playlists

Any questions/comments about the iTunes server can be placed here.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://account.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
asheenlevrai
Student
Student

playlists

Postby asheenlevrai » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:26 pm

Hello,

I am using the iTunes Server package from Synology on my NAS and it works fine :)

Obviously when I listen to the songs from a client machine I cannot create playlists in iTunes from songs stored on the NAS.

I notice however that some playlists are present in the left panel in iTunes. These corresponds to m3u files located on the NAS. So then I want to create such m3u playlists in FileStation and then be able to browse my playlists from iTunes on the client machines.

How do I create playlists (m3u files) in DSM (FileStation or other)?

Thank you very much in advance for your help.
Best,
-a-
HarryPotter
Honorary Moderator
Honorary Moderator

Re: playlists

Postby HarryPotter » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:40 pm

Open the iTunes package in DSM and click on Smart Playlist
*Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!*

DS718+ / DSM 6.1.3-15152-7 / ST4000VN000-2AH166 / 16 GB RAM
DS713+ / DSM 6.1.3-15152-7 / HD501LJ + HD502IJ (RAID0)
DS415+ / DSM 6.1.3-15152-7

2 Squeezebox 3 + Boom

APC Smart UPS SUA750i
asheenlevrai
Student
Student

Postby asheenlevrai » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:52 pm

HarryPotter wrote:Open the iTunes package in DSM and click on Smart Playlist

That's great indeed to create smart playlists. Now, is there a way to create regular playlists like if I would like to chose each song in the playlist?

Something similar to what those m3u files do...

Thanks again.
Best,
-a-
Ronnie Fastback
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Ronnie Fastback » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:35 pm

I would love to know the answer to this as well. I have a ton of playlists already and have no desire for smart playlists.
asheenlevrai
Student
Student

Postby asheenlevrai » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:22 pm

Ronnie Fastback wrote:I would love to know the answer to this as well. I have a ton of playlists already and have no desire for smart playlists.

What do you mean you have playlists already? Do you mean something like m3u files? Because then you should find them in the left panel of iTunes.

Now how to generate such playlists in DSM is my original question, though...

Best,
-a-
Ronnie Fastback
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Ronnie Fastback » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:01 am

asheenlevrai wrote:What do you mean you have playlists already? Do you mean something like m3u files? Because then you should find them in the left panel of iTunes.

Now how to generate such playlists in DSM is my original question, though...

Best,
-a-

I meant I already have playlists made in iTunes. In my perfect world, I could copy them into the iTunes Server and have them available. Even if I had to make them over, I would gladly do it. Only option I see is to make Smart playlists.
asheenlevrai
Student
Student

Postby asheenlevrai » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:30 am

Ronnie Fastback wrote:I meant I already have playlists made in iTunes. In my perfect world, I could copy them into the iTunes Server and have them available. Even if I had to make them over, I would gladly do it. Only option I see is to make Smart playlists.

AFAIU playlists (m3u files) are just a list of "shortcuts" that point to locations on a storage device. If the original files are moved then the playlist cannot find them anymore. The m3u file can be moved around however...

If there was a way to create m3u files in DSM (or in a file manager, finder, explorer, whatever, when the shared volume is mounted as CIFS/SMB) from songs stored on the NAS then we could use "regular" playlists easily. Do you know a program that can eaysily generate m3u files?

Best,
-a-
Ronnie Fastback
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Ronnie Fastback » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:44 pm

smookydj
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby smookydj » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:43 pm

Hi peeps

I've just posted a guide to get the right prefix so iTunes playlists work on other client platforms.

I had tons of iTunes playlists too and didn't want to create a load of new ones from scratch.

Hope it helps.
asheenlevrai
Student
Student

Postby asheenlevrai » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:30 pm

smookydj wrote:Hi peeps

I've just posted a guide to get the right prefix so iTunes playlists work on other client platforms.

I had tons of iTunes playlists too and didn't want to create a load of new ones from scratch.

Hope it helps.

nice :)
where is that guide?
smookydj
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby smookydj » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:53 pm

In this iTunes server forum as it's own topic. Currently under this one.

https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopi ... 7&t=121576
asheenlevrai
Student
Student

Postby asheenlevrai » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:16 am

smookydj wrote:In this iTunes server forum as it's own topic. Currently under this one.

https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopi ... 7&t=121576

great! thanks :)

will try soon

Return to “iTunes Server”