SickBeard: Automatic TV Show Download

See if your 3rd party software (such as backup software) is compatible with our product.
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
gl278
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: SickBeard: Automatic TV Show Download

Postby gl278 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:31 pm

My experiences with installing Sickbeard (SB) and Sabnzbd (SAB)

I am posting this to hopefully help others with their installations. Although I have used Linux before, I don't program, so this is from the standpoint of a relative newbie. These are just my observations from trying to get everything working, which it finally is.

I have a DS410j.

I installed Zeb's SB and Zeb's SAB using the package manager built in to DSM 3.2. Although the SB installed fine, SAB did not. The reason was that the default port in Zeb's SAB is 8080 which conflicts with the Synology PhotoStation application which also runs on port 8080 by default. So then I uninstalled Zeb's SAB from the package manager. I would highly recommend that SuperZebulon change his Sickbeard package to install with a default port setting which does not conflict with any of the default port settings for the built-in Synology applications.

I then installed Merty's SAB which installed fine, since its default port does not conflict with PhotoStation.

You should allow SB to scan your existing downloaded shows. One thing that really threw me off was that SB takes a long time to scan and process the existing TV shows. It kept showing me empty folders, and there is no clue that scanning is going on, it just seems that nothing is happening. It may take an hour or more if you have a lot of shows and seasons. So if you have a folder called /TV just point SB to that folder and give it the time it needs to do the scanning.

I found the term "post processing" to be confusing because it means different things to SB and to SAB. This is not obvious to the newbie.

- In SAB "Post processing" means assembling all the separate RAR files into the completed avi. Once they are assembled, SAB puts the finished product into the /completed folder.

- Sickbeard uses the term "post processing" to describe the copying of files from the /completed folder into the final destination folder. Optionally SB will delete the stuff in /completed once the copying is done (there is an option for this in the SB post processing menu).
At this point there are a lot of posts which talk about going into the command line and using vi to edit the sabtosickbeard.cfg file to make the associated Python script work with SB. After a lot of time-wasting effort, I found that it's not necessary to use this script. Leave SAB at its default setting, which places the completed downloads into the /completed folder. In SB, enable the scan and process tick box so that it will scan and process the /completed folder.

Another thing: In the Synology SAB installation, there is an option to assign file permissions (e.g. 755 or 777) for the completed files. Do not leave this blank (I used 777). If you leave it blank, SB will not have permission to do its job on those files and you will get Errno 13: Access Denied errors.

There was a lot of confusion about whether Mert's SAB would work with Zeb's SB. They work just fine together. However, you must have Zeb's Python installed (for SB) and you must have Merty's Python installed (for his SAB). Maybe one day I will go back to all-Zeb SB and SAB to get rid of the redundant Python but not now.

I hope this will help some of you other newbies out there. :)
bumbo
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby bumbo » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:26 am

Hello all,

I downloaded sabnzbd from http://synoblog.superzebulon.org/ and it is working flaweless. I have also installed python26 initially before sabnzbd.

I have downloaded and installed sickbeard and couchpotato (from http://synoblog.superzebulon.org/ ) and i see the icons in control panel.

I'm confused on what to do next. when i double-click SB and CP i get "started yet" error. Not sure what to do next.

bumbo
Device: DS1511+
Firmware: 4.2 - 1922 (latest)
HDs: 3 x 2TB (Seagate ST2000DL003) in RAID 5
Wiring: Cat6
Router/Modem: ActionTec V1000H (4 ports + WiFi)
ISP: Telus
unknownclient
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby unknownclient » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:42 am

I am also at the same point. I have both sickbeard,sabnzbd, and python installed from http://synoblog.superzebulon.org/. I created a user name password for nzbmatrix, and newzbin. I donated to both services for credit.

My question is the folder locations for both sickbeard and sabnzbd. When I enter volume1/downloads as the location sickbeard downloads the nzb. When I go into Sabnzbd and enter this location to monitor for nzb files it give me an error saying it can not create the directory. When I SSH into the nas I can see that sickbead made a directory under /usr/local/var/sickbeard/volume1. when I try to cd into /usr/local/var/sickbeard/volume1 it wont let me. At some point I got Sabnzbd to start downloading files, but it paused and said I had ran out of space. I am assuming it was writing to /usr/local/var/sabnzbd/volume1/downloads/? Before I installed sickbeard and sabnzbd i made a new shared folder called /volume1/downloads/, under this folder i created /completed and /incomplete and /TV. I am using a ds1511+ with dsm 3.2-1944, SHR, 5 2tb drives all in volume1. I am new at this as well. I have searched Google, youtube, and numerous forums looking for a clear answer on how to create folders and have the programs download the files and and process them. If the answer is to edit a config file I have no problem ssh and doing it. Any help would be appreciated.

Update and Edit

After a week of fiddling with settings, putty, router config, I have finally stumbled upon my own answer. The real fix to most problems is a restart on the services you are running, ie Sickbeard and Sabnzbd. Until you do a save then a restart the changes are not really applied. Once I restarted the services the new path ways were being used. I suppose it is my instant gratification conditioning that made me think when I hit SAVE, that the changes would be instantaneous. I will be creating a HOW TO on youtube very soon as this was not very cut and dry on any website or wiki. Sorry for my ramblings or newbie style questions.
juan9999
Beginner
Beginner

Postby juan9999 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:12 pm

Can someone please post a complete guide to this?
Lerp
Apprentice
Apprentice

Postby Lerp » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:29 pm

Can anyone hep me with this:

Hi.

I installed a different branch from Sickbeard, not installed through a package.

It runs fine if i do:

Code: Select all

python SickBeard.py --daemon

But i need help creating an auto startup script for when Synology reboots.

I found a pyload script that maybe can be modified.

#!/bin/sh   
COMMAND="/opt/bin/python /usr/local/pyload/pyLoadCore.py"

start() {
   echo "Starting PyLoad"
   $COMMAND --daemon
}

status() {
   echo -n "Status of PyLoad: "
   STATUS=$($COMMAND --status)
   if [[ $STATUS = "False" ]]; then
      echo "Not running"
   else
      echo "Running as PID $STATUS"
   fi
}

stop() {
   echo "Stopping PyLoad"
   $COMMAND --quit                                                         
}                                                                               

case "$1" in                                 
   start)                               
      start                       
      ;;                           
   stop)                               
      stop                         
      ;;                           
   restart)                             
      stop                         
      sleep 4                     
      start                       
      ;;                           
   status)                             
      status                       
      ;;           
   *)                   
      echo "Usage: $0 (start|stop|restart|status)"
      exit 1                                     
      ;;                                         
esac                                                       
exit 0

Also another one here: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=26762

case $1 in
start)
nohup /usr/bin/python /var/packages/sickbeard/SickBeard.py > $LOGDIR/$LOGFILE 2> $LOGDIR/$LOGFILE < /dev/null &
;;
stop)
#Shutdown Sick Beard.
#echo "Stopping Sick Beard"
wget -q --user=$SBUSR --password=$SBPWD "http://$HOST:$PORT/home/shutdown/"
sleep 6s
;;
update)
cd /var/packages/sickbeard
/opt/bin/git pull > git_results.log
;;
*)
echo "Usage: $0 {start|stop|update}"
exit 1
;;
esac

This last one includes an update feature if i'm not wrong, i don't need that.

My installation directory is in:
/volume1/@appstore/sickbeard

Can anyone help me out on what to modify or how to create an auto startup script to run sickbeard as daemon and where to place it?

Thanks in advance!! :wink:
andrez
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby andrez » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:46 am

Really impressive suggestions in this thread. Hoping I can get an answer to my question although I am a complete novice with linux... following the steps at the beginning of this discussion will it allow the DS209 to run sabnzbd / sickbeard on the diskstation without having a to use the computer being powered on...?
defecta
Trainee
Trainee

Postby defecta » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:20 pm

I tried to follow this thread to get get Sickbeard installed and working and after a few late nights of trying i got most of the way there and then I found this.

http://www.synocommunity.com

They have a repository of packages that made it a no brainer to install on my 1512+.

I highly recommend anyone having issues to use their repository. It was almost flawless for me.

I just need to get the sabtosickbeard post processing script working its moving the files to my TV folder but not to the show folders. I am getting a permissions error in sabnzbd.
trankil
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby trankil » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:52 pm

hi, i have the same problem
do you solve it ???

Lerp wrote:Can anyone hep me with this:

Hi.

I installed a different branch from Sickbeard, not installed through a package.

It runs fine if i do:

python SickBeard.py --daemon

But i need help creating an auto startup script for when Synology reboots.

I found a pyload script that maybe can be modified.

#!/bin/sh   
COMMAND="/opt/bin/python /usr/local/pyload/pyLoadCore.py"

start() {
   echo "Starting PyLoad"
   $COMMAND --daemon
}

status() {
   echo -n "Status of PyLoad: "
   STATUS=$($COMMAND --status)
   if [[ $STATUS = "False" ]]; then
      echo "Not running"
   else
      echo "Running as PID $STATUS"
   fi
}

stop() {
   echo "Stopping PyLoad"
   $COMMAND --quit                                                         
}                                                                               

case "$1" in                                 
   start)                               
      start                       
      ;;                           
   stop)                               
      stop                         
      ;;                           
   restart)                             
      stop                         
      sleep 4                     
      start                       
      ;;                           
   status)                             
      status                       
      ;;           
   *)                   
      echo "Usage: $0 (start|stop|restart|status)"
      exit 1                                     
      ;;                                         
esac                                                       
exit 0

Also another one here: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=26762

case $1 in
start)
nohup /usr/bin/python /var/packages/sickbeard/SickBeard.py > $LOGDIR/$LOGFILE 2> $LOGDIR/$LOGFILE < /dev/null &
;;
stop)
#Shutdown Sick Beard.
#echo "Stopping Sick Beard"
wget -q --user=$SBUSR --password=$SBPWD "http://$HOST:$PORT/home/shutdown/"
sleep 6s
;;
update)
cd /var/packages/sickbeard
/opt/bin/git pull > git_results.log
;;
*)
echo "Usage: $0 {start|stop|update}"
exit 1
;;
esac

This last one includes an update feature if i'm not wrong, i don't need that.

My installation directory is in:
/volume1/@appstore/sickbeard

Can anyone help me out on what to modify or how to create an auto startup script to run sickbeard as daemon and where to place it?

Thanks in advance!! :wink:
chouf
Beginner
Beginner

Postby chouf » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:28 am

I didn't read the last 7 pages, but I see that the official Sickbeard site points to this forum threads as the guide on how to install SB on a DS.

I've just installed SB on my DS211j in 2 minutes, so here's the quickest and easiest way to proceed :

- Add http://synopkg.superzebulon.org/spkrepo/packages into synology package centre.
You will have Sickbeard, Couch Potato, SABnzbd, Headphones, and Transmission ready to install.

That's it.

Install Python first (you'll get a warning anyway from SB), then SB. Once the install is completed, browse to http://IP-OF-YOUR-DS/8081 and you should have SB waiting for you
mattn85
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby mattn85 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:28 pm

I recently got a Synology DS213j. I have tried to install sickbeard before with no luck due to the newer architecture and have had no luck. does anyone know if this has been resolved?
joereacher
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby joereacher » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:36 am

mattn85 wrote:I recently got a Synology DS213j. I have tried to install sickbeard before with no luck due to the newer architecture and have had no luck. does anyone know if this has been resolved?

Ditto, I've got the same model, but get a timeout on the url, not only for Sickbeard but anything I've installed, I've obviously missed some setup, but not sure what.
daphatty
Trainee
Trainee

Postby daphatty » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:00 am

Have you guys checked out http://www.synocommunity.com/ ? They have pre-built packages for Sickbeard and SAB that you can install using Package Center. I haven't tried these myself (I already have Sickbeard and SAB running on a MAC) but they are worth a shot.
Synology 1815+ | 16 GBs of RAM | 24TBs RAW storage
Firstsage
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Firstsage » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:10 am

daphatty wrote:Have you guys checked out http://www.synocommunity.com/ ? They have pre-built packages for Sickbeard and SAB that you can install using Package Center. I haven't tried these myself (I already have Sickbeard and SAB running on a MAC) but they are worth a shot.

I have been 213j all evening trying to get SB installed. Their site says I need a version of Python installed, 2.5,2.6 or 2.7, but the 2.7 version I am able to install it doesnt seem to like. I get an error stating I need Python >=2.6.6-5, which I can't find a compatible version for the 213j.
I have looked at the above site and http://synoblog.superzebulon.org/ without any luck. If you have any ideas on how I can find a compatible version of Python that SB works with I would be very appreciated.

Thanks!
keyman26
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby keyman26 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:11 am

Firstsage wrote:
daphatty wrote:Have you guys checked out http://www.synocommunity.com/ ? They have pre-built packages for Sickbeard and SAB that you can install using Package Center. I haven't tried these myself (I already have Sickbeard and SAB running on a MAC) but they are worth a shot.

I have been 213j all evening trying to get SB installed. Their site says I need a version of Python installed, 2.5,2.6 or 2.7, but the 2.7 version I am able to install it doesnt seem to like. I get an error stating I need Python >=2.6.6-5, which I can't find a compatible version for the 213j.
I have looked at the above site and http://synoblog.superzebulon.org/ without any luck. If you have any ideas on how I can find a compatible version of Python that SB works with I would be very appreciated.

Thanks!

I've got a 1513+ (running 4.3-3827 as of a few minutes ago.) I added the superzebulon package and then tried to install sickbeard, but got the notice about needing python installed - my only 'official' choices seemed to be python 2.7.x or 3.x - so tried python 2.7.3-0015 - but sickbeard is having none of that. Not sure i trust myself to try and compile a 2.6.6-5 python myself unless there's no other option.
Not sure if sickbeard is still a live project or if someone else has done the hard yards and can point us at a precompiled python package that sickbeard is ok with.

Cheers
BUGabundo
Versed
Versed

Postby BUGabundo » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:26 am

keyman26 wrote:
Firstsage wrote:

Thanks!

I've got a 1513+ (running 4.3-3827 as of a few minutes ago.) I added the superzebulon package and then tried to install sickbeard, but got the notice about needing python installed - my only 'official' choices seemed to be python 2.7.x or 3.x - so tried python 2.7.3-0015 - but sickbeard is having none of that. Not sure i trust myself to try and compile a 2.6.6-5 python myself unless there's no other option.
Not sure if sickbeard is still a live project or if someone else has done the hard yards and can point us at a precompiled python package that sickbeard is ok with.

Cheers

2.6 works just fine and is available on IPKG
DS411j
DS214play

Return to “Software Compatibility Lists”