Any Networking expert tell me the best way to set up my 1515+ in my network

Sit back and relax! Talk about anything here!
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
spixnspex
I'm New!
I'm New!

Any Networking expert tell me the best way to set up my 1515+ in my network

Postby spixnspex » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:39 pm

Hi

Im very new to networking and would like to try and get the most out of the equipment that i have and have drawn a diagram of my setup in the hope that someone can tell me the best way to setup my synology for the fastest speed.

I capture vhs footage (DV) to my computers and the local USB drives, however, i would like all computers on my network to capture to the 1515+ and do so simultaneously.

If you recommend a piece of equipment that could help me, please feel free to do so.

Here is what i have

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lp32yznrfusan5y/Screenshot%202016-04-15%2023.31.23.png?dl=0

Room 1 has the modem and router. I cant move this. I have a macmini server attached to the router.

I run an ethernet cat 6 cable from the router into my time capsule in room 2. And i use the capsule as a router which feeds my other mac computers.

I hope this gives you an idea of what i have.

Thanks for all your advice.
ctcousineau
Trainee
Trainee

Re: Any Networking expert tell me the best way to set up my 1515+ in my network

Postby ctcousineau » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:23 pm

You should be able to plug a small 5-port gigabit switch into one of the LAN <-> ports on the TIme Capsule. Then you can plug one (or all) of the computers and the Synology into the switch. There are many brands, but this is one example http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-Gigabit-Ethernet-Desktop-TL-SG105/dp/B00A128S24/.
spixnspex
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby spixnspex » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:40 pm

Thanks for your reply.

Would i gain any speed advantage from adding this?

Would i do the same if it was a switch that could take advantage of the LAG from the 1515+ ?
freefly
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Postby freefly » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:51 pm

Hi,

of what i have read here in the Forum, LAG don't gives you any advantage in terms of speed, it just adds redundancy.
What you can do is, connect several Ethernet Ports from the NAS to the switch and assign independent IP addresses (DHCP should do it automatically) and connect the NAS from each PC using another IP
This way you have in theory full 1Gb Network speed for each PC available to store/read Data.

Instead of buying a 5Port Switch i suggest going for a 8Port Model because this gives you at least 3 Free Ports, you need know if you have to add something in the future...
Level1 GEU-0822 is a option as well.

Regards
Before: DS207+
Current: DS415+ 2x6Tb WD and 1x4Tb for Backup.
spixnspex
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby spixnspex » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:40 am

Thanks for the advice

I'll check out youtube to see how I would assign individual ip addresses.

Would you know if i needed an Easy Smar, Unmanged or Managed Switch?

Thanks again
freefly
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Postby freefly » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:54 pm

Hi,

unmanaged Switch don't let you configure anything, you plug the devices in and it works, you can't configure Portspeed, LAG, Vlans or anything,
honestly, for your needs i don't see the benefit for a managed switch, but if you feel needing more in the future then you should know what you want to do and search for the appropriate device.

Sorry not being helpful, but it's like buying a car, it depends on so many variables and the offer is large...

Regards
Before: DS207+
Current: DS415+ 2x6Tb WD and 1x4Tb for Backup.
spixnspex
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby spixnspex » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:48 pm

Thanks for your reply

No thats quite ok. I totally get that theres a lot to know and you are right, it is a case of try it out now and if i need anything more, then do the research.

Pointing me in the right direction is what i need.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Return to “The Lounge”