Cost of the DX513 expansion? Synology please reconsider.

Sit back and relax! Talk about anything here!
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
afritz
I'm New!
I'm New!

Cost of the DX513 expansion? Synology please reconsider.

Postby afritz » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:55 am

I am looking at expanding my ds1812+.

I think Synology needs to rethink there pricing on this expansion Unit.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... -_-Product

here it is selling for $750. This is crazy for just a box to hold extra drives.

Just to show I can buy a DS415+ for $789.

Synology Please reconsider this Price.

I love the software and just want to expand my storage but for this price it is hard to swallow. I can buy 5 hard drives and it will be cheaper then the DX513
iknowtech
Seasoned
Seasoned

Re: Cost of the DX513 expansion? Synology please reconsider.

Postby iknowtech » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:25 am

Shop around some. They can be had much cheaper.

MSRP on this expansion unit is $499.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/9 ... nsion.html
drabisan
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Postby drabisan » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:41 am

@afritz is talking about CAD, @iknowtech is talking USD.

An expansion unit makes sense in this case, as you will be managing a single large volume with 13 disk altogether.
But the price is considerable, I fully agree!
I would expect Synology to offer a lower price as an expansion unit doesn't canibalise any of their products and rather is a significant commitment from users in Synology's solution. I don't see that as a luxury!
Just I'm anything but a marketing expert ;-)

If you can deal with separate units, you walk that path.
afritz
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby afritz » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:13 pm

Well that is my issue with this.

There is no processor, no on board no ram.

only a Esata card.

Where is this price coming from.
Rob Roy
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Rob Roy » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:48 am

I am new to the NAS. I bought the DS716+. I already have figured out that I need at least a four bay unit. I dont like the idea of a separate box. With growth in mind, i would like to see the NAS units be made where you could snap off a cover on the end of it and make expansion units that could be added on the main NAS by just plugging them in and put the end cover back on at the end of the expansion unit. The initial unit would require a heftier power supply, but this would be a better setup. just a thought. I agree that the cost of the current expansion units are way too high as they now stand.
Rob Roy
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Rob Roy » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:51 pm

Rob Roy wrote:I am new to the NAS. I bought the DS716+. I already have figured out that I need at least a four bay unit. I dont like the idea of a separate box. With growth in mind, i would like to see the NAS units be made where you could snap off a cover on the end of it and make expansion units that could be added on the main NAS by just plugging them in and put the end cover back on at the end of the expansion unit. The initial unit would require a heftier power supply, but this would be a better setup. just a thought. I agree that the cost of the current expansion units are way too high as they now stand.

I, also saw a board that would take two ssds on this board which plusgged into a drive bay:
http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-2-5- ... sd+adapter

This adapter would essentially make a two bay NAS become a four bay NAS, IF it worked properly. Better yet, if Synology would make a compatible board like this for a reasonable price, I would get one down the road as SSD prices come down some more. Of course, you would have to use SSDS or the small drives. I wonder if anyone has tried this in a Synology unit yet? I see on the ratings, some people said they had problems, but mostly was probably due to not making the manual options right as you do have to set up the adapter correctly.
Leon_
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Leon_ » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:26 pm

Same here - for me price of DX513 unit is 2/3 of the price of 5 drives WD RED 4TB.
Please adjust the price - it is an expansion device stripped from basically all other hardware features.

Thank you in advance.
mervincm
Versed
Versed

Postby mervincm » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:17 pm

If it was 50-75% of what it is now, I would get one. I doubt it happens, this is likely a really low volume product that make to sell to people that include the cost of time in their purchase decisions. IOW small-med businesses. buying one of these allows them to expand and get on with making money in their business. if it costs them a couple hundred more than it should, but saves them implementation and maybe outage costs, its a good investment.

for us home hobbyists, we have more time and flexibility, less funds :)

That being said, I am keeping an eye on it, hoping to pick one up for my 1813+ if they go on clearance/discontinued any time soon.
1815+ (factory patched board) 4GB 5x6TB WD RED
vandyman
Beginner
Beginner

Postby vandyman » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:04 pm

I am using a DX213 and I wanted to upgrade to the DX513 a few months ago, but after seeing the price I just upped the size of my drives for now.
Even if I sold my DX213 it still would not offset the price...

Synology needs to rethink there pricing and support if they want to stay in business.
DS 716+ with 2 x 4TB WD red Drives, 8MB ram upgrade.
DX 213 with 2 x 3TB WD red Drives.
RT1900ac Router.
Chucky_22
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Chucky_22 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:28 am

I own a DS916+ and was looking to expand to the DX513 but the price is way too expensive $550 in AU.
I agree with you all it's just a box with only an Esata card nothing else to drive up the price.

Synology please reconsider or better still bring out an NEW DX517 with a cheaper price
DS916+ 8GB - 3x 8TB WD Red NAS SHR 5 BTFRS - DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 7
DS215J - 2x 3TB WD Red NAS RAID 0 - DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 7
ben_r_
Trainee
Trainee

Postby ben_r_ » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:13 am

Just a quick follow up on this topic. I have a DS916+ and had 4 4TB WD Red HDDs in it. Kept going back and forth trying to decide whether I should add the DX513 or upgrade the HDDs. In the end the high cost of the DX513 killed it and Synology lost money it could have gotten from me. I ended up buying 4 8TB WD Red HDDs and selling my 4 4TB WD Red HDDs and that upgrade effectively doubled my storage capacity for much less than buying the DX513. Had I gone the DX513 route, on top of that I would have had to include the cost of additional HDDs. It just didnt make sense.
juwi_uk
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby juwi_uk » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:55 am

I agree, I think the unit should be around half the price it is quoted given the components inside.

It has certainly put me off upgrading for now though I keep my eye on ebay too for a second hand one at more reasonable price.

Synology need to rethink marketing for these IMHO.

Return to “The Lounge”