Can I edit on this thing?

Sit back and relax! Talk about anything here!
Forum rules
Synology Community is the new platform for the enthusiasts' interaction, and it will soon be available to replace the Forum.
ryan7
I'm New!
I'm New!

Can I edit on this thing?

Unread post by ryan7 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:43 pm

Hi,
I was wondering if you wouldn't mind giving me some impartial advice.

I need a new external drive. My WD My Cloud 8TB died, and just after my iMac became really slow. Before I stored all my data on the 3TB fusion drive on my iMac. I'm a designer/editor/animator so have a few big projects on their as well as my iTunes collection (no longer use with Spotify) and my movies.

Can you give me advice on what external to go for.

I like the idea of a NAS, but probably won't use all the functionality just yet. But I do want a future proof solution. I like the Synology DS918+ but am in two minds whether I can store my videos on here for editing. It will mean that I will also need a direct connection to my Mac for a decent transfer speed.

The other option is a G-Tech Raid 8TB drive. It's DAS, it will run quick. Do I actually need the Thunderbolt 3 over the 2? But it's not really a clever drive other than the raid function.

My work flow could be that I go for the NAS and just use the internal drive on my Mac for current projects, copying them over when ready. But I read that it's not a good idea to keep the footage your editing on the same drive.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. As I'm struggling with the likes local retail stores!

Thanks,
Ryan

synology_ukman
Seasoned
Seasoned

Re: Can I edit on this thing?

Unread post by synology_ukman » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:57 pm

Edit locally and use Cloud Station to sync to NAS, 918 also supports NVME cache

Return to “The Lounge”