RESOLVED: Logging into Synology SSH using a key instead of a password

Anything regarding SSL/SSH and other security questions may go here
Forum rules
Please note the disclaimer before modifying your Synology Product.
esojourn
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: RESOLVED: Logging into Synology SSH using a key instead of a password

Postby esojourn » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:52 am

You are my HERO! Thanks!!!

drueter@assyst.com wrote:One more note on accessing Synology's rsync via SSH from a remote machine:

Even after getting SSH set up and working as per my previous post, my Synology was returning an error when using rsync. (In my case I am connecting to the Synology from a FreeNAS box.)

freenas rsync: Permission denied, please try again.
freenas rsync: rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [Receiver]
freenas rsync: rsync: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(226) [Receiver=3.1.2]

The "permission" in question isn't related to SSH: SSH login via key is working fine. Nor is the "permission" a file access permission on either the Synology or the FreeNAS. Instead the "permission" has to do with the rsync binary file on the Synology.

Evidently when using rsync from a remote client via SSH you must specify this rsync parameter: --rsync-path=/usr/bin/rsync

If executing rsync from the command line, do so like this:

Code: Select all

rsync -vrtplze ssh --progress --stats --rsync-path=/usr/bin/rsync MySynologyIP/volume1/MySynologySharedVolPath /MyLocalDirectory

(Replace MySynologyIP with the actual IP address of the Synology, replace MySynologySharedVolPath with the actual Synology path you want to synchronize, and replace MyLocalDirectory with the path on the local client to which you want to syncronize.)

If setting up a FreeNAS Rsync Task, add --rsync-path=/usr/bin/rsync to the "Extra Options" field.

(This post helped me figure this out: https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?t=92627 )

This is another Synology quirk that should be documented, or resolved.

Return to “Security/Secured Mods”