NAS advise - what next from DS1815+

Sit back and relax! Talk about anything here!
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
smashmouse
I'm New!
I'm New!

NAS advise - what next from DS1815+

Unread post by smashmouse » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:26 pm

Hi all, new to the forum but been a Synology user for the past three years.

My DS1815+ has just broken down on me, probably due to the atom C2xxx issue. Whilst waiting for RMA to resolved, I've been thinking about possible change to a different unit. I feel like the options are limited when discarding the models with the atom C2xxx CPU.

Looking for opinions / some collective thoughts on anything to consider.

My current usage:
one volume of 5x4TB drives in bays 1-5 using SHR
one volume of 2x2TB in bays 7&8 using RAID 1

I've looked at the following:
- DS3018xs but seems going backwards to 6 bays, but I could live with it, moving to 6x4TB drives.
- D3617xs too expensive.
- DS918+ only 4 bays, but have mad idea of 2 x DS918. I'm not keen on running two units but it would still work out significantly cheaper than a single DS3018xs.

My main issue with the whole selection process is lack of support for SHR. It has served me well on my current unit, even though volume 1 is all 4TB drives now, it did start as 4 x 2TB and gradually increased, swapping drives out. With the DS3018xs, I did wonder about two RAID5s of 3 disks each, so if I have to upgrade capacity, I can do an array (3 drives) at a time. Similar approach with DS918, but two RAID5 arrays of 4 drives each, albeit on separate units.

With the DS3018xs, if I have a RAID group consisting of two RAID5 arrays, can I have a single volume that spans to separate arrays? e.g. 3x4TB and 3x8TB giving roughly 24TB (8+16) of usable space?

Cheers for any thoughts and input.

Return to “The Lounge”