What other NAS brand would you use?

Sit back and relax! Talk about anything here!
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
robocub
Novice
Novice

What other NAS brand would you use?

Postby robocub » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:26 pm

Over the last 8 years I have tried various brands of NAS manufacturers - Iomega, Qnap, D-Link, Netgear, and of course Synology. Each provided a small device that consumed little energy (a nice savings on the electric bill), and mostly basic file serving features. Eventually media streaming became important to me. And I ultimately settled on Synology for its relatively ease of use, flexibility, features, and even the user experience of DSM which looks a helluva lot better than any of the other front end interfaces of the other brands. I haven't tried every brand out there like Zyxel, Asus, Thecus, WD, and some others. Im curious for all the experienced NAS uses our there, aside from freenas which requires an actual PC box which I am not interested in using, what other brands of NAS would you use and which do you think are better than Synology and why?
DS716+
DSM 6.1.1-15101 Update 4
Bay 1 (WD Red 6TB - SHR volume 1, Btrfs)
Bay 2 (WD Red 4TB - SHR volume 2, Btrfs)
iknowtech
Seasoned
Seasoned

Re: What other NAS brand would you use?

Postby iknowtech » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:30 am

I haven't tried all these brands but I've tried many of them, and have done research on most of the others.

I think it honestly comes down to what your exact needs are. Synology I think definitely leads the pack on the software side of things for available packages and overall OS maturity.

Synology unfortunately, in my opinion has consistently placed too much emphasis on low power consumption and low cost, for a majority of the their product line. I think they have left a lot on the table in the Prosumer vertical.

I also think they often stretch themselves a bit too thin, by trying to be everything to everyone, and frankly I think there should two divisions of Synology, one with a focus on Enterprise and Business with long term support DSM versions, and much more stable and predictable software releases of the packages that businesses care about. Then a 2nd division that supports a separate branch of DSM with a focus on consumer and home user needs, with a quicker software development lifecycle.

When you say media streaming is important to you, that can mean a lot of things, with a ton of different variables. Do you need transcoding, how many devices do you need to stream or transcode to simultaneously? What encoding types, resolutions and bit rates do you need to support etc. What management solutions do you want to use (Plex, Video Station, other), and what are your playback devices.
Last edited by iknowtech on Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
freefly
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Postby freefly » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:58 am

iknowtech wrote:Synology unfortunately, in my opinion has consistently placed too much emphasis on low power consumption and low cost, for a majority of the their product line. I think they have left a lot on the table in the Prosumer vertical.

+1
Totally agree, Synology is going too low with Pre-installed and Upgradable Memory and missing onboard 10Gb Interface in order to make resources available for 10+ devices.
The 12 Bay Devices are quite ok, but everything below that is useless for Large Scale Business.

Regards
Before: DS207+
Current: DS415+ 2x6Tb WD and 1x4Tb for Backup.
cattlerustler
Trainee
Trainee

Postby cattlerustler » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:59 pm

The only other brands I would consider purchasing are QNAP or Thecus. Last time I looked neither supported anywhere near the level of function I can easily get in the Synology stable. Hence I now have 3 :-)

I do agree to a point about the lack of scale, but most large businesses will not use Synology for NAS, the requirement from most large businesses means they would look to NETAPP or similar.
iknowtech
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby iknowtech » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:49 pm

cattlerustler wrote:The only other brands I would consider purchasing are QNAP or Thecus. Last time I looked neither supported anywhere near the level of function I can easily get in the Synology stable. Hence I now have 3 :-)

I would probably concur with that. I think if my use case was mostly just file sharing to large number of users I would tend to favor Thecus. If I was hoping for more packages and features similar to Synology but with a NAS with more power perhaps I would go with QNap knowing that trade off for more power may come at the cost of less mature software.
DK2730
Trainee
Trainee

Postby DK2730 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:38 pm

My next NAS will be homebuild based on FreeNAS software or Windows Server.

Hardware will be from SuperMicro.

mod note: product link removed

Much easier to upgrade hardware and much better drivers.
iknowtech
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby iknowtech » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:28 pm

DK2730 wrote:My next NAS will be homebuild based on FreeNAS software or Windows Server.

Hardware will be from SuperMicro.

Much easier to upgrade hardware and much better drivers.

I think FreeNAS is also a good choice depending on your needs and your skill level, much more limited on the easily configurable apps. But if your advanced user that's not afraid to get your hands dirty to get things going it's a good platform.

The OP did specifically mention "aside" from FreeNAS. :)

Return to “The Lounge”