Synology support, changes in policy

Sit back and relax! Talk about anything here!
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
Eideen
Enlightened
Enlightened

Synology support, changes in policy

Unread post by Eideen » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:08 pm

Hi,
Thank you for contacting Synology Support.

From taking a look at the debug logs I can see that you have installed a number of 3rd party packages installed via community repositories that are not supported by Synology.

The packages in question can be found below:
ExifTool
U.Renamer
htop

Unfortunately installing some of these packages make irreparable changes to the DSM operating system; and I am unable to assist you with the issue you are experiencing as these may be caused by the packages that are installed.

If you would like further assistance with this issue, I would first recommend performing a DSM reset by following Step 3 of the following guide: https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledg ... orials/493 and then attempting the process again once DSM has been reinstalled.

If the issue persists with standard apps and packages installed, please do not hesitate to contact me again and I will do my best to assist you further.
Best regards,

xxxx

Technical Support Team

Synology UK
Have synology changes it policy, when it do support for it products?
This is the first time i got a replay for UK instead of Taiwan, for mye 5 years i have own my DS412+, and it the first time i have told to reinstall DSM.

To reinstall install DSM in itself is easy, but to restore settings is very frustration and time consuming.
If synology where to improve HyperBackup to do 1:1 backup of all setting to DSM and synology Package, it makes it better.

The premium service was one of the selling points for getting a Synology, but i if you have to reinstall DSM every time you as Synology for help especially, if its for a Beta package or DSM.
DS412+ with DX510/ DSM 6.1b / 2xWD 4TB red+2(+1)xWD6TB (RAID5), 240GB SSD
DS215j / DSM 6.0 / 2xSG3TB (RAID 1) / remote backup
cyberpower BS650E, 1x2TB external drive for backup.

synology_ukman
Seasoned
Seasoned

Re: Synology support, changes in policy

Unread post by synology_ukman » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:24 pm

You can't seriously expect Synology to support every 2 bit program people choose to install off their own bat.

Backup your settings first when messing with unsupported third-party apps.

Eideen
Enlightened
Enlightened

Unread post by Eideen » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:31 pm

I do not expect synology to support every program.

But that is not the same as not looking at the problem, before one is expected to reinstall DSM.

As i stated you can not backup all settings, with the current version of hyper Backup.

synology_ukman
Seasoned
Seasoned

Unread post by synology_ukman » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:18 pm

You initial blog doesn't explain the original problem, just Syno refusing to support.

Curious what does Hyper Backup not cover or original issue?
There's also this backup of settings.
https://www.synology.com/en-uk/knowledg ... nfigbackup

PaulS
Enlightened
Enlightened

Unread post by PaulS » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:57 pm

synology_ukman wrote:There's also this backup of settings.
If understand the OP's issue, this is the correct response. ^^^

Hyper Backup, Cloud-Whatever, etc. are basically useless for anything other than relatively small, ordinary file sets. In most higher-end or complex scenarios they are either too slow or too unreliable. Configuration backup mentioned by ukman above, and basic rsync to an external or networked device makes a good baseline backup approach for Synology users choosing to go off the ranch with 3rd party software. That simple scheme has never failed me and provides a painless, quick and easy recovery path in the event of a DSM re-install.

sincarne
Guru
Guru

Unread post by sincarne » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:19 pm

PaulS wrote:
synology_ukman wrote:There's also this backup of settings.
If understand the OP's issue, this is the correct response. ^^^

Hyper Backup, Cloud-Whatever, etc. are basically useless for anything other than relatively small, ordinary file sets. In most higher-end or complex scenarios they are either too slow or too unreliable. Configuration backup mentioned by ukman above, and basic rsync to an external or networked device makes a good baseline backup approach for Synology users choosing to go off the ranch with 3rd party software. That simple scheme has never failed me and provides a painless, quick and easy recovery path in the event of a DSM re-install.
for other software do in docker and it make backup easy as can backup and restore container

thinkitdata
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by thinkitdata » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:54 pm

Just my humble $.02.

The Synology is a NAS. Using it to run third party apps "in general" is not wise. Docker is especially true in this regard as even trivial Docker things like "Docker Swarm" aren't implemented on the Synology. While it's cool to be able to run other apps on your storage it's not wise if you're using this as a NAS for any production systems. Again, not a criticism as we've all got our own use cases but just a humble opinion....

polanat
Skilled
Skilled

Unread post by polanat » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:58 am

On the other hand - not all ticket cases require remote access with admin account from the Synology Support. Quite a lot of users can perform themselves the needed instructed steps via CLI. Another part of the users are not comfortable by the direct access for security and other personal reasons. So I suggest Synology support provide the solution to reproduce for those who can do that instead of granting them full access and furthermore the consequent cry when finding 3-rd party apps ...
DS415+ [5.2-5967 Update 3 + 4xST3000VN000] & DS112 [DSM 6.1.2-15132 + WD40EFRX+ Ext1 WDBEMM0010BBK-U3] / Transmission 2.84-10 / Transmission Remote GUI 5.0.1
Samsung SMART TV 3D FullHD UE40ES6307 / Samsung UE32H4000 + iconBIT Toucan Duo Plus mk2 / iconBIT NetTAB THOR ZX (NT-0907S)
TP-LINK TD-W8961ND +2TL-ANT2408CL + TL-SG1008D / UPS Powercom WOW-500U

Eideen
Enlightened
Enlightened

Unread post by Eideen » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:43 pm

synology_ukman wrote:You initial blog doesn't explain the original problem, just Syno refusing to support.

Curious what does Hyper Backup not cover or original issue?
There's also this backup of settings.
what does Hyper Backup not cover:

Controll panel
  • QuickConnet settings
  • External Access (all)
  • Network settings (all)
  • Security (all)
  • Theme (all)
  • Regional options (all)
  • Notification (all)
  • Hardware & power (all)
  • Privileges (all)
  • Application Portal (all)
Applications
  • Hyperbackup
  • CMS
  • Package Center
  • Snapshot replication
  • Cloud Station server
  • Cloud Station ShareSync
  • Cloud Sync
  • log Center
So i my eyes quite alot of settings are not restored via the current backup tool.

what was the original issue

I wanted to help Synology out with testing the new version of HyperBackup 2.1, so I installed it on my both my server so the version are alike.
The AmazonDrive and 2x local backups to USB work fine. But the remote backup to my DS215j, failed after 8, 11, 3, 5 and 7 hours (I still don't know why, but it complete 23hours, with a avrage speed of 2Mbit/s) . without any reason for why it happed so I wanted Synology to take a look at.

Return to “The Lounge”