iTunes Server vs. Home Sharing

Any questions/comments about the iTunes server can be placed here.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://account.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
m0topilot
I'm New!
I'm New!

iTunes Server vs. Home Sharing

Postby m0topilot » Sat May 28, 2016 1:49 am

Is iTunes Server on DSM the same as Home Sharing in iTunes? If so, Home Sharing requires you to sign in with your AppleID, but no where in the Synology iTunes Server setup does it ask for you to sign with your AppleID. I'm not seeing any music on the network.

I do my music in another folder, but have the /music folder mounted to /Media/audio.

root@Diskstation:/volume1/Media/audio# ls -1
album-artwork
@eaDir
import
music
music-unorganized
root@Diskstation:/volume1/Media/audio#

root@Diskstation:/volume1/music# ls -1
album-artwork
@eaDir
import
music
music-unorganized
root@Diskstation:/volume1/music#

Does my music folder need to only contain music files in /music i.e. no sub folders? I have /music and /Media/audio indexed. The requirements are not too clear or I'm overly complicating it. I just wish the package settings you could define your music path dynamically instead of this fix /music folder.
DS1815+ HGST 3x6TB 128MB Cache DSM 6.0
oneorangecow
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: iTunes Server vs. Home Sharing

Postby oneorangecow » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:31 am

I can answer part of your question.
the itunes server is not the same as Home Sharing.
Here https://www.synology.com/en-global/know ... iTunes_Mac
you can see that you can't connect via iphone or apple TV.

I am trying to work out if I should choose the network drive as my Itunes folder, then allow home sharing from that PC, or if I have files in the DSM 'itunes server' that I might be able to still share that content via home sharing.. it might much the same, but I suspect that saving direct to a network drive would mean that itunes will have a fit if the connection is lost when that is the target folder, but if it is a itunes server, then Itunes would simply drop the connection... most of this last paragraph is conjecture. Can anyone else answer with experience?
One Orange Cow
www.oneorangecow.com
fischersd
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby fischersd » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:00 pm

Yep, it appears that all this allows you to do is to have a shared library. You can browse to it, but you won't have much integration with iOS or AppleTV devices. (and, you won't be able to get any of the Siri integration on the ATV4 to work with it).

I'm hoping they give us very similar Siri integration on the Mac with the MacOS Sierra update in the fall - then I would likely migrate from Kodi to iTunes for my Mac Mini HTPC.

Right now I'm doing an NFS4 mount from the Mac Mini to my DS2413+. My movies are stored there, but not my iTunes Music. I'd like to have everything stored there and be able to use Siri for iTunes and never have to pick up my remote to play a movie or music playlist again. :)

But, there's every likelihood that the Siri functionality will be pretty limited in the first MacOS release.

If you have an "always on" Mac or PC at home, that's how I would offload the library - house it on the NAS and attach to it from your Mac/PC running iTunes and share it out that way.

Another "biggie" is that I want iTunes Match / Apple Music integration with any iTunes Server that I do. Unless it has that capability to sync with the Apple cloud, it doesn't have a lot of use for me.
syno.dustin
Sorcerer
Sorcerer

Postby syno.dustin » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:10 pm

fischersd wrote:Yep, it appears that all this allows you to do is to have a shared library. You can browse to it, but you won't have much integration with iOS or AppleTV devices. (and, you won't be able to get any of the Siri integration on the ATV4 to work with it).

I'm hoping they give us very similar Siri integration on the Mac with the MacOS Sierra update in the fall - then I would likely migrate from Kodi to iTunes for my Mac Mini HTPC.

Right now I'm doing an NFS4 mount from the Mac Mini to my DS2413+. My movies are stored there, but not my iTunes Music. I'd like to have everything stored there and be able to use Siri for iTunes and never have to pick up my remote to play a movie or music playlist again. :)

But, there's every likelihood that the Siri functionality will be pretty limited in the first MacOS release.

If you have an "always on" Mac or PC at home, that's how I would offload the library - house it on the NAS and attach to it from your Mac/PC running iTunes and share it out that way.

Another "biggie" is that I want iTunes Match / Apple Music integration with any iTunes Server that I do. Unless it has that capability to sync with the Apple cloud, it doesn't have a lot of use for me.

Any reason why you're not just doing the same thing for music as you do with movies?
If you need technical support please use this form: https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php
Synology does not consistently browse this forum for technical support, feature requests, or any other inquiries as it notes at the top of the page. Please use the proper channels when you need help from someone at Synology.

Return to “iTunes Server”