An absolute piece of crap

Sit back and relax! Talk about anything here!
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
n_p
I'm New!
I'm New!

An absolute piece of crap

Unread post by n_p » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:05 am

I purchased a Synology DS1513+ a few months ago, and since that time, I have
spent a huge number of hours in unsuccessful attempts to get it to do anything
at all. I have never regretted any purchase in my life as much as I regret
buying this thing.

I had very simple needs when I chose the DS1513+. All I wanted was some place
to store files so that users on different computers could access them. Sadly,
the device can not even fulfill that very minimal expectation.

First of all, http://find.synology.com/ (why does https not work here?) is
completely worthless. It does absolutely nothing for several seconds before
eventually returning:

"No DiskStation Found within LAN

Search Again

If you still cannot find your DiskStation, please install Synology Assistant
using the installation disk that comes with your new DiskStation to help
complete the installation process of DSM."

So I downloaded and unpacked the disk assistant (making certain that I got
the latest version rather than the suggested one). Well, it turns out that
the disk assistant is 32 bit only, and none of my machines will run 32 bit
programs. It seems like a complete idiocy to me not to offer 64 bit versions
of programs in 2013 (looks like Synology has been channeling Mozilla).

Finally, out of desperation, I just typed in the ip address of the device. Lo
and behold, it was right there where it was supposed to be. Why doesn't any of
the documentation suggest typing in the ip address. It seems like one of the
most basic things to do, but the fact that it wasn't mentioned at all led me
to believe that it wouldn't work.

I told it to install DSM, which appeared to complete without any further
issues, giving me (momentarily) the false hope that I would actually be able
to actually use the unit as it was intended. Alas, those hopes were dashed
almost immediately when I set a password, and attempted to log in. Once again,
not having https available was almost painful to watch (though I realize that
this requires setting up a certificate), but just as excruciating was the
message that I received on every attempt to log in:

"JavaScript

<[i.p.ad.dress]>

You have logged in and out of DSM using another web browser, or DiskStation
has been restarted. Please log in to DSM again."

I am continuing to read the user manual in an attempt to discern some clues
that might help me, but I am encountering more confusion than anything else.
For example, the User's Guide recommends connecting to the NAS by entering
"http://Synology_Server_Name:5000/" but the manual doesn't explain how
Synology_Server_Name gets resolved (and I can't think of any reason why it
would get resolved).

I have no idea what to attempt next.

Finally, the unit (for some completely unknown reason) keeps shutting itself
off (which requires sending a technician into the server room to reset it).

Words can not begin to describe how much I absolutely hate the DS1513+. It is
an absolute piece of crap, unlikely to serve any purpose more useful than a
reminder of my own stupidity in purchasing it.

One final comment: It looks like Synology is not a big believer in security
anywhere - https is not available for the forum either.

sciurius
Sharp
Sharp

Re: An absolute piece of crap

Unread post by sciurius » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:43 am

n_p wrote:I purchased a Synology DS1513+ a few months ago, and since that time, I have
spent a huge number of hours in unsuccessful attempts to get it to do anything
at all.
If you buy a device that doesn't work out of the box after trivial configuration, you call the supplyer and ask for assistance.

If you, on the other hand, decide to knowingly "spent a huge number of hours in unsuccessful attempts to get it to do anything at all" then all you achieve is utter frustration.

From reading your 'report' I guess your security settings (NoScript, FireWall, ...) are getting in the way. My suggestion is to connect the NAS to your computer directly (put it on your desk), reset, reinstall and reconfigure. If that works, put it in the server room.
DS418 / DSM 6.2-23739 Update 2 / 2 x WD40EFRX-68WT0N0 (SHR) / MailServer / MailStation / ownCloud / Transmission / ResilioSync / Syncthing / spotweb / LMS+Spotify
DS413 / DSM 6.2-23739 Update 2 / 2 x ST3000DM001-1CH166 (SHR) / Testing

pwhooftman
Seasoned
Seasoned

Unread post by pwhooftman » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:02 am

n_p wrote: ), but just as excruciating was the
message that I received on every attempt to log in:

"JavaScript

<[i.p.ad.dress]>

You have logged in and out of DSM using another web browser, or DiskStation
has been restarted. Please log in to DSM again."
I have had this happen to me a couple of times, source of the error was something with my browser settings & cookies. I temporarily switched from Chrome to IE, that helped. After that, i removed the cookies from my Synology server address in Chrome, and everything was fine in Chrome after that.

So try to get access via http://<Synology IP address>:5000 via another browser. You have to replace <Synology IP address> with the IP address of your Synology, without the <> :mrgreen:
You'll find options to start using https in the control panel of DSM.
DS918+ with 2x4Tb WD Red, Kopano VM, Domoticz

PaulS
Enlightened
Enlightened

Unread post by PaulS » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:16 pm

Wow. I guess some people should just stick with Apple and Micro$oft for all their computing needs.

juice370
Student
Student

Unread post by juice370 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:31 am

Hardware is good, Software is abysmal. Support is slow and vague. With every Synology product should be a warning. "Prepare to invest a lot of your life into running and diagnosing this product".

katiepea
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by katiepea » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:27 am

juice370 wrote:Hardware is good, Software is abysmal. Support is slow and vague. With every Synology product should be a warning. "Prepare to invest a lot of your life into running and diagnosing this product".
If it makes you feel any better, I just got a 414 for my mother. She called me when it arrived, I walked her through setup over the course of about 25 minutes. She now has a seedbox, torrents are automatically downloading, sharing, streaming to her TV, she has automatic scheduled backups running from both of her computers, she has a failsafe RAID operational, and a VPN setup that her laptop uses. My mother is 55 and thought she couldn't use anything other than Windows to use email. If my mother can operate this in minutes without a hitch, I have to assume anyone can.

Noah
Seasoned
Seasoned

Unread post by Noah » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:30 pm

Congratulations with your machine: you've got the BMW under the NAS'ses, with the support that goes with it. So don't despair, look in the mirror on a fresh morning and ask yourself 'could it be I did something wrong'?

Then contact support: you are entitled to it, and some of the brightest minds in the industry happen to work for Synology (some of the most stupid ones also do, so try to get a good guy --- they have many of them :mrgreen: ).

You bought a BMW, don't despair :wink:
Somebody here sucks big time. BIG time. Small...

iknowtech
Skilled
Skilled

Unread post by iknowtech » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:06 am

Sorry, but you just seem to be completely clueless on how these devices even work

First of all why would you need HTTPS within your internal LAN?

Second of all if you want true HTTPS (without the Synology Self Signed Cert), then yes you have to purchase an SSL security certificate. That's the way HTTPS certs work.

As for Synology Assistant being 32bit, what difference does that make 32bit software will run just fine on 64bit OS's. Synology Assistant is a very simple discovery tool, there's absolutely no benefit in developing it 64bit.

Before you come off spewing a bunch of nonsense, maybe you need to make sure you have a clue what your talking about. These devices do require a certain degree of technical know how, and frankly from your statements you seem not be in possession of that know how.

Maybe consider hiring someone qualified to configure the device for you and give you training on its basic use.

juice370
Student
Student

Unread post by juice370 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:24 pm

"Maybe consider hiring someone qualified to configure the device for you and give you training on its basic use."

Since Synology market to the home user, this is Synology's job. My exact problem with this company. They are extremely happy to glorify the product in the marketing spiel and sell you a product - yet don't explain a damn thing about any of the features once you've invested your hard-earned money. I probably use about 30% of the features, only through lots of studying and time investment, but I couldn't tell you what the rest is or does AND NEITHER DOES THE USER MANUAL OR LACK OF SUPPORTING GUIDES? Why not, you'd think Synology would want you as a customer for life who markets for them via WOM?

I've said this before, once you associate stress to a brand, the brand in the long term is fecked. Nobody can argue that the home/small business user (i.e. me) - who has a growing media and business document collection (5.5TB and growing rapidly) - is the future for this company. Commercial cloud for the smaller user will be a passing fad in my opinion, and as media size's grow, Personal cloud will be the next big thing. But if I struggle - with 16 years internet and PC experience - what about the rest (the majority)?

WAKE UP SYNOLOGY! Forum posts and support inquiries like this are a cue to bridge the massive disconnect between the average home user - who couldn't care less about a networking degree - and the guys that get turned on by FTP, SMB, and VPN's.

Before a smart-ass pipe's up. Think driving a car, how many people from the billions that buy, own and drive a car even know how to the check the oil, let alone know what the oil is or does. Exactly!

“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.” Einstein

ilkevinli
Sharp
Sharp

Unread post by ilkevinli » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:37 pm

It's NOT Synologys job. It's YOUR job to know what your abilities are. There are a LOT of home users that have no problem setting up a NAS device up to work.

juice370 wrote:"Maybe consider hiring someone qualified to configure the device for you and give you training on its basic use."

Since Synology market to the home user, this is Synology's job. My exact problem with this company. They are extremely happy to glorify the product in the marketing spiel and sell you a product - yet don't explain a damn thing about any of the features once you've invested your hard-earned money. I probably use about 30% of the features, only through lots of studying and time investment, but I couldn't tell you what the rest is or does AND NEITHER DOES THE USER MANUAL OR LACK OF SUPPORTING GUIDES? Why not, you'd think Synology would want you as a customer for life who markets for them via WOM?

I've said this before, once you associate stress to a brand, the brand in the long term is fecked. Nobody can argue that the home/small business user (i.e. me) - who has a growing media and business document collection (5.5TB and growing rapidly) - is the future for this company. Commercial cloud for the smaller user will be a passing fad in my opinion, and as media size's grow, Personal cloud will be the next big thing. But if I struggle - with 16 years internet and PC experience - what about the rest (the majority)?

WAKE UP SYNOLOGY! Forum posts and support inquiries like this are a cue to bridge the massive disconnect between the average home user - who couldn't care less about a networking degree - and the guys that get turned on by FTP, SMB, and VPN's.

Before a smart-ass pipe's up. Think driving a car, how many people from the billions that buy, own and drive a car even know how to the check the oil, let alone know what the oil is or does. Exactly!

“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.” Einstein

cjmedina
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by cjmedina » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:03 pm

Sorry, Put this Guy is a real Numb Nuts!

juice370
Student
Student

Unread post by juice370 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:42 pm

It's NOT Synologys job. It's YOUR job to know what your abilities are.

Think about the jet stream of BS that just came out of your mouth.

In essence you are saying, we need to analyze our abilities by taking a degree in networking and then we'll do a SWOT analysis to understand the full range of our skill-sets and experiences prior to making a purchase, just in case we happen to hit a snag with an inferior product one day in the future. Or we could just fast forward to the future now, see what issues may arise and then rewind back to now, fresh in the knowledge that one day our previous experiences may be stretched.

One word - SUPPORT!

astroroxy
Enlightened
Enlightened

Unread post by astroroxy » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:59 am

juice370 wrote:
It's NOT Synologys job. It's YOUR job to know what your abilities are.

Think about the jet stream of BS that just came out of your mouth.

In essence you are saying, we need to analyze our abilities by taking a degree in networking and then we'll do a SWOT analysis to understand the full range of our skill-sets and experiences prior to making a purchase, just in case we happen to hit a snag with an inferior product one day in the future. Or we could just fast forward to the future now, see what issues may arise and then rewind back to now, fresh in the knowledge that one day our previous experiences may be stretched.

One word - SUPPORT!
Please get off this forum.
Insert something people may care about here

texterted
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by texterted » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:14 am

If you want support, try the netgear forum. The last two software releases of theirs removed access to their web GUI if you uninstalled any application. This could only be fixed if you'd enabled SSH (but that would invalidate your warranty). You could get them to fix it, if you were lucky, and inside their 90 day support window, or you could pay for extended support and take your place in the queue.

I know where I'd rather be...
Cheers

Ted :)

Synology DS1515+ with 8GB RAM, 5 x 3TB WD Red drives in SHR, DSM 6.1
Synology DX213 with 2 x 6TB WD Red drives as 2 backup volumes.

colin.fraser
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by colin.fraser » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:09 am

Getting a little off topic here, so to bring it back....

I am not 100% happy with my NAS, for a variety of reasons, none of which have to do with the product itself. I must admit I am considerably less happy with the support I am not getting either. So far, I can only do some things, but others are proving to be a bit much. To be fair, I am only a neophyte with Linux, and the CLI is a long way away in time and space for me. I am missing something about the DSM, and I suspect this is the source of my problems. Trouble is, I don't know what I don't know, I don't know what questions to ask either. I am not blaming the product, it is my lack of understanding that is the real issue here.

The only thing I am seriously unhappy about with the product is the lack of an ability to upgrade the memory on my DS413, but, I bought the product without asking if the memory was upgradeable. I just assumed it was, and disappointed I can't. I am wearing that, but the next NAS I buy will be so, because I will know which questions to ask.

But what I bought is really good for some of the things I need it for, so far. All I have to do is figure out how to do the rest of it.

Return to “The Lounge”