iTunes server not working

Any questions/comments about the iTunes server can be placed here.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
Qrszx
I'm New!
I'm New!

iTunes doesn't load shared library

Unread post by Qrszx » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:12 am

Hi,

Apologies if this is a repeat thread. I have looked for a bit and can't seem to see anything that quite matches my problem.

So, first off - I have managed to get iTunes playing all my music by pointing it at NAS/music for the files and NAS/itunes where I created a copy of my old iTunes Library file. This all works fine, as far as the few hours I have spent with it have shown.

The problem comes when I try to use Synology's iTunes server share. It loads for a bit and then just reverts back to the library of 'This Computer'. What can I do to correct this? And when I set it up, can I at least rate tracks through that library? I have read elsewhere that it's read-only, but I don't know what this means when it comes to something like that.

I am wondering if the problem is something to do with my file structures? I would try it all out, but it's considerably quicker to ask here. Plus, iTunes' folder structure is really ugly and I don't really want anything to do with it. I'll put a few details in a list and hope that it makes it easier.

- Windows 8.1 for primary PC
- DS214play
- Fairly sure my DSM, iTunes Server and iTunes are up to date
- I think I have successfully indexed my library, but avoiding doing it again as I have something like 63,000 songs now
- The iTunes library file is located at NAS/itunes/iTunes
- All my music is located in NAS/music/Artist/[artist]/[album] or NAS/music/Compilation/[album]
- My iTunes Media directory (from within iTunes itself) is located at X:\iTunes\iTunes Media for those 60 annoying WMA to AAC conversions

Really appreciate any help

Thanks

zdz
Trainee
Trainee

Re: iTunes doesn't load shared library

Unread post by zdz » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:19 pm

I had a similar problem on an under-powered NAS. I was loading the library fine on a newer unit, but itunes would hourglass for ~5 mins before reverting to the local library on an older model. (112 vs 115)

I tried stopping ALL packages except iTunes server on this (112) NAS; this then freed up enough RAM for the lib to load. Not a solution, I'm afraid, but give it a test. You may be able to scrape by, by removing any packages you don't require.

-=zdz=-

tbr
I'm New!
I'm New!

iTunes server not working

Unread post by tbr » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:47 pm

Dear guys,

I have the DS216+ and a problem with the iTunes Server. The Server is up and running and my macbook on iTunes also finds the iTunes Server. But then i select it. And then it says is loading. It takes a while and then all of a sudden without any error messages. I am just back at my local library.

I tried already to reinstall it and everything but I cannot get it to work !?

Any ideas or help ?

Row
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: iTunes doesn't load shared library

Unread post by Row » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:17 pm

I had the same issue. I spoke with Apple support (this was last year) and they said newer iTunes updates no longer supported NAS devices. iTunes hard drives needed to be directly connected (internal or external HD) to the Mac where iTunes is used.

I should note that I use my Synology NAS as the external drive through my home wi-fi. I simply had my library.itl file on there and accessed it via iTunes. I did not use the Synology iTunes server functionality.

Regardless, Apple said I needed to port my library to a dedicated external drive that was not a NAS.

This all happened last year and has been a big bummer. It used to work flawlessly and the whole family shared the library from the Synology drive.

jhwalker@mac.com
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: iTunes server not working

Unread post by jhwalker@mac.com » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:23 am

Same problem here - when I browse to the library via iTunes (12.5.x on macOS 10.12.x), it acts like it is going to load for about 2 minutes, then simply returns to my local library without ever displaying the contents of my Music directory on Diskstation.

If I were guessing, I'd say it runs into a memory issue of some sort - my library is just short of 100,000 track - but the log in the iTunes Package is blank ("No Data"), so no real way to troubleshoot.

dugnl
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by dugnl » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:14 am

I saw another post on this that was much older. I experienced this same issue for months. The issue is a memory or a process issue on the NAS. You need to go uninstall some packages. Once you free up enough, this issue will be resolved. I had a very old Emby install. Once I uninstalled it, this resolved the issue. I am guessing Emby was always trying to Index. Note, this was a very old install that to get it running you had to jump through hoops. It was not the current Emby app which is available. I have the current app installed and everything is working fine now. There is still a slight delay before my Itunes Music or video library shows up but it does show up. Unlike before where it just returned me to a blank screen.

If you want this working, go through and remove some things you may not be using and see if this resolves. I'm pretty sure it will as I went months without this working until I removed some packages from my NAS (and I still think it was the old Emby that was the real culprit but I also had other stuff installed as well that I didn't need).

Doug

achilleus
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by achilleus » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:14 pm

I'm having the exact same problem on a brand new DS216+II. CPU and RAM usage are hovering around 50% at the moment, so I'll try again when I'm not copying TBs of data to the NAS. But as far as I can tell, as soon as one's library grows large (and mine is composed of lossless audio files, a lot of them), the iTunes Server simply fails to do its job properly .

If someone has found a solution to this problem, it would be really good to know…

Thanks in advance.!
jhwalker@mac.com wrote:Same problem here - when I browse to the library via iTunes (12.5.x on macOS 10.12.x), it acts like it is going to load for about 2 minutes, then simply returns to my local library without ever displaying the contents of my Music directory on Diskstation.

If I were guessing, I'd say it runs into a memory issue of some sort - my library is just short of 100,000 track - but the log in the iTunes Package is blank ("No Data"), so no real way to troubleshoot.

m.buon
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by m.buon » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:21 pm

I think I found the solution:
1. uninstall iTunes server
2. install again iTunes server
3. change the name of your iTunes server (like from "diskstation.itunes.server" to "syno_itunes")
4. search the new server in Itunes

it worked well in my case.
Ciao,
Massimo

Return to “iTunes Server”