Introduce yourself here

Sit back and relax! Talk about anything here!
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
willieaames
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Introduce yourself here

Unread post by willieaames » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:31 am

Welcome Donald, Hope you could learn a lot.

86hawkeye
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by 86hawkeye » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:08 pm

I’m Jeff.

I’m totally new to the NAS world. I’m looking to make my first purchase. I have no idea what to do (yet).

I have the following computers:

1. Early 2015 MacBook Pro Retina with 256GB SSD and 8GB RAM
2. Late 2013 MacBook Pro Retina with 256GB SSD and 8GB RAM
3. 2006(?) Mac Mini with 80GB HDD and 4GB RAM.

Katastrophy9
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Katastrophy9 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:13 am

Hello 86Hawkeye and other new users... we are all 'fighting the good fight' of setting up our first NAS solutions. I will definitely be stumbling about these forums so I thank you experienced users for your patience and foreknowledge of what to do with this box of things.

My first struggle - domain name for SSL
My second struggle - backup/sync folder on PC to encrypted folder on Syno (want it sync'd or backed up but not without securing the data)

Wish me luck
DS-216+II with DSM 6.1.4-15217 Update 2

jrb2017
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by jrb2017 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:27 pm

Good morning all

Just ordered my new DS418 and it should be here in a couple days (in transit). Going to read all the forums and learn what I can. I have had "toasters" in the past, but nothing of this caliber, so looking forward to seeing how I can maximize it. I do not think I need 32TB.. lol.. but I sure hate doing things twice... so.

I looked around.. debated just adding a new drive to my PC.. but I wanted to do "more" if that makes sense. I wanted a solution the wife and kids could use for backups, safeguarding movies and photos of the family etc.. and also allowing me to download whatever I want (i.e. Plex movies.. heh) without filling up my PC.

Looking forward to seeing how well, or if at all, it runs Plex. If all it ends up doing is 780, that is okay. I like to stream it to my ranch when we go out there and the Internet is really slow there anyway so 4k is out of the question anyway :P

Anyhoo, just wanted to say hello and thanks, in advance, for input. I am sure I will ask questions.. heh

Now.. to wait for a darn good harddrive sale.

Oh, I AM glad to see that I do not have to "add 2 of the exact same drives at a time" with this... albeit, the online configuration tool is awesome.. helps me plan how not to waste drive space...

Just need to see how "safe" SHR is vs Raid5. I'd hate for my wife to lose her photos of the kids :P

Russ

mike.b
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by mike.b » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:46 pm

Hi all

Just got myself an 218+ and the Nick Rushton book for Christmas. Looking forward to seeing what I can do with it.

mike

JensJacobsen
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by JensJacobsen » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:19 pm

Hi All

I've been using my Synology NAS J112 for 5 years now, and my RT1900ac router for a few years too. The router had a breakdown once, but after some logging and investigating Synology gave me a new one (after I had returned the faulty one), free of charge. Great service.

Jens

natedj
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by natedj » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:48 am

Hi, I’m Nate.
I entered the NAS world about about eight years ago and it was one of the best descisions ever. I no longer buy huge hard drives for my laptops or desktops since anything worth saving is saved to the NAS and can be accessed from anywhere.
I'm now on my 4th Synology, a DS718+ and things are a bit cheaper and faster than when I first started with a DS209.
I'm a CAD technician but dabble in everything including Audio/Video, photography etc and the NAS is the central hub of all my ventures.

nicolasd
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by nicolasd » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:34 pm

Hey Nic here from Brooklyn, NYC.

I just cracked open a RT2600ac for my home, replacing a 4 year old Airport Time Capsule that died on me over the weekend.

I'm an independent Mac IT consultant, but most of my knowledge is user-end troubleshooting, not things like networking, firewalls, port forwarding, dns, vpn. So I'm excited for my new Synology Router, but it looks like there's a ton to learn. I'm hoping I can learn from you all here. :D

I've set up a DS414 for a client, mostly as a TimeMachine server and a possible path to replacing services on macOS Server in the future. It's been pretty simple. I haven't done much except keep it updated and scrub the RAID now and again.

The RT2600 is basically at its defaults right now. If y'all have any suggestions or best practices, I'll be all ears!

New Tech
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by New Tech » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:56 pm

Hi forum users!

I've just set up my first NAS (218+ with 4GB non-OEM RAM and 2 Seagate 5900 RPM 4TB HDDs)! Looking forward to using the forum to gain the type of knowledge that only true users have.

I work at a small, not-for-profit tech trade association (although not on the IT team) and hope to bring some of my own experience to the forums.

Cheers!

domble
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by domble » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:03 pm

Dom here, got one DS216j at home, another at work, and a work colleague has another.

Just registered and posted here because my DS216j which has been reliable and indepensable since... probably 2016... has just failed after a DSM update and... guess what... I didn't back it up. So here in panic mode asking for help.

I did back up the work one, which did the update fine. Obviously sods law is alive and well.

So, wish me luck! Else I'll have the wife to answer to, what with the home one being used for her (and my) emails!

Dom.

aggierockdoc
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by aggierockdoc » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:04 pm

Aggierockdoc here...

Just to introduce myself... I was a synology virgin prior to my new DS218+ and its so far so good - pleased to get everything coming together and thankful to the support so far from the forum.

I'm English so apologies for my bad American.

I'm living in Costa Rica, and hoping that I can keep my DS218 happy despite our heat, dust, humidity, ants and geckos. (oh and i forgot the lightning).

Will do my best to both give as well as take in terms of my learning experience.
Synology DS218+
2Gb RAM
DSM 6.1.4 - 15217 update 5
Two basic volumes: 2Tb and 1Tb
Running on mixed network with Windows 7, Android and Linux devices.

switzer
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by switzer » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:28 am

Hi, my name is Stephanie, and I'm in Ontario, Canada. I recently purchased the RT2600AC to replace my Mac Time Capsule. I'm a Mac addict and presently use an iMac 27", two Mac Mini's, a MacBook Pro, iPad Pro, iPhone X, and an Apple Watch 3. I'm a home user and all the Apple stuff is connected by WiFi, except for one MacMini that is on Lan 1 for streaming media, a PS4 Pro on Lan 2 for gaming and my Sony 65" UHD 4K TV on Lan 3. I have an extra long cable hooked up to Lan 4 if I need to connect anything else.

Apple makes it very easy to configure stuff so when I connected the RT26, and was presented with the many configuration options it became a bit of a challenge. I could have just hooked up the RT26 and let it be, but oh no I have to tinker... So after two resets I have learned to take things easy and go with basic router settings with appropriate security. My challenge has been setting up VPN. I use "Express VPN" (Paid subscription) and although I've followed their configuration instructions I'm having difficulty setting it up, hence the two resets.

I'll keep trying, and would welcome any tips help, from anyone who is using this service.

After reading all the router reviews I found the RT 2600 finishing at the top of most of them and took the the plunge. I'm really pleased with the router and glad I made the switch.

And I'm happy to be here.

Frazzled
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Frazzled » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:03 pm

Hi Everyone
I am completely new to NAS drives but have just bought and partially installed a DS115j.
Things kind of going well but getting some doubts and questions.
First doubt is if my first post from earlier even made it onto the Forum as I cannot see it. Maybe and Admin needs to approve ?

Anyhow. Hi

jmdepili
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by jmdepili » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:58 am

Hi! Im Julius from Philippines we currently have 2 Synology DS1813, 1 Synology DS1815 and 1 DS415... Looking forward for a fruitful discussion with the community...

Regards

Ralphort
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by Ralphort » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:49 pm

jmdepili wrote:Hi! Im Julius from Philippines we currently have 2 Synology DS1813, 1 Synology DS1815 and 1 DS415... Looking forward for a fruitful discussion with the community...

Regards
Welcome Kabayan! :D

Return to “The Lounge”