Transfer Music from Synology to iphone

Any questions/comments about the iTunes server can be placed here.
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
endora
I'm New!
I'm New!

Transfer Music from Synology to iphone

Unread post by endora » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:50 pm

Hello,

I have most of my music stored on my Synology but I don't know how to transfer it to my iphones. I have activated the itunes server on my Synology and I can see it from the itunes clients on my PC but when I try to transfer it from the NAS to the iphone, it simply does not work without any error message... I can transfer music from my PC to my iphone without problem but not from the NAS.
Also, I don't want to download it through the DS Audio application as otherwise the other applications on my iphone cannot access it.

Thank you for your help.

klchan
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Transfer Music from Synology to iphone

Unread post by klchan » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:46 am

I have the same problem. Hope someone can provide a solution.

AdeleB
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by AdeleB » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:59 pm

Do you mean to stream music from the NAS to your iPhone?

If you are taking the Synology route, you can stream out of the NAS, but not as you might think using the iTunes server. So what does the iTunes server does when enabled? It's a sort of custom DNLA server: it broadcasts some meta data about your music (path, artist, name etc) in your network. So, when you fire iTunes on your pc/mac, you can see the iTunes server on your Synology nas in the "shared" library list in iTunes. The shared library is just below the "store" library in the middle left of the iTunes window.

I have not yet tested it since version 9 of iTunes which now has the "Home Sharing" library, but I guess there won't be any change at all, so if you want to be able to transfer music to iPhone with the artwork and everything, you still need to copy musics from your shared iTunes library to the main music library.
Love to share ideas about iPhone. I use iPhone 5S now.

semper-fi
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by semper-fi » Sat May 03, 2014 2:11 pm

I have the same issue, I think.

The standard iTunes Server only allows streaming of the content via the itunes software on the client. What I -and also some other people- are looking for is a feature to copy songs and/or playlists to an iphone/ipod.

Has anyone any idea?

HarryPotter
Honorary Moderator
Honorary Moderator

Unread post by HarryPotter » Sun May 04, 2014 5:28 pm

Use DS Audio.
*Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!*

DS718+ / DSM 6.2-23511 / ST4000VN000-2AH166 / SA400S37120G SSD cache /16 GB RAM
DS415+ / DSM 6.2-23511

LMS 7.9.1-166, 2 Squeezebox 3 + Boom

APC Smart UPS SUA750i

VirtuaMcPolygon
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by VirtuaMcPolygon » Sat May 31, 2014 11:58 am

I also have been wondering this. Being DS Audio is flakey over 3G. And it takes forever to scan for music or find anything in it. Wish it would catch the iTunes library database locally... if somebody is listening...

I know the limitations of iTunes servers are to stream only but my suggestion would make it a lot less painful to use.

weballergy
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by weballergy » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:01 am

There is no direct solution for what you ask. The best is to have a shared folder from your NAS using for example WebDav, copy the mp3 folders you want from the Nas to your PC/Mac and then transfer the files to your iPhone using a software like SyncIOS which would allow you to copy files to your phone without iTunes.

Orlandoech
Rookie
Rookie

Unread post by Orlandoech » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:02 pm

Go to AUDIO STATION package, then SETTINGS > ADVANCED and ENABLE DOWNLOAD MUSIC

Return to “iTunes Server”