"system partition failed" should have a support page

Discuss with the community any ideas you'd love to see in future DiskStations and DSM updates! We do our best to monitor and forward all of them, but we recommend to also use this form as our team will systematically see your suggestion:
https://www.synology.com/form/inquiry/feature
Forum rules
We do our best to monitor and forward your ideas to our team, but due to the large amount, we may not see every single one and recommend to also use this form as our team will systematically see your suggestion:
https://www.synology.com/form/inquiry/feature
jcdeanes
I'm New!
I'm New!

"system partition failed" should have a support page

Postby jcdeanes » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:14 pm

Hi all,

I just stumbled on "system partition failed" while replacing a 3TB by 4TB

I searched through the docs and the forum and only 8 users topics address this status question (over 436 topics on "system partition failed").

Since it seems to be a normal status when changing a hard drive (upgrade or repair), I think it should be documented adequately. A dedicated page in the support documentation.

----------
1. When you open DSM >System Health Widget indicates "Attention, Volume has crashed. Failed to access the system partition. Please repair it by clicking the following link (Repair)
Do not repaire, it may just be fine in the end. The alert may be misleading you to do worse than better.

2.1 You open the Storage Manager, same alert. The overview shows that the used disk are clean (blue). You starting to wonder.

2.2 In Storage Manager > Volume, you see that one of your hard drive status display "System Partition Failed"

2.3 In Storage Manager > HDD/SSD > Select the disk with red status and click "Health Info" Button
If it says "Healthy", you are on the good track. If not, please check the forums or more information and contact support.

2.4 Go back to Storage Manager > Volume and read the blue text in the status section :
"Verifying hard disks in the background (checking parity consistency. 12.34%)"

If so, be patient and come back everyday to see the progression.
------------

If I made a mistake (reasoning or else), please feel free to comment.

Strangely enough, I changed my "Disk 2" and this status appears on "Disk 3" (both have normal health)

Thanks,
Jc'
the_dude
Student
Student

Re: "system partition failed" should have a support page

Postby the_dude » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:59 pm

I just had the same problem. I noticed one of my iSCSI LUNs randomly disconnected as well from my DS413. Weird :x .
I don't see it doing anything as I didn't run the repair. Do I run the 'Run a file system check'? Is that what you're saying in step 2.4?

&
DS413 5.1-5004 - w/ 4x1TB WD Red HDD - RAID10
DS212j 5.1-5004 - w/ 2x2TB Seagate Barracuda - RAID1
nobrainer
Trainee
Trainee

Postby nobrainer » Sat May 30, 2015 7:54 pm

My ds412+ says this after a failed hd upgrade (replacement drive went bad while repairing). I put the original in but drives 3&4 say system partition failed, but the disks say healthy. I have no repair option that I can find.
bond74
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby bond74 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:48 pm

Wanted to increase the HDD size, so swapped a 1,5 GB HDD with 3 GBB a HDD. Now the old HDD says systempartition failed but health says its good.
Under Volume it does say degraded under status, but the manage button where i can repair the HDD is greyed out exactly as in the picture in the above post.

Anybody know what to do?
Roadie
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Roadie » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:42 pm

I have similar problem too, but even after repair, the error message would reappear quickly.
philhu
Versed
Versed

Postby philhu » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:29 pm

I really do not understand why these manufacturers dont have an SD card for the NAS OS. Thecus has 2, one a backup if the primary fails.

SD readers are about $2 in quantity, and could be wired to an ide port if they wanted
Ive
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Ive » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:45 pm

Hello,

I've had my 415+ for less than a year, new to the forums, and now have this same error. I followed the checklist steps in the OP: the affected disk 4 shows still being "Healthy" even though the error persists. I have not yet performed/clicked "repair", as the OP said this may make things worse.

Does anyone have any more insight into this? I'm somewhat new to Synology NAS' and the reason why I bought a Synology unit was due to their OS reputation, however their lack of actual helpful and direct support worries me, hence my reach out to the forum community here.

Should I actually run the repair as DSM suggests? I do not have enough storage space elsewhere to do a full backup anytime soon in the event the repair leads to any kind of data loss, hence my current hesitation.

Thank you kindly for any advice you can give this newbie! :)
lwkvic@gmail.com
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby lwkvic@gmail.com » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:22 pm

Hi all,

I am facing the same issue with my DS415+. Was on 4 drive of 1TB and expanding per advise given in the help guide by replacing it one by one. Disk 1 was ok, completed successfully. But when I Swap disk 2, it show repair yes, but only for disk 2. Then weird thing appear and disk 1 show System partition failed. After i proceed to repair disk 2, it completed without a problem, but the disk one system partition failed still appear in HDD/SDD category, under disk 1. But in Volume everything works fine.

My question to Synology support:
What does that mean: System partition failed? Is this due to the expanding process? Will it disappear if I completed the 4th disk?

I can't repair disk 1 as the manage button is grey and can't repair under volume as it shows normal. Please advise or help if anyone have any idea.

Return to “Feature Requests & Product Improvement Suggestions”