Mac newbie needing help setting up iTunes Server

Any questions/comments about the iTunes server can be placed here.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://account.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
awj100
Beginner
Beginner

Mac newbie needing help setting up iTunes Server

Postby awj100 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:14 pm

I'm making the switchover from Windows to Mac and trying to figure out how to use iTunes to play the music on my Synology NAS.

I've installed the iTunes Server package, after which the NAS's CPU and RAM went high for about 20-30 minutes before calming, but what do I now do with iTunes?

I've read the following Synology webpage and although it says "Launch iTunes on your Mac" the screenshots are from Windows. Furthermore, I can't find the "Shared Libraries" option that it refers to.
https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledgebase/tutorials/632

What I've done so far is to go into Preferences and point my library towards the /music share on the NAS, but I'm in the dark as to how I'm supposed to browse the library from iTunes. Also, I suspect that pointing the iTunes library there has nothing to do with my installing the iTunes Server package.

What am I missing?

Also, if pointing the library towards the /music share is correct, can anyone tell me how I can enter a URL for this? I.e., how can I use the myname.synology.me URL here (and what port would I need to open on my router/modem?)
Orlandoech
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Mac newbie needing help setting up iTunes Server

Postby Orlandoech » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:51 pm

Within iTunes, there should be a clickable HOME button that is a dropdown.
awj100
Beginner
Beginner

Postby awj100 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:26 pm

Do you mean this?

http://screencast.com/t/mun200ybEm

If so, now that I've selected "Shared Libraries", what do I do? The screenshot from Synology shows a list of libraries - it's that list of available Shared Libraries that I don't see.

What's the next step?
Orlandoech
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Orlandoech » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:06 am

1. Open DiskStation
2. Go to Package Center
3. Install iTunes Server & Media Server
4. Open iTunes Server and give your server a name, then click Apply.
5. Open Control Panel > Media Indexing
6. Within Media Indexing, click the "Indexing" tab and add the folder(s) you have your music in, select "Music, Photos, Video". Yes all it just makes things easier.
7. Open iTunes on your local machine
8. In the top-left corner select the "..." and click Edit. Add "Shared Libraries" and click Done.
9. There should now be a HOME button the top-left menu. When you click it, it should display your Media Server iTunes Server.

If none of this works, reboot your DS an PC and see if its showing. Also update to the latest iTunes and DS software.

https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledg ... orials/632
awj100
Beginner
Beginner

Postby awj100 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:39 pm

Thanks Orlandoech - that's got it working. I had done most of the steps before but only now is the Shared Library appearing in the top-left.

Thanks for taking the time to explain it to me.
Orlandoech
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Orlandoech » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:55 pm

Welcome

You'll likely have issues with your collection and album art. Let me know when that's a problem. These forums are pretty dead.
awj100
Beginner
Beginner

Postby awj100 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:26 pm

Well, I thought I had the situation resolved, but I've just opened iTunes again to find that the Home button has disappeared.

http://screencast.com/t/AoWhHAY8gE6

Is iTunes really this temperamental?
set321go
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby set321go » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:12 am

Since moving to iTunes 12 I have not had a working iTunes server. It shows the connecting wheel but never displays the library. There are a couple of threads on here about it.

It does always show up in the top left though. You might try setting a user that was one of the fixes suggested in another post on here, that seems to have made it more consistent (although it still doesn't connect!)

I'm running
DS410j DSM 5.2-5644 Update 1 with all the packages up to date
Itunes 12.3.2.25 (stopped working around 12 or 12.2)

Apple don't publish any useful information about changes so it does break without warning periodically, from what i remember there were problems when i first bought the disk station then it has been good up until now.
Orlandoech
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Orlandoech » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:45 pm

Contact Synology, as I do not have this issue or a fix.
NippyN
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby NippyN » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:53 pm

"You'll likely have issues with your collection and album art. Let me know when that's a problem. These forums are pretty dead."

I now have those problems! How did you manage to resolve? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Orlandoech
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Orlandoech » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:52 pm

Ensure you have the proper folder(s) indexed via CONTROL PANEL > MEDIA INDEXING > Indexed Folder tab.

Then re-index.
Then wait for 1hr for it to index

Then open the itunes server via itunes, find the albums missing art and right click each one of them and select "Download album art", yes do this even if you have already done this and/or have embedded art.

Then wait 1hr again while leaving iTunes open, close and re-open itunes and check.

Return to “iTunes Server”