up under Network in File Explorer and you should not have to worry about which PC is booted first.

HTH

P.S. I do hope Microsoft and Synology get this sorted out. It has been an issue ever since Windows 10 was released. Microsoft have patched the problem twice that I am aware of, but I cannot help but feel that Synology has a finger in the pie as well.
Regards
Andy M

Synology DS1813+ 8x ST4000VN000 Windows 7 Professional 64 bit Windows 10 Professional 64 bit Panasonic TH-L42ET60A Panasonic TH-55DX600U
dingzheng
I'm New!
I'm New!

Cannot map ds116 but can see as other devices

Postby dingzheng » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:56 am

Hi everyone, i am new here, have some problems of mapping DS 116.
I have to Computers, I can do mapping on one of them, but the other can only see nas as other device. I even did reinstallation of the windows 10, it still cannot be seen, does not matter i use wired or wireless connection.
Help, pls.
Grendizer
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Grendizer » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:20 pm

Hello, when I posted my last message I only tried with one laptop. When I tried from my desktop, I found exactly the same behavior billc is describing.
So I followed Trumpy's advice and today all seems to work from my 2 PC's. THANKS A LOT !!!

However, from the desktop I have an additional problem (since I reinstalled Windows on my desktop 2 days ago, and replaced most of its hardware): each time I start it, I get a notification saying : "could not reconnect all network drives". My 2 shares (on the same DS216j) are marked with a red cross. I don't think it's a "sleeping NAS" problem as my laptop have already accessed some files on the NAS right before I start the desktop. To tell Windows these shares work, I just have to click on one of them. then the red cross disapears and I can use the shares. Strange problem. Anyone has a clue?

Hello dingzheng, in file explorer, if you type \\your_nas_name_or_IP , do you see your NAS' folders?
trumpy81
Novice
Novice

Re: Cannot map ds116 but can see as other devices

Postby trumpy81 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:23 pm

dingzheng wrote:Hi everyone, i am new here, have some problems of mapping DS 116.
I have to Computers, I can do mapping on one of them, but the other can only see nas as other device. I even did reinstallation of the windows 10, it still cannot be seen, does not matter i use wired or wireless connection.
Help, pls.

Try following the instructions in the post directly above your post.

let me know if that helps or not.
Regards
Andy M

eaz
Ace
Ace

Re: PC can't See NAS on network as a drive but other devices can

Postby eaz » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:41 pm

Grendizer wrote:Bazzerby your last answer solved the problem after hours of trying everything! THANKS! :)
In DSM control panel, I tried changing SMB options to other choices in the drop downs but it didn't work. However I didn't try EVERY choices, so if someone has the best solution to have the NAS appear in Windows 10's file explorer > network > computer, without having to install "SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support", that would be great, mmmkay?
:

From your answer I see that you understand that enabling SMB1 on windows is NOT SAFE and should be AVOIDED at any time. It is the basis for all modern ransomeware.

There are many posts how to reset the networking settings in W10, including deleting and recreating the network adapter. e.g.

https://www.howtogeek.com/265870/how-to ... m-scratch/
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/479 ... -10-a.html

even sometimes just putting a switch in between the router and the NAS solved the issue.

This should normally solve the issues without the risk of SMB1.
Please share if a reply was useful or how the issue was solved, it helps other DS users.

DS415+ (2*4TB HD raid1 + 2*480GB SSD raid1), DS212+ (2*WD red 2TB), previous DS411J, DS106

Return to “Windows OS”