How to Delete & Prevent @eaDir Folders

Questions and mods regarding system management may go here
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
netsyspro
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: How to Delete & Prevent @eaDir Folders

Unread post by netsyspro » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:00 pm

Hello,

Did this work for anyone?

As for me, I am unable to disable /usr/syno/sbin/synomkflvd.
Killing the process causes it to be respawned:

Code: Select all

Mar 14 16:57:54 server02 [39892.828382] init: synomkflvd main process ended, respawning
Anyone has had any success?

maxxfi
Compiler
Compiler

Unread post by maxxfi » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:10 pm

Try to run the command:
synoservicecfg --stop synomkflvd

It should stoip the process and also create a file /etc/init/synomkflvd.override that contains only the word 'manual' (which will be used at the next reboot to avoid starting the server automatically).

You can use 'synoservicecfg --status synomkflvd' to check the current status of the service.
No longer using Synology NAS, moved to more open source solutions.
DS-106j > DS-210j > DS-411

netsyspro
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by netsyspro » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:33 pm

Thanks a lot.
Will try that and check whether the @eaDir folders are created again.

Thank you.

netsyspro
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by netsyspro » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:13 am

Unfortunately, the @eaDir folders were still created last night.

I see that the program /usr/syno/sbin/fileindexd is running.
Could it be creating the @eaDir folders?

I am willing to try other options, if you want to suggest any.

Thank you for your help.

fordboy0
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by fordboy0 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:32 pm

netsyspro wrote:...
I see that the program /usr/syno/sbin/fileindexd is running.
Could it be creating the @eaDir folders?
Hi netsyspro

In my limited testing, it seems the file indexing service does not create the @eaDir directories.

A couple of questions:
1. Did you run 'synoservicecfg --stop synomkthumbd' as the root user?

2. What is the output of the following commands (both as root) immediately after running the above command, and then again after reboot::
synoservicecfg --status synomkthumbd
synoservicectl --status synomkthumbd

3. What version of the DSM?

-Fordboy0

onoSendai
I'm New!
I'm New!

How to get rid of the @eaDir folders?

Unread post by onoSendai » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:34 pm

Hi all,

I'm desperately trying to get rid of the @eaDir folders since they interfere with our database-application using the NAS for data-importing.
All the posts I've found about removing the services which create these folders are outdated and refer to files and programs no longer used on the newer versions of DSM.
Does anyone know how to do it for the DSM 6.0.1 on a DS412+ ??

Cheers.

Paktas
Experienced
Experienced

delete @eaDir folders?

Unread post by Paktas » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:49 pm

Did you find out anything up-to date? THey take up loads of spaces and I want to get get rid of eaDir folders too.
Synology DS409 + 4 x WD CAVIAR GREEN 2TB (running DS411j firmware - DSM 6.0.2)
Synology DS713+ + 2 x WD 3TB

mPanebianco
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by mPanebianco » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:38 pm

New here and came across this forum addressing the same concerns/issues that I have. I am in the same vote as well. I use OSX and would like to be able to do the initial back up to the DS2415+ via the USB ports. I'd like to be able to do this with out DSM adding these extra folders that OSX does not need. That way when I do subsequent syncs over the network it's not trying to sync extra @eaDir or @tmp folders that I did not create. I wish that Synology would allow me to attach drives without it adding crap that was not there to begin with. I think the difference is a hard drive attached that's being backed up vs. an attached drive that's meant to be used in conjunction with DSM. I'd like an easy way to disable this as well for external storage devices that are only attached for back up purposes.

wags1
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by wags1 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:06 pm

Has anyone found out how to permanently kill this deamon/process that is adding these "@eaDir" folders? This has caused me many hours of troubleshooting another application that was using folders from my Synology NAS.

I found the right set of commands to stop the deamon/process and also to find and delete all the existing "@eaDir" directories but I can't seem to permanently turn off the deamon/process so it does not start up again.

How bout some help from Synology support on this????

jocoture
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by jocoture » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:06 pm

Could you share the info what you exactly did to get this stopped.
Perhaps then someone might have an idea on how to prevent the processes from starting again.

wags1
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by wags1 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:25 pm

SSH into your NAS, login as admin then issue sudo -i to switch to root then issue -

synoservicecfg --stop synomkthumbd

that will stop the process

wags1
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by wags1 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:17 pm

I have traded many emails with Synology technical support regarding this problem over the last week or so. In those emails Synology support has made clear that they have no intention of assisting their products users with solving this problem. In light of that position I have sent Synology the following feature request:

1 - In order to prevent serious problems with non Synology programs that use data from Synology NAS products due to the creation of hidden "@eaDir" directories in non-media shared folders (ie. folders other than photo, video, or music), please fix your process "synomkthumbd" so that it limits it's activities, as it's actually supposed to, to just the photo, music, and video, shared folders.
2 - Provide user control of the process "synomkthumbd" so that it can be permanently disabled and/or at least restricted to creating the hidden "@eaDir" folders in only user defined shared folders thru the GUI.

I suggest that if you are having problems with this that you save yourself some time and agrivation and skip trying to get technical support to help you and simply submit a similar feature request.

ozgadgetguy
Novice
Novice

Unread post by ozgadgetguy » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:21 am

wags1 wrote:SSH into your NAS, login as admin then issue sudo -i to switch to root then issue -

synoservicecfg --stop synomkthumbd

that will stop the process
Where can I add this so that it is run on every startup?

LinuxRox
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by LinuxRox » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:56 pm

I'm not positive, but I'm trying this:

If you run "synoservicecfg --is-enabled synomkthumbd" and it returns "synomkthumbd is enabled.", then the service will probably resume every time you reboot.
Try running "synoservicecfg --disable synomkthumbd"

I believe the --stop flag stops the current server process, and the --disable stops it from automatically running on startup. On every version of Linux that I have used, a service can be started/stopped for the current runtime, but must be enabled/disabled so it will/won't start on boot, e.g. chkconfig, service and systemctl can start/stop a service for the current run time and enable/disable a service from starting for the next runtime.

tokyojerry
Experienced
Experienced

Unread post by tokyojerry » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:25 am

Synology support is useless as you can see in this thread alone there is not a single reply posted by a technician at Synology as a resolution to this problem. They are only interested in selling, not after market support. I am having this same problem too but don't have don't have the technical prowess to deal with cryptic log messages. I get this when I try to rsync my QNAP NAS to Synology (DS1515+) as a backup.

rsync: delete_file: unlink(Mac 170914a/Grammarian Pro2 X v2.0.4/@eaDir/GrammarianPRO2X204.dmg@SynoEAStream) failed: Permission denied (13)

The message is caused by attempting by the Synology in response to attempting to backup shares on the QNAP to the same shares on the Synology.

I am gradually switching to QNAP. Not only are their NASes more feature-rich such as direct HDMI and thunderbolt 3 connectivity and dual functionality as a DAS / NAS, their support staff are superb. My second NAS, which is the Synology causing this problem to occur and without any resolution, will soon be sold. I intend to invest in a second QNAP as backup NAS and other functionality.

For those needing a resolution to this problem, I suggest submitting a support ticket to Synology's help desk directly. There might be a quicker resolution to this problem versus expecting some Synology technician to address the issue here on a forum discussion. My 2-cents worth. (top of page)

Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu
Jerry
Tokyo, Japan

DS1515+ Backup NAS (6TBx4 in RAID5)
QNAP TS653-B Primary NAS (6TBx4, RAID 5)

Return to “System Managment Mods”