DSM 4 and iTunes 10 doesn't work

Any questions/comments about the iTunes server can be placed here.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
zorglou
I'm New!
I'm New!

DSM 4 and iTunes 10 doesn't work

Postby zorglou » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:43 pm

hello,
after the update to DSM 4, the iTunes server doesn't work anymore. I can found the server in iTunes, but when i clik on it : nothing.
Could you help me please ?

Mac OS 10.7
dial911
Trainee
Trainee

Re: DSM 4 and iTunes 10 doesn't work

Postby dial911 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:25 am

Same problem here. Just turned iTunes Server back on to use it on my laptop (as I have no music loaded) and although I can see the Diskstation Server listed in the SHARED section of iTunes, when I access it there is no music--- it is entirely blank.

Please fix!

DSM v4.0 - 2198
iTunes v10.6.0.40
Windows XP
sdlclar
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby sdlclar » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:02 pm

Same problem here. :( :?

After updating to DSM 4 I just see my sheared Diskstation in Itunes but no music...

DSM v4.0 - 2198
iTunes 10.6.1 (7)
Mac OS X 10.7.3

Please help !!
mjgaylord
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby mjgaylord » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:11 am

Same problem on my side. Just got my brand new DS1511+, installed all the latest packages onto DSM 4.0.

The diskstation shows up in iTunes but when I click on it, it tries to connect and then boots me out. Very disappointed as this was one of the reasons I bought the machine in the first place.

System config:
    DS1511+ on DSM 4.0
    iTunes Server Package Version 1.0-2197
    Mac OSX 10.7.3
    iTunes 10.6.1
mjgaylord
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: DSM 4 and iTunes 10 doesn't work [Solved]

Postby mjgaylord » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:45 pm

I contacted Synology support and they recommended the following:

1. Uninstall Itunes Server, reboot, then reinstall the app and see if that helps. (I installed build 2199 of iTunes Server)
    2. You can also mount the music folder to your computer and that would be fine with itunes.
    3. Make sure that itunes is the latest version as well.

I also updated Audio Station and Media Station to the latest versions. I don't know if this had anything to do with it, but I did it in any case.

After doing this, you need to wait while the DiskStation re-indexes your hard drive. You can force it to re-index by going to Media Indexing in Control Panel and hitting the Re-Index button. I have a fairly large library (over 400gig) so it took about 4 hours to re-index.

Now when I click on the DiskStation library in iTunes it works perfectly.
bluedoor
Trainee
Trainee

Postby bluedoor » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:18 am

I'm also having problems with DSM 4 and iTunes 10, don't know but for whatever reason i can't point (or add to library any artist) to the iTunes music folder in the DS 411.
I can see it within the File Station but when i open Finder in my iMac i can't see the same folder???
This is very odd...any suggestion, please?
Thank you.
bluedoor
Trainee
Trainee

Postby bluedoor » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:24 pm

I'm feeling desperate now!
Been here for a few hours trying to understand what the hell it's going on...
I haven't changed any settings on iTunes or DiskStation, this was supposed to be an easy task (adding the files stored in the DiskStation to iTunes), but pointing iTunes to the NAS shows all the other folders within iTunes library (Books, Movies...etc) but no Music folder???
It must be something very easy that i'm missing...but what??? What!!!!!?????? :? :? :? :? :?
pfr
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby pfr » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:45 pm

Hi Guys, I have the same troubles as you all and almost the same kind of gear: DSM 4.0 on a DS211j with iTunes server running, iTunes 10 for Windows on an ASUS ebox with W7 and an iPad which I want to connect. I'm quite new to the Diskstation so I don't know really what to expect since the description in the manual is quite short (too short) on precisely the iTunes server. At least I hoped to get the iPad to see my DS libraries through iTunes App on the iPad when the iTunes server is running on the DS (Pls anyone, could someone comment this. Is it correctly understood?). Tried out all the things mentioned here: deleting the DS iTunes server, reinstalling, restarting, and so on in random sequence, but nothing gives me any sign of the Diskstation under the Common resources in the left pane in iTunes for Windows. Nor the iPad shows any sign of the DS. Hmmmm :?
danielp
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Postby danielp » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:44 am

Please update to our latest DSM4.0-2219 and if issue persists, check in DSM>Firewall and create a rule that allows access to the iTunes server port.
**Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!**
Library ~ SynologyWiki ~ Synology FAQ ~ Compatibility Lists
Forum Links ~ Forum Policy ~ 3rd-party forums ~ Help us help you ~ Posting Images
Demo Links ~ DSM GUI ~ Photo Station
Downloads ~ Firmware Downloads ~ Beta Program
Support ~ Support Form ~ Submit Kernel Log ~ Synology eNews
pfr
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby pfr » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:47 pm

Hi again, Checked that I'm running the latest DSM 4.0 so no change there. Tried opening the iTunes port in the Firewall as proposed, restarting, reinstalling and restarting and so on - without any change there either. Again I may be a bit confused since I've never seen it work - what can I expect from the iTunes server running on the DSM? Will I be able to see my music library stored on the DSM from within iTunes on my iPad or can I do this only from the Audio station server running on the DSM and the DS Audio App running on the iPad? I'm really in doubt here... why should Synology have made two options for this: one through iTunes server on DSM and another through Audio station on DSM?? :? Thanks in advance :)
hebeldark
I'm New!
I'm New!

Itunes on Windows with DSM4

Postby hebeldark » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:37 pm

hello

i have a trouble

when i launched itunes server on DSM 4.0-2219, i can to see the media server on itunes in mac os x
but in windows, no !!!

i have reinstall itunes (uninstall, ccleaner, reboot and reinstall 10.6.0), no...

it was very strange because in morning, i saw the media server on itunes windows
but DSM told me that there were 2 updates: itunes servers and dsm 4 (v 2219)
after that, i can t see media server in shared in itunes

Of course, i try without firewall, uninstall, reinstall package itunes server

now i try with itunes 10.6.1...
chth
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby chth » Sun May 06, 2012 8:23 pm

Hi,

DS 211j, DSM 4.0-2219 (2012/04/13), iTunes Server 1.0-2199
Windows7 iTunes 10.6.1.7

The diskstation is not visible in iTunes anymore.

Please post when issue is fixed (which versions?).

Thanks & best,
Chris
zack4805
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby zack4805 » Mon May 07, 2012 2:27 am

I finally got my itunes server working. Server 1.0-2199, Itunes 10.6.1.7 on Win 7.

I tried the uninstall, reboot, reinstall, re-index but it did not show up in itunes.
Finally I went to the itunes server settings and checked the require password checkbox and set a password, hit the apply button and voila... the diskstation suddenly showed up in itunes. Afterwards I unset the require password and the server still remained in itunes.

Hopefully this works for others.
Zack
pfr
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby pfr » Mon May 07, 2012 11:04 pm

Hi Zack, Tried out your proposal - it didn't work for me :( Still no Diskstation in iTunes on PC or on iPad. Looking forward to some good news from Synology...
fraggboy
Beginner
Beginner

Postby fraggboy » Tue May 08, 2012 12:34 am

The issue is that iTunes HomeShare requires one to log in via their Apple ID. Synology doesn't ask/require this information, thus iTunes/NAS won't communicate together.

Synology,

Change the firmware to ask/pass the Apple ID to iTunes so it can communicate.

Thanks!! :D

Return to “iTunes Server”