iTunes server or just use iMac and back up from here?

Any questions/comments about the iTunes server can be placed here.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
ngac
Trainee
Trainee

iTunes server or just use iMac and back up from here?

Postby ngac » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:44 am

I am looking at a new setup and can't decide whether to use this iTunes server or whether to just simply store all mu music on my iMac and back up to sinology via tie machine?

What would people say is the best solution?
Orlandoech
Rookie
Rookie

Re: iTunes server or just use iMac and back up from here?

Postby Orlandoech » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:16 am

Best solution is what fits yours needs. I personally keep my files local and backup as the iTunes server is slow imo
roarty58
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby roarty58 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:00 am

I have this same issue, and keeping the iTunes files local defeats the purpose of the iTunes server. This is a serious flaw in an otherwise great NAS. A 1 hour (well, 43 minute) HD show takes 3 1/2 hours to download to my DS413, but only takes 21 minutes to download locally.
Orlandoech
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Orlandoech » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:07 pm

roarty58 wrote:I have this same issue, and keeping the iTunes files local defeats the purpose of the iTunes server. This is a serious flaw in an otherwise great NAS. A 1 hour (well, 43 minute) HD show takes 3 1/2 hours to download to my DS413, but only takes 21 minutes to download locally.

You mean to upload to the NAS? I uploaded 23GB worth of movies today and it took 7 minutes.

My Setup.

MacBook Pro Retina connected via 5GHz
Netgear AC3200 Router
NAS hardwired with CAT6 cable.

I use the iTunes server for my wife as she likes to see what music I have and download some of my music so that is what I use the iTunes Server for.
FordGuy61
Experienced
Experienced

Postby FordGuy61 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:00 am

I do not use the Synology iTunes server, as it cannot stream directly to an AppleTV (which feeds my home theater system). To stream audio/video to an AppleTV / iPhone / iPad, you must have iTunes running on a Mac or PC somewhere in your network.

I put my iTunes library on my NAS, then map it to a drive on my PC. I then run iTunes on my PC. This lets me stream music and videos to any desired device in my house - my AppleTV, MacBook, iPad, iPhone, etc. - via home sharing in iTunes.

The audio/video does "double hop" across the network - from NAS to PC, then back out of PC to AppleTV. PC, NAS & wireless router are all on same gigabit switch. AppleTV, MacBook, etc are all wireless. Never had an issue with buffering, pausing, etc. when streaming 1080p HD video.

The iTunes library is on the NAS (w/ RAID protection), not on my local HD, so it doesn't get backed up with the rest of the PC. On a Mac, this has the advantage of keeping your Time Machine backups smaller.

I do back up my entire NAS to an external 8TB USB disk on a regular schedule. It is my emergency recovery in case the NAS goes belly up, I have two drives fail at the same time, etc.

You could work out some other options using Plex or the Synology audio & video server apps. However, if you're entirely withing the Apple ecosystem the above works pretty well.

FYI, the limitation on the Synology iTunes server is due to Apple (licensing/legal/etc restrictions). NAS from other manufacturers have the same limitation.

Return to “iTunes Server”