Synology DSM run in VMVARE?

Sit back and relax! Talk about anything here!
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
jany
I'm New!
I'm New!

Synology DSM run in VMVARE?

Postby jany » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:00 am

Can I run or install Synology DSM to VMVARE as virtual machine?
Thanks.
Ate_Bit
Seasoned
Seasoned

Re: Synology DSM run in VMVARE?

Postby Ate_Bit » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:46 pm

Simple answer: no.
NAS: DS413 running DSM 6.0
Configuration: SHR, with 1 disk data protection
HDD: 3x4TB
jany
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby jany » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:02 am

Why, where is problem?
KickedAbyss
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby KickedAbyss » Wed May 04, 2016 2:12 pm

Google is friendly on this subject, but the bottom line is that Synology is Apple. They build their DSM software to run on THEIR hardware. Sure, it's more or less white-box rebranded equipment, but you buy a Synology hardware device to support the company, and in turn development of the DSM software. It might make sense for them to long-term offer a licensed Virtual offering, but I don't think it's on their current roadmap.

There is a lot of value in having a piece of software written to run best on specific hardware. Apple has proven this time and again. I hate OSX, but I admire their firm 'if you want our software, buy our hardware' concept.

The ONE reason I'd love to see DSM supported on VMware honestly is for lab purposes only, to trial/test solutions out. Beyond that, Virtual DSM and Docker are replacing the other needs we may have had on it.

Return to “The Lounge”