Is Synology collecting data behind the scenes?

Sit back and relax! Talk about anything here!
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
Wall
Trainee
Trainee

Re: Is Synology collecting data behind the scenes?

Postby Wall » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:10 pm

Can see it connect to checkip.synology.com and checkipv6.synology.com over 8k time a day?? bit crazy lol
Skyview
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Skyview » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:24 am

Noah wrote:I take it you all have a firewall in front of your Syno. Assign the Syno a static IP in your LAN and disable any outgoing connections for the box. Done :D

As someone considering a Synology purchase this concerns me, even with the explanation. Would the above actually prevent this behavior? Not having any experience with Synology products, is there actually an option to disable outgoing connections for anything outside the local network?
dario_zgb
Versed
Versed

Postby dario_zgb » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:32 pm

Wall wrote:Can see it connect to checkip.synology.com and checkipv6.synology.com over 8k time a day?? bit crazy lol

https://www.synology.com/en-global/know ... g_software
--
DS416play (4x4TB WD Red, SHR) * DS216se (2x3TB WD Red, RAID 0) *
DS214se (2x2TB WD Red, SHR) * DS115j (2TB WD Blue) * RT2600ac
Noah
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Noah » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:32 pm

Skyview wrote:
Noah wrote:I take it you all have a firewall in front of your Syno. Assign the Syno a static IP in your LAN and disable any outgoing connections for the box. Done :D

Would the above actually prevent this behavior? Not having any experience with Synology products, is there actually an option to disable outgoing connections for anything outside the local network?

Yes.

Of course, you will not block outgoing traffic on the Synology itself, but on your perimeter, e.g. your router/firewall.

We do this, and that is even 'though I do trust Synology very much. Still, I do not want any traffic between our Synologies and the internet, or vice versa, except for when I explicitly want it. No phoning home, or phoning to aunt Tilly ( :mrgreen: ), or whatever. One bad employee, and one bad - or ignored - corporate policy, is all it takes, for phoning home to become a disaster.

That means I manually open up the firewalls once Synology emails me there is a new DSM update (and I usually wait a couple of weeks until the dust has settled), to have the boxes update themselves, after which we close the firewalls.

Access to some of our Synologies from the internet is via double VPN: BSD-based perimeter VPN-tunnels, which have Synology VPN-tunnels inside. Of course both certificates and UID/PWD at the same time.

So, short summary: yes: block Synologies (and *any* of your servers/appliances like TV's/fridges/cars/whatever/!) and live happy :D
Somebody here sucks big time. BIG time. Small...

Return to “The Lounge”