Ipkg, optware and DSM6.0?

Questions about IPKG can go here!
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
Blueyed1
Experienced
Experienced

Ipkg, optware and DSM6.0?

Unread post by Blueyed1 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:45 pm

Hi
Anyone got IPKG/optware running with DSM6.0? I dont think my install of ipkg runs after I upgraded to DSM 6.0 from 5.2.
I downgraded to DSM5.2 again, but having a few errors, one with Cloudstation and one with PHP.

Im looking for a step by step guide to get ipkg running with DSM6.0 so I can run kissdx, and lftp, from my DS211+.

The

Code: Select all

/root/.profile
looks very different from DSM5.2 and does not contain

PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/syno/sbin:/usr/syno/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin
 export PATH
that i used to put a # in front of to keep ipkg working.

If I cant get i working, I think I have to stay on DSM5.2 :cry:

Thanks
/Blueyed1

d8dial
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Ipkg, optware and DSM6.0?

Unread post by d8dial » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:47 am

I found ipkg and Apache missing after DSM 6 update. I re installed both ipkg and Apache 2.2. Now ' ipkg list_installed' shows Apache is installed but I still get 400 error response when I use my xxx.php file to access a restApi with a Get. Error also list: server:Nginx even though HTTP Backend Server setting in Web Station is set to Apache 2.2. Seems like Apache is still broken. Maybe someone can figure this out. Everything worked fine in DSM 5.

curby
Novice
Novice

Unread post by curby » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:13 am

Just curious if anyone is running entware-ng with DSM6, or if the posters above are willing to try it. It seems more well-supported than optware, so it might work better? Not sure.

zardoz
Experienced
Experienced

Unread post by zardoz » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:02 pm

Yes I have installed entware-ng on DSM6 on my 415+
Seems to work OK, but not used it much

mnpguy
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by mnpguy » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:48 pm

Installation under DSM 6.0 was "successful" following the directions at https://github.com/Entware-ng/Entware-n ... nology-NAS

Since we no longer ssh to root under DSM 6.0, changing the /root/.profile file has not effect. Adding the

. /opt/etc/profile
line to /etc/profile makes PATH include the /opt/bin and /opt/sbin directories.

The directions to add two lines to /etc/rc.local created a new file without execute permissions. I added execute permissions. For reference, all the other rc. files except rc.wifi were executable. Don't know if that "change" was necessary??

I have not actually used any entware packages yet. The hope is to get fetchmail and procmail to behave the way they work on the retiring linux box.

zardoz
Experienced
Experienced

Unread post by zardoz » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:33 pm

The other option is the Debian Chroot Package from SynoCommunity (http://packages.synocommunity.com/)
This means you can run more packages as they don't have to be re-compiled for Entware

curby
Novice
Novice

Unread post by curby » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:34 pm

Thanks for the feedback! Did any of you upgrade from 5.2 to 6.0 with entware-ng already installed, or was this a "fresh entware install" when the NAS was already on 6.0? I currently have entware installed on 5.2, and am wondering what might break upon upgrade.

Blueyed1
Experienced
Experienced

Unread post by Blueyed1 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:21 am

mnpguy wrote:Installation under DSM 6.0 was "successful" following the directions at https://github.com/Entware-ng/Entware-n ... nology-NAS

Since we no longer ssh to root under DSM 6.0, changing the /root/.profile file has not effect. Adding the

. /opt/etc/profile
line to /etc/profile makes PATH include the /opt/bin and /opt/sbin directories.

The directions to add two lines to /etc/rc.local created a new file without execute permissions. I added execute permissions. For reference, all the other rc. files except rc.wifi were executable. Don't know if that "change" was necessary??

I have not actually used any entware packages yet. The hope is to get fetchmail and procmail to behave the way they work on the retiring linux box.
Do I understand this correct. If I do the changes to /etc/profile like you say above, this will make ipkg run like it did on DSM5.2?

mnpguy
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by mnpguy » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:06 pm

Do I understand this correct. If I do the changes to /etc/profile like you say above, this will make ipkg run like it did on DSM5.2?
My NAS came with 5.2, I upgraded it to 6.0 before installing anything. Apologies: I was installing the entware-ng package and needed to make changes so that I could at least run opkg. I have gone no further with entware while I learn debian-chroot. There too, the documentation is incomplete, wrong in some details, and missing information needed for 6.0

Regarding ipkg: DSM 6.0 ssh seems to require that the ssh user be a member of the administrator group but NOT root, so a similar change is probably needed for ipkg. No idea if that change would be sufficient.

PtolemyIV
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by PtolemyIV » Sun May 01, 2016 9:55 am

My ipkg seems to be fine after upgrading to dsm 6. The only quirk was that in the past I used to have to enable telnet temporarily, telnet in as root and then change the execution permissions of busybox before then disabling telnet, ssh'ing in as admin and then using sudo to amend the path as per below.

Now it seems like synology have replaced busybox (can someone elaborate on this for my own intellectual curiosity?) and disabled any shell access via root.

However, this has actually made the upgrade process easier for me since sudo is now executable by default from an admin user...

So all I ended up having to do was as per below and ssh in as admin and edit my /etc/profile using 'sudo vi /etc/profile' command to add to the optware paths needed

peter.story
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by peter.story » Sat May 14, 2016 3:35 pm

You actually can become root with DSM v6. Just ssh as admin, then run:

sudo su -
Entering the admin password when prompted.

ink124
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by ink124 » Mon May 23, 2016 4:53 am

Anyone have any luck with installing ipkg on DSM 6.0? I cannot get it to work properly... or at least I can't get the c compiler to work. Anyone have any luck at all?

Red Hat Fan
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Red Hat Fan » Tue May 24, 2016 5:06 am

ink124 wrote:Anyone have any luck with installing ipkg on DSM 6.0? I cannot get it to work properly... or at least I can't get the c compiler to work. Anyone have any luck at all?
I haven't been able to install it using the methods that worked under 4 & 5. I am not sure what to do to install Optware.

Maybe someone can post the install instructions for DSM 6.0

:?

CoolRaoul
Seasoned
Seasoned

Unread post by CoolRaoul » Tue May 24, 2016 11:29 am

Red Hat Fan wrote: I haven't been able to install it using the methods that worked under 4 & 5. I am not sure what to do to install Optware.
Optware project is abandoned and hasn't been updated for *years*.
(If you really need it) you should look for alternatives, like entware
Ref: https://github.com/Entware/entware/wiki/FAQ
Optware feeds seem to have been abandoned as the repository (http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/) haven't had an update in a few year
CR

jwagner010
Sharp
Sharp

Unread post by jwagner010 » Tue May 24, 2016 1:01 pm

CoolRaoul wrote:
Red Hat Fan wrote: I haven't been able to install it using the methods that worked under 4 & 5. I am not sure what to do to install Optware.
Optware project is abandoned and hasn't been updated for *years*.
(If you really need it) you should look for alternatives, like entware
Ref: https://github.com/Entware/entware/wiki/FAQ
Optware feeds seem to have been abandoned as the repository (http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/) haven't had an update in a few year
Can you confirm that the installation instructions listed at https://github.com/Entware-ng/Entware-n ... nology-NAS for Entware are accurate for DSM 6? In particular step 5, given the changes to Root permission in DSM 6.

Return to “IPKG”