Introduce yourself here

Sit back and relax! Talk about anything here!
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
Synologylearner
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Introduce yourself here

Unread post by Synologylearner » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:38 pm

Hi,
I'm Michelle, Aussie living in the Philippines.
I have DS416. I was introduced to Synology by a fellow user. Love it. Just wish I could set it up to the internet
after moving countries....

karenm
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by karenm » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:36 pm

Hi. I'm Karen. I've just bought my first Synology, a DS216j.

It's great to have the server functionality at home but I'm finding the Synology isn't straightforward to set up -- packages settings are all over the place, and the documentation is less than basic. I worked in IT a few years ago, so I don't have the latest, most up-to-date skills, but I do know enough to own one of these. And it should be easier than this.

Hoping this forum will be able to help on a few things.
Karen

javitxon
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by javitxon » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:59 pm

Hi,
this is Javitxon from Spain. I've just bought a DS218play and I'm quite happy so far... :)

See you.

rtcarsten
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by rtcarsten » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:58 pm

Hej,

my name is Carsten - and I'm in fact already two years on the forum, but seems I never untroduced myself...

I have a DS416play.

I ran an Icybox for years before switching to Synology. The Icybox did well for a long time, but usability and performance were low. Always looked for something more usable, especially for the non-tech's of the family. Several people recommended Synology, and so I decided to go for the DSP416play (which is considerably more expensive than the Icybox was, and my wife is still not convinced that it's worth the money ;-)

Mainly I use the station to store the families' videos, photos and music collections. This works quite fine, but it also seems that most of the time I am the sole user of the server. Didn't have a lot of time to look after my synology, so was pretty quiet here. Took the time over Eastern to clean up some things on my Synology - and I guess you will see some message from me in the other boards.

Best wishes
Carsten
There's no such thing as ice - it's just frozen water. DS416play 2x3TB (WD Red/Seagate Ironwolf) SHR

ruddlescounty
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by ruddlescounty » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:03 am

Hi all
I'm new to synology and also to this forum. just bought a ds415play to replace my netgear readynas - great improvement. so much so i decided to get another.
Being tight and enjoy fixing things i decided to get a broken DS414.
I was told the unit i bought had the blue flashing light issue - however when it turned up it didnt. instead the fans spin up then thats it. I believe i need to reflash via serial port.
However - i dont know where the serial port is on this unit - Could anyone suggest where i might ask this question - would the Underground section be a good start?

wish me luck :)

Ruddles

jhmorri2
Novice
Novice

Unread post by jhmorri2 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:59 pm

Hi,

My name is Jerem. I live in Arizona and am a part-owner of a full service IT company here in the valley. We have been using synology devices for just over 3 years. I purchased one myself about 3.5 years ago thinking it could become an asset to our clients. 3 years later, we now have more than 24 Synology devices throughout our clients and are constantly implementing more of them. We have had great success with them and have found them to be extremely versatile. We are the only authorized reseller in the Phoenix Valley and have enjoyed our relationship thus far with Synology.

I have read from the forums a few times before, but have never gotten involved. I believe I have extensive knowledge on how the systems function and where to find all the little hidden settings. I hope to contribute in a way that will save others both time and money.
Personal: RS3617xs, 12 GB RAM, DSM 6.2-23729 Update 2, 5 x 3 TB WD RED, 1 x 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 3 x 6 TB WD RED, 1 x 3 TB Seagate IronWolf.

Business: DS118, 6 x DS1515+, DS1517, DS1815+, DS213j, DS214se, 2 x DS218+, DS414, DS416play, NVR1218, 2 x RS3617xs, 8 x RT1900ac, 2 x RT2600ac, 2 x VirtualDSM

a13antichrist
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by a13antichrist » Tue May 15, 2018 9:25 pm

Hi, I'm Andrew, New Zealander living in the Netherlands.

Have just bought myself an RS3412RPxs, not sure what I will do with it yet but I intend to play around a lot. :) Also have a Q-device which is currently my main storage centre but the deal I got on this RS was too good to pass up.

I am an IT infrastructure engineer by trade, currently working for a consultancy with various clients in the Security/networking/storage arenas.

Currently building myself a new Ryzen HTPC; other interests include photography, electronic music, and debating ways to save the world. :)

Shadow771
Enlightened
Enlightened

Unread post by Shadow771 » Wed May 16, 2018 1:12 pm

Hi, I'm Shadow.
Synology DS216+II <--> Synology RT1900AC <--> <site-to-site VPN tunnel> <--> Synology RT1900AC <--> Synology DS118

neelbht
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by neelbht » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:04 pm

Hey, I'm Neel. I've been working as a content writer for one of the top tech blogs. I love streaming content online and Netflix is one of the best platforms I always love to explore.

neelbht
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by neelbht » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:27 pm

Greetings and Hello. I am a newbie to Synology as I just got my 916+ this week. My main goal with my device is to just have a server at the house.

Shadow771
Enlightened
Enlightened

Unread post by Shadow771 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:04 pm

neelbht wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:04 pm
Hey, I'm Neel. I've been working as a content writer for one of the top tech blogs. I love streaming content online and Netflix is one of the best platforms I always love to explore.
neelbht wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:27 pm
Greetings and Hello. I am a newbie to Synology as I just got my 916+ this week. My main goal with my device is to just have a server at the house.
Welcome to the Synology forum!

Rule #1: Don't double post...
Synology DS216+II <--> Synology RT1900AC <--> <site-to-site VPN tunnel> <--> Synology RT1900AC <--> Synology DS118

dmoors
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by dmoors » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:39 am

I'm David.
I'm in the UK and retired. I worked in supply chain support/admin (business processes and associated IT development) for the same international electrical, PC and technology retailer. I have 30 years of IT related experience, though not truly an IT professional, more a business professional with an IT hat on.
My roles over the 35 years started in stores as a graduate management trainee, a year in Belgium learning the business and translating staff training materials into French.
I then worked in marketing where I launched the first CD players, video recorders, and extended warranties to the unsuspecting public.

My first computing related role was managing the computerisation of the stores' price list production from a fleet of typewriters and Gestetner skins (mostly covered in correcting fluid) to a VAX PDP11 with a teletype terminal and a dial-up modem the size of a tower PC.
I showed computing aptitude and moved to a marketing services role, where I was responsible for replacing clerks re-typing data from mainframe printouts into spreadsheets, with an automated system of downloads and dBase programs to do the same analysis in a 100th of the time with no typing errors.
Over many years, I was responsible for supporting and training users on decision support systems, based first on APL/mainframe, then IBM OS/2, (anyone remember those? :-), then Business Objects and NCR/Teradata.
In the later years I worked in supply chain support and development and also wrote or collated the on-line user guides, knowledgebases, and help content for all the supply chain IT systems from mainframe to SAP to web-based apps.

In my retirement I manage a few rental properties and need to keep accounts and legal documents secure, so just installed a Synology home NAS, and C2 cloud backup. It's also an interesting project to learn the various media sharing and other functions, which should keep me amused for months. I built a couple of websites for friends with small businesses. Never done that before, but the underlying principles are the same as the building on-line help and knowledgebase systems on a corporate intranet. I might play with the Synology web server package and build my own website which could involve learning Wordpress, just for a challenge.

The NAS is a DS118 with WD 4TB Red.

I use Synology Drive to sync my important laptop folders to the NAS. I was pleased and surpised to find that Drive sync worked well in tandem with my Nikon photo editing software and Photo Station, provided I only sync from laptop to NAS and not in both directions.

Syncing Outlook data files automatically to the NAS was a challenge and needed a 3rd party software solution. (4Team Safe PST Backup. Free for home use). See my review article here: https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopi ... st#p536001

Are you asleep yet? LOL

If you are not asleep, and need to be bored a little more, then I have posted all the solutions to the issues I had choosing, setting up NAS and its packages to meet my needs. The solutions were sometimes provided by Synology Support and sometimes by my own research or trial and error. See post below.

https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopi ... 85#p536685

If you found this post useful, please leave a short reply, indicating "helpful", "didn't solve my issue", "useless", "too long", "too short", "just right", and any follow-on questions or answers of your own. Thanks.
Last edited by dmoors on Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

snapshot
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by snapshot » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:19 pm

Good morning/afternoon/evening (delete as appropriate for your time-zone)
I'm Jonathan and I live in the UK, somewhere between Stonehenge and Avebury stone circles.

I'm now retired after spending most of my working life in IT, much of it in Wintel support and server farming. As my wife keeps talking about downsizing (again) and I don't build high-end PCs any more I'm looking at reducing my hardware collection.
I'm considering buying a DS1618+ to replace one of more of my Asustor AS5104 and two HP Gen8s so you'll initially find me in the hardware compatibility section.....

Bob Zelin
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by Bob Zelin » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:13 pm

Hi -
while I am old (62 years old) I am NOT retired. I actively install shared storage systems for video facilities, and regularly check these forums to see who needs help with Synology systems (and other systems) that pertain specifically to professional video editing and graphics.

Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin
bobzelin@icloud.com

JohnyMacler
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by JohnyMacler » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:57 pm

Hey guys,

Just joined the forum recently. I look forward to reading some of the threads here and involving myself in discussions with the community.

Return to “The Lounge”