DSM 4 and iTunes 10 doesn't work

Any questions/comments about the iTunes server can be placed here.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://account.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
dial911
Trainee
Trainee

Re: DSM 4 and iTunes 10 doesn't work

Postby dial911 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:48 pm

Same problem here--

I can see the DiskStation in the Shared section of iTunes 10, but when I click on it I cannot see my DiskStation music, iTunes just puts me back to the music folder in my local library (where I have very limited music as it is my work laptop).

About 12 months (and many Synology and iTunes versions ago), this feature worked well and just as advertised. Please address this Synology so that it works again!!!
c8rls
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby c8rls » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:46 pm

Same problem here, I have just bought a new DS411j, the main reason being for the ITunes server.

I *think* I have it all set up correctly (although the user guide is poor with regards to the ITunes server) I can see the DS411j under the Shared tab in ITunes 10 on my Windows Vista PC, the music shows as well...

On my IPad and IPhones I cannot see the ITunes server, I guess as the previous poster has suggested this is because the ITunes ID and Password are required in the IPhone and IPad hence the ITunes server is not seen by the devices.

This is of course very dissappointing, I will have to try other ways until Synology get this sorted - come on guys, you clearly advertise this with ITunes server and it doesn't seem to do the job!
c8rls
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby c8rls » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:59 am

From my post on here I received a PM from a Gentleman whom is obviously a Synology employee who invited me to fill in a support request etc.

I did this, detailing the problem I have with the ITunes server not working from my earlier post and have just received this reply from Synology Support!

Thank you for your feedback.

If you would like to access the audio files from iOS mobile devices, we recommend you to download DS audio in app store. Also, please open port 5000 in DS firewall settings.

http://www.synology.com/dsm/home_mobile ... hp?lang=us

Hope this could help.

No mention of why the ITunes server is not working or what length of time is expected for this to be repaired.

The main reason for my purchase of this unit was for the ITunes server side, I think they should be withdrawng all advertising of the ITunes server until they get this working this is a scandal for sure and very, very dissapointing.
Stivie
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Stivie » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:24 am

Hi Jack,

Thanks for your tip!!! I also activated the password for my iTunes server and tadaaaaaaa... There it suddenly was in iTunes!!!

Worked like a charm!!! :D :D
CooperX
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby CooperX » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:14 pm

Stivie wrote:Hi Jack,

Thanks for your tip!!! I also activated the password for my iTunes server and tadaaaaaaa... There it suddenly was in iTunes!!!

Where did you set a password? In DSM, where you can configure the itunes server? Did not work for me yet...
marcellinoj
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby marcellinoj » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:50 pm

CooperX wrote:

Where did you set a password? In DSM, where you can configure the itunes server? Did not work for me yet...

1. Synology (Start) -> iTunes Server.

2. In iTunes Server window, put the server name (Shared Name) and below, your password.

If your iTunes Server isn't installed (or don't appears in the 'start menu'),

1. Synology (Start) -> Package Center and install the iTunes Server.
Synology DS212J
marcellinoj
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby marcellinoj » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:59 pm

Cool. Works for me too. But only for music. When I tried to play video I've got a message from iTunes:

"This movie requires Quicktime, which is not supported by this version of iTunes.

in this case, not supported by Synology iTunes server, I think.

Does anyone have this same message?
Synology DS212J
fujirou
Experienced
Experienced

Postby fujirou » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:27 am

marcellinoj wrote:

Cool. Works for me too. But only for music. When I tried to play video I've got a message from iTunes:

"This movie requires Quicktime, which is not supported by this version of iTunes.

in this case, not supported by Synology iTunes server, I think.

Does anyone have this same message?

iTunes for Mac: Older media files may require iTunes to reopen in 32-bit mode
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3771

need to start iTunes in 32-bit mode
pas100
Novice
Novice

Postby pas100 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:25 pm

Hi

I uninstalled iTunes Server, reinstalled it and then re-indexed the media files and this worked for me

Return to “iTunes Server”