Specifying a user to synoacltool

Questions and mods regarding system management may go here
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
roarkh
Trainee
Trainee

Specifying a user to synoacltool

Unread post by roarkh » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:38 pm

Hi everyone, I'm having a devil of a time figuring out how to use synoacltool, I'm wondering if there is any sort of documentation somewhere including examples beyond what the built-in help has?

Specifically I'm having trouble specifying user names at the moment.

For example, if I use "synoacltool -get /volume1/File_Share" it returns...
[0] user:backup:allow:rwxpdDaARWc--:fd-- (level:0)
[1] user:DOMAIN\administrator:allow:rwxpdDaARWc--:fd-- (level:0)
[2] user:admin:allow:rwxpdDaARWc--:fd-- (level:0)
This seems to show me the format for user names (user:admin for example). So, as a test let's say I want to pull the permissions for the user admin out of the same share, according to the documentation I think the command should be...
synoacltool -get-perm /volume1/File_Share user:admin
but if I type that I'm told "(synoacltool.c, 725)No such user". I'm having the same problem using the add command, no matter what user I try I'm told "No such user".

Can anyone tell me what I'm missing when it comes to specifying user names to synoacltool?

Thank you.

roarkh
Trainee
Trainee

Re: Specifying a user to synoacltool

Unread post by roarkh » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:28 pm

I discovered a couple issues that were contributing to my issue.

1. At least in many cases synoacltool needs to be run by root, so needs a "sudo" in front of it.
2. When specifying a username for a domain account you need to use the "\" character, however that has a special meaning in the shell. Replacing "\" with "\\" solved that problem for me. So, for example, a domain user would need to be written as DOMAIN\\username

Return to “System Managment Mods”