Can you protect against ransom ware with 2nd diskstation

Sit back and relax! Talk about anything here!
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
kurt7066
I'm New!
I'm New!

Can you protect against ransom ware with 2nd diskstation

Postby kurt7066 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:01 am

If you have two diskstations set up in remote locations with one being the backup for the other, will a ransom virus be automatically transmitted between them or is there a natural layer of protection?

For example if a person with a pc connected to the diskstation clicks a bad link and the main diskstation gets infected, will the backup diskstation backup the newly encrypted version of the files?

I would assume that the answer is yes, since that is the diskstation's job, but is there a way to avoid that happening?

Could the backup diskstation maintain more than one version of backups so that only the most recent one would be contaminated?

I was thinking about setting up something like what is being discussed in this thread http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?t=41029
maxxfi
Compiler
Compiler

Re: Can you protect against ransom ware with 2nd diskstation

Postby maxxfi » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:32 pm

kurt7066 wrote:I would assume that the answer is yes, since that is the diskstation's job, but is there a way to avoid that happening?

As the diskstation doesn't know what to expect and what an 'encrypted file' is (it just data) I don't think it's simple.
Perhaps, if you leave in the storage a few files that you won't modify *ever*, and you modify the backup so that first fetches those files, if they are found modified then it doesn't proceed any further as it deduct that the origin has been compromised.
Could the backup diskstation maintain more than one version of backups so that only the most recent one would be contaminated?

That how a backup system should generally be configured, whatever you use for it: keep a few generations of versions, for instance by alternating full backups and incremental/differential ones.
That could be another way to detect an issue: if an incremental backup is more than e.g. 20% in size of the previous full backup (i.e. a massive change has happened) send an alert to the user.
DS-106j > DS-210j > DS-411
kurt7066
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Can you protect against ransom ware with 2nd diskstation

Postby kurt7066 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:00 pm

Thank you for your response.

It sounds like I can do what I want to do.

I wasn't sure how configurable the diskstations were, but you make it sound like they are highly configurable.

if an incremental backup is more than e.g. 20% in size of the previous full backup (i.e. a massive change has happened) send an alert to the user.

That's a good tip, thanks.

Return to “The Lounge”