How often to replace Disk Station and or drives?

Sit back and relax! Talk about anything here!
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.

How often to replace Disk Station and or drives?

Postby AndyD » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:42 pm

I have a DS213j wutg 2 WD Red 4GB drives that I purchased and put into service in October 2014. I currently use it just for Surveillance Station and secondary backup from my iMac.
It has been performing well, bu tI know all things wear out... So how long should this last?

Re: How often to replace Disk Station and or drives?

Postby eaz » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:26 pm

There is no answer to that....
Technically: it will last until something fails, hard disks would typically do something between 25K hours and 50K Hours 3-6 years, 10 years is no exception.
functional: someday synology will stop updating DS, or you will find the system slow....
Please share if a reply was useful or how the issue was solved, it helps other DS users.

DS415+ (4TB HGST+ 4TB Seagate raid1 + 2*480GB SSD raid1), DS212+ (2*WD red 2TB), previous DS411J, DS106
Twisted World

Re: How often to replace Disk Station and or drives?

Postby Twisted World » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:20 pm

Obviously this is totally depending on what you expect from it and what you want to do with it.

My main unit is a DS1815+, I filled up all the bays and I wish it was faster. So 3 years after release I would upgrade it if I would want to spend that amount of money on it.

I have an old DS211+ at the office with one drive in it that it used to backup my important files over the internet to a location away from the main unit. It is slow as hell, accessing DSM is close to unbearable, but it serves it purpose. Using Cloud Station Sync is it still grabbing all new or edited files from the shares I selected. I don't care if the CPU is constantly in the red and it is slow as F. So 7 years after its release, I'm still not planning on putting anything more recent over there.

Your DiskStation is just like any other computer. Have a 5 year old laptop that you only use to browse the internet? It will probably do. Have the latest high-end desktop with 64 GB of RAM and all SSD storage and you want to do to high-quality 3D renderings? You'll probably want to upgrade or buy something better.

So again; it totally depends on what YOU want from it. Is it still doing what you want it to do? Can you live with the speeds and storage provided? Then be happy with it and keep using what you've got. :-)
Home units: DS1815+ | EDS14 | DS211+
Work units: DS916+ | DS216+II | DS216play | DS415play | DS212+

Return to “The Lounge”