using own software on Synology

See if your 3rd party software (such as backup software) is compatible with our product.
Forum rules
Synology Community is the new platform for the enthusiasts' interaction, and it will soon be available to replace the Forum.
achoflexa
I'm New!
I'm New!

using own software on Synology

Unread post by achoflexa » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:28 pm

Hi There,

Since 6 months now im using a synology. i have an own dentist. Im using the Synology for a filamaneger in the office. We work with 4 people. We use a software(self made) to register our patients. This software is now on a windows pc(installed). And the windows pc is shared.. Now i have a question.

is it possible to use a windows program on a synology? it is setup file..(exe). Its using a database. COuld some one please help me?

thnx!

blondangel
Beginner
Beginner

Re: using own software on Synology

Unread post by blondangel » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:48 pm

Synology has docker -- docker allows you to run a fully-featured linux machine. Could your app be installed in Linux? If yes, then download the package docker, then LXQT and see if you can install your app onto LXQT.

If you cannot install on linux, then one alternative is to map a drive on your windows machine to a shared folder on synology. Either install the app onto the networked drive or install the app as normal and have all its data on the network drive. Hope this helps.

Rhubarb
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Rhubarb » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:53 am

achoflexa wrote:Hi There,

Since 6 months now im using a synology. i have an own dentist. Im using the Synology for a filamaneger in the office. We work with 4 people. We use a software(self made) to register our patients. This software is now on a windows pc(installed). And the windows pc is shared.. Now i have a question.

is it possible to use a windows program on a synology? it is setup file..(exe). Its using a database. COuld some one please help me?

thnx!
I don't believe that you have any hope of installing the Windows program onto the Synology BUT there should be nothing to stop several Windows PCs in you office from accessing/modifying the datafiles that you have stored on the NAS. Guess it all depends on whether your self made software is multi user and you have mapped the database folder location on the NAS as a local folder on all of the Windows PCs that you want to allow to access it.

Rusty1281
Sagacious
Sagacious

Unread post by Rusty1281 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:21 pm

Another option is to run VMM package on the NAS (depeding on the model) and install a Windows virtual machine on it. Then run your software on that VM insted on a bare metal win machine in your office.

VMM package is compatible with these models: https://www.synology.com/en-global/dsm/ ... ualization
Synology DS918+ (4x4TB WD RED - RAID 5 with 2x250GB 960EVO NVMe) | Synology DS412+ (4x3TB WD RED - RAID 5) | RT1900AC

Return to “Software Compatibility Lists”