So what makes the expansion units (DX Series) so special?

Sit back and relax! Talk about anything here!
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://account.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
PandaSPUR
Trainee
Trainee

So what makes the expansion units (DX Series) so special?

Postby PandaSPUR » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:49 pm

Not to be rude, and I understand Synology is a business which needs to turn profits.
But if I were so inclined... what stops me from creating my own expansion unit?

From my research, the DS1512+ uses the SiI3132 chipset for eSATA connectivity.
And the DX513 uses the SiI3826 chipset for port multiplication to eSATA.

Port multipliers with the SiI3826 chipset seem to be hard to find. But ones with the SiI3726 chipset are more common.
One such port multiplier with this chipset lists itself as compatible with SiI3132 host controller.
So, if I were so inclined, understood the risks, understood the lack of support, could I just make my own expansion box?
mike42dk
Proficient
Proficient

Re: So what makes the expansion units (DX Series) so special

Postby mike42dk » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:14 pm

Hi

Yes, but you don't get the firmware on the DX, which is the part that help you with volume creating, hibernation, start and stopping of the DX simultaneously with your DS, and so on.

But you can find RAID boxes which you can connect via eSATA, but they will be seen as a folder esatashare in your File Station.
¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤
DS 415+ DSM 6 7321
2 WD red 2 TB RAID 1
2 Seagate nas 4 TB basic
DX 213
1 WD purple 1 TB basic
PandaSPUR
Trainee
Trainee

Postby PandaSPUR » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:57 pm

Sorry but I dont understand how the DX has special firmware for this? From what I've read, the DX is just a dumb box and all logic is handled by the host DS box.

The only thing that the DS sees when a DX is plugged in, are the individual HDDs in the DX correct?

The connection between DS and DX is also just a standard eSATA cable (with thumb screws added..)

So where does this "firmware" come into play?
Unless, do you mean that the two boxes are somehow programmed to artificially restrict what can be used with the DS box?

And I dont mean I want to just go out there and buy a RAID enclosure as that isn't the same thing, I know that.
The DS1512+ for example, has a Silicon Image SiI3132 host controller chip, which is compatible with port multipliers using the SiI3726 and SiI3826 chips.
The DX513 uses the SiI3826 chip.

Port multipliers with these chips can be bought easily. My question is, what stops me from creating my own DX box using a HDD rack and a SiI3726/3826 port multiplier.
Of course I'd lose some functionality such as the power supply automatically idling and turning on/off, but I wouldn't mind that.
mike42dk
Proficient
Proficient

Postby mike42dk » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:48 pm

Hi

The DX has a special Firmware, not like a DSM, but still it's own firmware.

Rest of the functions is in the DSM on the DS you connect the DX to, and when using a DX you can create one big volume (with supported DS) or a new volume (With not so supported DS).

If you find a external box with the mentioned chipset, the box will be mounted as a shared folder esatashare.
¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤
DS 415+ DSM 6 7321
2 WD red 2 TB RAID 1
2 Seagate nas 4 TB basic
DX 213
1 WD purple 1 TB basic
PandaSPUR
Trainee
Trainee

Postby PandaSPUR » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:20 pm

The cheap, crafty, DIY-loving side of me wants to believe that's not true :lol:
It would make sense for Synology to do such a thing though. After all, they need continuing profits to pay for their DSM development.

I may still give this a try myself later on, as all I'd need is a port replicator board which is $70. Try it, and return it if it really doesnt work.
Devinator
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: So what makes the expansion units (DX Series) so special?

Postby Devinator » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:08 pm

Is it possible to turn the DS1512+ into an expansion unit that can be used with other Synology DS units?
HarryPotter
Honorary Moderator
Honorary Moderator

Re: So what makes the expansion units (DX Series) so special?

Postby HarryPotter » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:45 pm

Devinator wrote:Is it possible to turn the DS1512+ into an expansion unit that can be used with other Synology DS units?

No this is not possible.
*Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!*

DS718+ / DSM 6.1.3-15152-7 / ST4000VN000-2AH166 / 16 GB RAM
DS713+ / DSM 6.1.3-15152-7 / HD501LJ + HD502IJ (RAID0)
DS415+ / DSM 6.1.3-15152-7

2 Squeezebox 3 + Boom

APC Smart UPS SUA750i

Return to “The Lounge”