Logic of installing NAS Backup for NAS system

Sit back and relax! Talk about anything here!
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
NeilA
I'm New!
I'm New!

Logic of installing NAS Backup for NAS system

Postby NeilA » Mon May 02, 2016 11:32 pm

Friends,

I am new to this forum and a relatively new Synology home user.

Currently, I have a DS415+ with two WD 4TB drives and two WD 5TB drives, which I use as a home system. I sync files with my computers at work and at home, keep and stream video files through my AppleTV, and back up music and photos. I currently am using about 13% of the available storage on this system.

I bought this unit to replace a DS214+ that was less than a year old, which I intended to sell. However, now I am thinking of keeping it and making it into a backup unit for the DS415+. (Obviously, I would eventually have to backup only selected files.) I have two questions:

1. Are there any good reasons why I should put two drives into the DS214+ and begin using it strictly as a backup to select files (that I would not want to lose) on my computers. Isn't this in fact what I am doing with the DS415+?

2. What other purpose might I use this DS214+ for with the home system I have described? Or, should I just sell it as is w/o drives?

I really appreciate the advice and information that more seasoned users here might give me. Thanks!

NeilA
mwilli20
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Logic of installing NAS Backup for NAS system

Postby mwilli20 » Tue May 03, 2016 3:43 pm

If you keep your original files on your PC and sync them to the DS415, you already are backing-up your data. If the disks are configured in any of the redundant RAID configurations, that would be your secondary backup. If you then add the DS214, that would be your tertiary back-up. Statistically speaking that would be overkill. The chances of all your drives failing at the same time is practically nil. UNLESS of course we are considering natural disasters that would take the house out.

What I would do with a secondary NAS. 1) Run on it services that I do not want to slow down or taint the main unit, such as VPN, Cloud server, Surveillance Station, Plex, WebServer, etc. 2) To protect against large scale natural disasters install it at a friend's/relative's house and do remote back-up. (this second one is a bit trickier, it might be easier to get a cloud backup service :-) )

Return to “The Lounge”