which unit to pick??

Any related inquiries about Synology product? Post it here!
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
laylaylom
I'm New!
I'm New!

which unit to pick??

Unread post by laylaylom » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:56 pm

Hi Everyone,

We use Synology boxes in several SMB environments, however we consider these products prosumer devices. This is based on our experience of 2 RAID failures, and inability to rebuild the array even though a single drive had failed in each case. Basically we were told by support to recover from back up. Since we use these boxes to store backups or live images of production servers, it was not a total disaster. We still did not like losing a year worth of images!!!

In any case we now need to put a larger unit of ~40 TBs in an environment for backing up and imaging several servers. We have a budged of roughly $ 6000 including the drives. Shall we go for 2 cheaper units and set up a cluster or go for 1 higher end unit?

We have a rack but could use a tower unit as we have ample space in the server room.

OPTION 1:
2xDS1817+ 2x$1000 = $ 2000
2x 48 TB Drives 2x$2000 = $ 4000
Total $ 6000

OPTION 2:
1xDS3617XS $ 3500
1x48TB Drives $2000
Total $ 5500

- We will be storing Shadowprotect and Veeam images of 7 production servers.
- Ability to read and transfer data quickly in the case of a disaster is what we are looking for.
- There will be NO production data on the box.

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

mtboxtech
Beginner
Beginner

Re: which unit to pick??

Unread post by mtboxtech » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:20 pm

why not the DS3018XS? Read times are faster. only $1300 MSRP, 5yr warranty. With 12TB drives available you could put 5-12TB in for $2400.
1 - RS812RP+ w/RX410 and 8-6TB WD Red
1 - DS1815+ w/2-200gb ssd and 3-6TB WD Red
1 - DS412+ w/4-4TB WD Red
2 - DS712+ w/2-6TB WD Red
2 - DS713+ w/2-3TB WD Red
8 - DS112 w/3TB WD Red
6 - DS114 w/3TB WD Red
4 - DS214+ w/3TB WD Red
2 - DS215+ w/2-3TB WD Red
4 - DS115j w/3TB WD Red
2 - DS116 w/3TB WD Red

mervincm
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Unread post by mervincm » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:09 pm

No offence intended here, but why would you even consider buying more of a product that has failed you twice is such a fundamental way? Unless you have identified a process failure or knowledge gap, a problem with implementation choice, and resolved it, that just does not make sense to me.

In any case, since you have a very simple requirement, (storage of a smallish amount of very large files) I would make sure that whatever you look at, 10 gig E is part of the picture. any of these solutions with 1gigE will have network as the bottleneck.

since you have the budget, I would include a secondary destination, one that you can leave powered off most of the time. maybe a 1817 (not +) add 12 TB drives as required in SHR to keep a long term 2nd copy of your backups. power it down when you are not using it, give yourself an air gap.

clustering is designed to add availability, your use case does not demand more availability.
1815+ (factory patched board) 4GB 5x6TB WD RED

laylaylom
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by laylaylom » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:16 pm

Hi @mervincm,

No offense, you do have a valid point. However we are attempting to use Synology here because our customers generally don't have the budget to buy a SAN ie a true storage solution for backup.

We definitely have the skillset to rebuild a RAID array, in fact the whole point is that no skill should be needed to rebuild an array, it should be a plug and play operation!

In any case, I spoke to a very knowledgable pre-sales Synology support person, and he also says that their approach is to ask customers to restore from backup when a RAID area is degraded. He gave an explanation as to why data might be corrupted and why a restore is better approach.

My plan in going with an HA solution is that it basically offers me dual power supplies, dual NICs etc at a fairly reasonable price point. We like the 10 GigE ports on this unit which will be useful moving data between the devices...

Thanks.

synology_ukman
Seasoned
Seasoned

Unread post by synology_ukman » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:05 pm

laylaylom wrote:Hi @mervincm,

No offense, you do have a valid point. However we are attempting to use Synology here because our customers generally don't have the budget to buy a SAN ie a true storage solution for backup.

We definitely have the skillset to rebuild a RAID array, in fact the whole point is that no skill should be needed to rebuild an array, it should be a plug and play operation!

In any case, I spoke to a very knowledgable pre-sales Synology support person, and he also says that their approach is to ask customers to restore from backup when a RAID area is degraded. He gave an explanation as to why data might be corrupted and why a restore is better approach.

My plan in going with an HA solution is that it basically offers me dual power supplies, dual NICs etc at a fairly reasonable price point. We like the 10 GigE ports on this unit which will be useful moving data between the devices...

Thanks.
What was his name? Who goes around restoring from backups just because RAID is degraded! Err???
When should I expect the documentation to change?

Gerardv514
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by Gerardv514 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:56 pm

laylaylom wrote:Hi Everyone,

We use Synology boxes in several SMB environments, however we consider these products prosumer devices. This is based on our experience of 2 RAID failures, and inability to rebuild the array even though a single drive had failed in each case. Basically we were told by support to recover from back up. Since we use these boxes to store backups or live images of production servers, it was not a total disaster. We still did not like losing a year worth of images!!!

In any case we now need to put a larger unit of ~40 TBs in an environment for backing up and imaging several servers. We have a budged of roughly $ 6000 including the drives. Shall we go for 2 cheaper units and set up a cluster or go for 1 higher end unit?

We have a rack but could use a tower unit as we have ample space in the server room.

OPTION 1:
2xDS1817+ 2x$1000 = $ 2000
2x 48 TB Drives 2x$2000 = $ 4000
Total $ 6000

OPTION 2:
1xDS3617XS $ 3500
1x48TB Drives $2000
Total $ 5500

- We will be storing Shadowprotect and Veeam images of 7 production servers.
- Ability to read and transfer data quickly in the case of a disaster is what we are looking for.
- There will be NO production data on the box.

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Which option did you end up going with?

Return to “General Products Inquiries”