Can't connect to iTunes server

Any questions/comments about the iTunes server can be placed here.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
cutcopypaste
Trainee
Trainee

Can't connect to iTunes server

Postby cutcopypaste » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:19 am

I have set up the server with shared folder etc. Last week I could browse to it fine (except for the 2+ minute loading time), but now whenever I go to the shared library from iTunes on my Mac it sites there processing for a little while and then just cancels itself and goes back to my local library with no error message. Not sure how to go about troubleshooting this
mblomquist
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Can't connect to iTunes server

Postby mblomquist » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:36 pm

Same here - it happened when I updated iTunes to v12.1 on my PC. it is inconsistent - it has worked a couple of times to load the library info from my NAS, but most of the time it doesn't. Probably a bug in the iTunes server package now, with a new iTunes on the block.

I have the latest 5.1 DSM and rebooted a couple times. so not the Synology - something goofy with new iTunes.
gdtrfb58
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby gdtrfb58 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:28 pm

Same here. Not sure if this started with the iTunes update or the DSM update, but both happened about the same time.
btw: I am running the latest DSM (Now update 2) and iTunes resides on a Mac running the latest OS.
TaffyDownUnder
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby TaffyDownUnder » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:12 am

Not working for me either. I should have bought the QNAP.
MacOSX - 10.10.2
iTunes - 12.1.0.50
DS415+ running DSM 5.1-5022 Update 3
tLea
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby tLea » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:37 am

Same problem here, and it's gotten worse. Previously I couldn't load the Server library in OS10.10.x using iTunes 12.x, but it would load on an old MacBookPro running 10.6.8 and iTunes 11.4. Now that won't work either. No problem playing the music directly through iTunes on the directly connected Mac, but sharing using iTunes Server is a non-starter.
TaffyDownUnder
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby TaffyDownUnder » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:13 am

All of a sudden I can see the DS415+ iTunes Server in iTunes on my Mac!

I don't know if it is related but I changed one of the MediaServer settings.

I logged into the DSM and opened up MediaServer. I selected "DMA Compatibility", ticked the "Restrict access to Media Server ..." box at the bottom and hit apply. Then the next time I went into iTunes on the MAC there was the iTunes server. This implies that as I add new devices to the network I'll have to come back to these settings to enable the new devices by clicking on the device list and selecting enable.

In iTunes 12 it adds a drop down selector to the library toolbar.
brezuch
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby brezuch » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:25 pm

Still can not loading library from Synology itunes server.

OSX 10.10.2
iTunes 12.1.0.50
DSM 5.1-5022 Update 4
DJ Robin
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby DJ Robin » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:39 am

I also have this similar problem.

My problem :
I have different laptop's with Windows 7 on it , Macbook pro and several iPhones.
When I open iTunes on 1 specific laptop and acces the iTunes folder of the NAS it goed back
to the local library. All the other laptop's (include the macbook) cant acces it anymore until
I do this :

To "solve" it I just stop the service and then start it again.
I stop the service by going to "package center" then go to itunes server
and choose from the dropdown menu stop , wait a minute , and then start again.

This fixes for me the problem that I can't acces the folder again.
But when I open iTunes on that one laptop and I open up the folder on the NAS
the service begins to "hang" again.

I hope this helps to get again acces to you're folder on the NAS.

I'm running this on a DS214 with DSM 5.1-5022 Update 4
eastvillage
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby eastvillage » Mon May 18, 2015 6:35 pm

Count me as another for whom iTunes Server is still visible as a choice in iTunes, but which never loads the library. Also, it can be selected as the site of the iTunes Library in iTunes preferences, but once choosing it, iTunes doesn't correctly see the music folder's location, instead displaying its location as "/Volumes/music"

Any advice?
eastvillage
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby eastvillage » Tue May 19, 2015 12:32 pm

in fact, this problem is not limited to Synology... I also have an iTunes library on a Drobo and it, too, cannot be loaded.

iTunes: what is up??
R3D'ology
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby R3D'ology » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:42 pm

Is there any news or solutions to this? I have the same problem.

Does it relate to the option to restrict access to newly detected uPnP / DNLA devices?
Or does the size of the library on the Synology play a role? I have around 80GB of music there...could be too much?
trkster
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby trkster » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:52 pm

I have two Synology servers, one a DS409 and the other a DS415+. The 409 was connecting, but the 415+ was not. I noticed that for the 409 in the iTunes Server application I had "require password" checked and a password; for the 415+ I didn't have this checked. I also noticed that in iTunes I had a lock icon to the left of the 409, but a music note for the 415+. Once I required a password in iTunes Server for the 415+, the music note had changed to a lock icon, and the 415+ connected.
skafoelix
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby skafoelix » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:51 am

Same here on a DS211j.
Was working fine for years now (apart from ~ 1 min. loading time) but recently stopped working.
Like others, I still see the library in iTunes but when trying to connect it just sits there for a while trying to load it but then fails to do so and returns me to my local library.

Return to “iTunes Server”