iTunes Server - What does it actually do ??

Any questions/comments about the iTunes server can be placed here.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
alanshort
I'm New!
I'm New!

iTunes Server - What does it actually do ??

Postby alanshort » Sat May 30, 2015 12:57 am

Hi guys,

I've just got a new NAS and moved my iTunes library across and am now pointing iTunes on my Mac to the DiskStation mount which has the library which I've moved from local to the NAS...

It seems to work just fine...

However, I'm looking at the iTunes Server Package and have installed it, however don't really understand what it does or how it is better than what I'm currently doing.

Can I point iOS devices at it, if so, how??

I'm running PLEX on the NAS and it works great, I've also added the music folder of iTunes to PLEX and can play audio in the PLEX app on my iOS devices...

I'm struggling to understand what the Synology iTunes Server Package actually does or what I can use it for.

Any steer or guidance from you guys on the point of this?

Cheers,
A
CandaceVan
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: iTunes Server - What does it actually do ??

Postby CandaceVan » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:34 am

The Synology iTunes package enables me to open the iTunes application on either of my Mac computers and view what's on the Synology NAS as a shared library. This way, for example, I don't have to try to squeeze my large music on my laptop. I can access the music almost as fast via Synology iTunes as if the files were local. The problem is, as far as I can see, is that this enables my Macs to access the Synology NAS music library, but to do so from my iPhone or iPad, I have to use DS Audio or, uh, Plex? (Still playing with Plex). I wish that the Synology iTunes server could allow my iOS devices to access my muse from the NAS.

Without the Synology iTunes package, accessing music on the NAS would be more like playing a single file from Finder. With iTunes you can sort by Genre, Composer, etc., and set up (I think) play lists.

I hope that something in what I have written is helpful.

—Candace
ericbro
Trainee
Trainee

Postby ericbro » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:26 am

I'm still unclear. (I'm a Windows user, but have Macs on the network)

When I first got my NAS, in my main share folder I created a Music folder and copied all my music to it (in the iTunes configuration - Z:\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media). On each computer, I then started up iTunes, went to Preferences and pointed it to that folder. Seems to work fine. But, silly me, I got curious and installed the iTunes Server package. I still can't figure what it does any different than what my current setup does. I don't play music on any mobile devices.

What am I missing? What's the benefit?
LeeH
Student
Student

Postby LeeH » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:27 pm

Ive never got my head around it either.
DS214 PLAY
WDRED3TB
Wolf
Sharp
Sharp

Postby Wolf » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:10 pm

Totally useless application.
If you need to manage your large collection, well, it is better to use a PC and operate from iTunes.
If you need to stream your music and play from several devices then Plex is absolutely a MUST.
Router/Firewall pfSense 2.4 - Supermicro A1SRi-2558
AP Netgear R7000 (FW Stock)
Switch Cisco SG350-10
HTPC Intel NUC5i3RYH
NAS Synology DS1515+ (5 x WD50EFRX) 16GB RAM
NAS Synology DS213+ (2 x ST3000DM001)
Laptop AlienWare M17xR2
pezball
Versed
Versed

Postby pezball » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:17 pm

ericbro wrote:I created a Music folder and copied all my music to it (in the iTunes configuration - Z:\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media). On each computer, I then started up iTunes, went to Preferences and pointed it to that folder. Seems to work fine.

Yes it works fine, but to get all the music from the DS music share automatically into every iTunes, iPhone, iPad, iAnything on your network, can be convenient too. Why map drive letters when iTunes can communicate directly with your DS over a dedicated channel? Drive letters are so 1990. :)

That is the purpose of the iTunes Server, not saying that your approach is wrong, we all have different ways to solve things, and of course the limitation with iTunes Server is that the music needs to be in the common music share, it can not be in your DS home/music folder. So it's convenient for shared music, but not for private personal music.
DS214, 2 x WD30EFRX, Raid 1
NorCalAl
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby NorCalAl » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:40 pm

Can I use the Remote iOS app to control the iTunes server on my Syn? The app requires entering a code on the iTunes server and so far, I can't see how to do that.

Return to “iTunes Server”