PLEASE VOTE: Ability encrypt Home/Photo/Video/Music folders

Discuss with the community any ideas you'd love to see in future DiskStations and DSM updates! We do our best to monitor and forward all of them, but we recommend to also use this form as our team will systematically see your suggestion:
https://www.synology.com/form/inquiry/feature
Forum rules
We do our best to monitor and forward your ideas to our team, but due to the large amount, we may not see every single one and recommend to also use this form as our team will systematically see your suggestion:
https://www.synology.com/form/inquiry/feature

Do you agree that being able to encrypt the Photo/Home folders is an important feature?

Yes
94%
No
5%
No opinion/Not sure
0%

Total votes: 212
afawaz
Beginner
Beginner

Re: PLEASE VOTE: Ability encrypt Home/Photo/Video/Music fold

Postby afawaz » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:20 am

This is what I finally did, which is ok for me as a workaround ! ( a solution I found in this forum somewhere :) )
create a shared encrypted folder /volume1/data
put your photos in it. /volume1/data/photo
add this file Sxxmountphoto.sh ( free xx place ) for 60
and that's it

SNas:~> cat /usr/syno/etc/rc.d/S60mountphoto.sh
#!/bin/sh
mount -o bind /volume1/data/photo /volume1/photo
rowox
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Postby rowox » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:05 am

afawaz wrote:This is what I finally did, which is ok for me as a workaround ! ( a solution I found in this forum somewhere :) )
create a shared encrypted folder /volume1/data
put your photos in it. /volume1/data/photo
add this file Sxxmountphoto.sh ( free xx place ) for 60
and that's it

SNas:~> cat /usr/syno/etc/rc.d/S60mountphoto.sh
#!/bin/sh
mount -o bind /volume1/data/photo /volume1/photo

Are you able to access your photos with Synology's app DS Photo?
Do you agree that you should be able to encrypt your important folders, such as Photo, Home (and Video and Music)? PLEASE VOTE and comment at the following thread and make your voice heard (you'll need to cut and paste the URL):
http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=93366

DS415+, 4 x 6TB Red
afawaz
Beginner
Beginner

Postby afawaz » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:39 am

rowox wrote:
Are you able to access your photos with Synology's app DS Photo?

yes sure
charlesrgoodman
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby charlesrgoodman » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:49 am

I completely agree - this is a no-brainer! How Synology hasn't been crucified for this gap in reviews/blogs/boards/social media is beyond me.

Recently, my MacBook Air died (logicboard) and I had to send it in for repair. Out of laziness, I had never encrypted my drive. Arrrggghhh!!! Who had their hands on my data while it was being repaired?!?!? My unencrypted hard drive was loaded with personal info, photos, tax returns, etc., etc. As soon as the laptop returned, I enabled filevault - OS X's built-in, volume-level encryption.

I had never enabled encryption on my Synology 1513+ NAS either, and I quickly went to enable encryption there as well. After seeing no obvious way to turn it on, I spent a couple of minutes searching the web and was shocked to discover that I CANNOT encrypt the home folder, or other standard folders...and no volume-based encryption. Seriously? A business-class server product that can't be "properly" encrypted? My one-drive, personal laptop has better encryption than a platform, which costs orders of magnitude more and is marketed (in part) to medium-sized businesses? Amazing.

I have voted and I will write to Synology to add my voice to the call for proper encryption. As far as I'm concerned, they can either start with allowing us to encrypt the home folder...or maybe let's say we want encryption capabilities as good as a MacBook. Is that too much to ask?

Thanks for starting this thread.
roninXpl
Beginner
Beginner

Re: PLEASE VOTE: Ability encrypt Home/Photo/Video/Music folders

Postby roninXpl » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:40 pm

+1 for encrypted Dropbox folder
stedfan
Trainee
Trainee

Postby stedfan » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:49 am

+i for encrypted "system default" shares, that this has not yet been implemented is mind bending
rowox
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Postby rowox » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:15 am

I just had a discussion with the support/dev team in Taiwan for an unrelated issue (see here: https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=160&t=114845) and at the end of our TeamViewer session, I took the opportunity, while I KNEW I had the attention of some people at the head office, to reiterate my request to have the ability to do a full disk encryption, or at least encrypt photo and home folders. Their answer was that they do get this request from time to time, but it is up to the PM to decide which features get implemented.

I'd just like to reiterate to the interested using on this thread that, although I'd like to think that voting here helps this request, the reality is that with barely over 100 votes, that probably isn't a compelling argument to the PM team (especially considering that this forum isn't actively monitors by them). Writing directly to Synology's support team (as described in my initial post) is probably the best way to voice your opinion to the PM team; doing +1 helps keep the thread alive, but I'm not sure how much of that message gets brought back HQ.

Thanks.
Do you agree that you should be able to encrypt your important folders, such as Photo, Home (and Video and Music)? PLEASE VOTE and comment at the following thread and make your voice heard (you'll need to cut and paste the URL):

DS415+, 4 x 6TB Red
david_
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby david_ » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:58 pm

What we really need is whole disk encryption. I'm a little surprised that Synology still doesn't support it.
rowox
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Postby rowox » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:52 pm

david_ wrote:What we really need is whole disk encryption. I'm a little surprised that Synology still doesn't support it.

I agree with you. You should write to Synology to let them know your opinion and explain why you think it is important.

DS415+, 4 x 6TB Red
d1ma
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby d1ma » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:22 pm

I agree that the entire disk must be encrypted, like it's done in many laptops nowadays
Manni79
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Manni79 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:02 pm

d1ma wrote:I agree that the entire disk must be encrypted, like it's done in many laptops nowadays

Of course it should be possible that everything is encrypted, video and photo e.g. also. It’s a shame that it's not possible basically with DSM.

charlesrgoodman wrote:..., I spent a couple of minutes searching the web and was shocked to discover that I CANNOT encrypt the home folder, or other standard folders...and no volume-based encryption. Seriously? A business-class server product that can't be "properly" encrypted?

+1
b3nny
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby b3nny » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:06 am

I recently purchased a synology nas, hoping for an upgrade from my freeNas system.
However I assumed that "share encryption" meant you can encrypt all shares.
This is a great disappointment since synology is not cheap and it actually turned out to be a downgrade from the freenas system.

In my opinion it is a deal breaker and a trust breaker as well. Why would encryption not be available for the "forced upon" folders needed by the apps?!

In freeNas ( as far as i know ), it is possible to boot your system and then from the web gui mount encrypted volumes (or even automount).

I will definitely try to give back my synology and will definitely warn people who are thinking about purchasing one.

Another thing is that https is not enforced when loggin in from external locations, and streaming video default is http. I still havent managed to set up the https, but i assumed the DSM web interface through quick connect would be https, which it wasnt. This is a risk to many people of accidentaly sharing their passwords.

Solutions:
1.) Add a choice in the apps, what folder to use. That way you can choose a folder inside an encrypted path.
2.) Add a choice during installation of an app if its folder should be encrypted or not. That way a new unencrypted share is not created by accident.
3.) Be more clear in specifications that share encryption does not cover home folders or folders used by synologys apps. I can not give mine back since i unpacked and started it, I will still try since synology has not delivered what they promised and frankly, what every low end nas should support.
syno.dustin
Sorcerer
Sorcerer

Postby syno.dustin » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:53 pm

@ b3nny there's an option to force HTTPS. Encryption for the default shared folders created when installing specific applications is a DSM6.1 feature. Though currently you can just not use those folders. The only application that requires the original folder is Photo Station. Also, the issue with enabling such a feature on a low end NAS is encryption performance. I'm sure we'll see complaints about this once 6.1 is released when people try it out on their j-series models but I guess we'll see how people react to it.
If you need technical support please use this form: https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php
Synology does not consistently browse this forum for technical support, feature requests, or any other inquiries as it notes at the top of the page. Please use the proper channels when you need help from someone at Synology.
rowox
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Postby rowox » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:52 pm

syno.dustin wrote:Encryption for the default shared folders created when installing specific applications is a DSM6.1 feature.

Hey, wait a minute Dustin! Can I conclude from your comment above that, finally, almost 2 years after I started this thread to try and pressure Synology to allow encryption of the default folders, this feature will be available soon? That's great news, it bring a tear to my eye!

I guess we will finally be able to put to rest this thread... although some of the comments here were related to whole disk encryption. You wouldn't happen to know if whole disk encryption will also be available soon?

Is there an announcement for DSM 6.1 release date? Will we be able to "convert" (encrypt) existing Photo/Music/Video/Home folders?

Thanks

DS415+, 4 x 6TB Red
syno.dustin
Sorcerer
Sorcerer

Postby syno.dustin » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:30 pm

6.1 will be released when the developers consider it to be sufficiently tested.

It's not FDE- it just changes how encryption works for shared folders.
If you need technical support please use this form: https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php
Synology does not consistently browse this forum for technical support, feature requests, or any other inquiries as it notes at the top of the page. Please use the proper channels when you need help from someone at Synology.

Return to “Feature Requests & Product Improvement Suggestions”