Will Synology ever use an Intel i3 again like the discontinued DS3615xs?

Sit back and relax! Talk about anything here!
Forum rules
Synology Community is the new platform for the enthusiasts' interaction, and it will soon be available to replace the Forum.
odessouky
Beginner
Beginner

Will Synology ever use an Intel i3 again like the discontinued DS3615xs?

Unread post by odessouky » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:46 pm

Aloha everyone..

Does any one know if Synology plan to release any PLUS series soon with an i3 processor at all?

I have a 916+, and inspite of buying it with the knowledge that it should transcode one channel of 4k video, it struggles and stutters immensely?

I've researched extensively how to fix this, bought a Plexpass to enable Hardware acceleration, tried Video Station which has HW acceleration by default, and no matter what I do, it cannot stream/transcode 4k video?

Was at a friend's the other day, and he has a QNAP with an i3, and it works like a dream. I do not like the software however, and do not see myself using it. I'm very comfortable with DSM, and intend to use Synology only?

Thanks

nc88keyz
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Will Synology ever use an Intel i3 again like the discontinued DS3615xs?

Unread post by nc88keyz » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:41 am

I dont know but GD i hate ebay sometimes. I have $1750 more in debt, since I scooped up a DS3615XS + 32GB Made an offer on the both the ram and the DS3615+, I suppose it was meant to be. Saved $350 on the NAS, and 60 on the ram from asking price. That is $50 a stick. Guess it will be maxed out now. Almost have enough for the 10GBE card with ebay dollars now! $130 coming back.

Upgrading from the DS1812+

I really wanted to like qnaps product, but I just like what works for me I suppose. I also took a hard look at Asustor with the AS-6210T, but went back to synology in the end.

I like the 3615 because of its cpu upgradability 10gbe , and up to 36 bays. with dual dx1215

nasDave40
Novice
Novice

Unread post by nasDave40 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:00 pm

The i3 is a great processor and I stream 2 devices at high bit rate 1080p just fine. If Synology updated the firmware to add in the Intel GPU driver's then it would be a transcoding beast.

Next Nas for me might be QNAP as they have a very good selection of CPUs on offer. Not keen on their software but I'll get used to it.

Other option is to go freeNAS NAS4Free solution.
DS3615xs 32MB, 10G SFP+ => 6xWD red 1TB 2.5 RAID 6 btrfs + 6xSamsung 2TB 2.5 RAID 6 btrfs.

techblogger911
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by techblogger911 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:58 am

odessouky wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:46 pm
Aloha everyone..

Does any one know if Synology plan to release any PLUS series soon with an i3 processor at all?

I have a 916+, and inspite of buying it with the knowledge that it should transcode one channel of 4k video, it struggles and stutters immensely?

I've researched extensively how to fix this, bought a Plexpass to enable Hardware acceleration, tried Video Station which has HW acceleration by default, and no matter what I do, it cannot stream/transcode 4k video?

Was at a friend's the other day, and he has a QNAP with an i3, and it works like a dream. I do not like the software however, and do not see myself using it. I'm very comfortable with DSM, and intend to use Synology only?

Thanks

The software is also keeping me miles away from QNAP, otherwise it's pretty good.

Return to “The Lounge”