PLEASE VOTE: Ability encrypt Home/Photo/Video/Music folders

Discuss with the community any ideas you'd love to see in future DiskStations and DSM updates! We do our best to monitor and forward all of them, but we recommend to also use this form as our team will systematically see your suggestion:
https://www.synology.com/form/inquiry/feature
Forum rules
We do our best to monitor and forward your ideas to our team, but due to the large amount, we may not see every single one and recommend to also use this form as our team will systematically see your suggestion:
https://www.synology.com/form/inquiry/feature

Do you agree that being able to encrypt the Photo/Home folders is an important feature?

Yes
200
94%
No
11
5%
No opinion/Not sure
1
0%
 
Total votes: 212
User avatar
Bar2D2
Experienced
Experienced
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:12 am

Re: PLEASE VOTE: Ability encrypt Home/Photo/Video/Music folders

Postby Bar2D2 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:22 pm

+1 for encrypting ALL folders!
DS413 - 4 x 3TB Western Digital (WD30EZRX and WD30EFRX) - SHR - EXT4 - DSM always latest version
Mobile apps on iPhone6S (iOS always latest version)
sdertz
Student
Student
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:16 pm

Re: PLEASE VOTE: Ability encrypt Home/Photo/Video/Music folders

Postby sdertz » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:55 pm

syno.dustin wrote:6.1 will be released when the developers consider it to be sufficiently tested.

It's not FDE- it just changes how encryption works for shared folders.

Oh, well better than nothing. Full drive encryption is not really needed, but at least volume encryption should be implemented in the same way as your competition (q...) did it.
Manni79
Trainee
Trainee
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:52 pm

Re: PLEASE VOTE: Ability encrypt Home/Photo/Video/Music folders

Postby Manni79 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:22 pm

sdertz wrote:Oh, well better than nothing. Full drive encryption is not really needed, but at least volume encryption should be implemented in the same way as your competition (q...) did it.


Yes, but I hope this really means with DS 6.1 every Volume on the NAS can be encrypted, also the defaultVIDEO, PHOTO (etc) folders. And I hope that the Media-Indexing can handle it then. Because after Reboot, the encrypted volumes are unmounted until mount with encryption-key. So the Media Index should not clean the media index after every reboot (like it is at the moment). At the moment, when having custom media folder in encrypted shared folders and after DS reboot the Media index have to index everything again. It's a pain in the ass.

We have 2017 soon, talking about Data security every where. And still a big NAS-OS like DS is not able to encrypt the full Drive and is not able to use features like SED (self encrypting drives). It's a pity. Also SED should be usable with DS soon!
rowox
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable
Posts: 335
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:15 am

Re: PLEASE VOTE: Ability encrypt Home/Photo/Video/Music folders

Postby rowox » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:08 pm

I was looking forward to upgrading to 6.1 given syno.dustin's previous assertion that this version would bring encryption to all spcial folders, such as Home, Photo and Video (been waiting for this for 3 years!).

However, looking at the release notes (https://www.synology.com/en-us/releaseNote/DS415+), I don't see any mention of any change to the encryption abilities...

Has this feature been pushed to a later release, or they just didn't mention it in the release notes?

Thanks
Do you agree that you should be able to encrypt your important folders, such as Photo, Home (and Video and Music)? PLEASE VOTE and comment at the following thread and make your voice heard (you'll need to cut and paste the URL):
http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=93366

DS415+, 4 x 6TB Red
sincarne
Navigator
Navigator
Posts: 977
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:57 pm

Re: PLEASE VOTE: Ability encrypt Home/Photo/Video/Music folders

Postby sincarne » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:31 pm

Edit folder. I did and it work
rowox
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable
Posts: 335
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:15 am

Re: PLEASE VOTE: Ability encrypt Home/Photo/Video/Music folders

Postby rowox » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:26 pm

Indeed. I'm just surprised they didn't mention it in the release notes.

Did you use the key manager? I didn't even know this existed... it must be new. I also see that you do not have the option to "auto-mount" on startup anymore, you must use the key manager. Interesting.. I'll have to read up on that.
Do you agree that you should be able to encrypt your important folders, such as Photo, Home (and Video and Music)? PLEASE VOTE and comment at the following thread and make your voice heard (you'll need to cut and paste the URL):
http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=93366

DS415+, 4 x 6TB Red
Manni79
Trainee
Trainee
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:52 pm

Re: PLEASE VOTE: Ability encrypt Home/Photo/Video/Music folders

Postby Manni79 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:35 am

Wow, nice. I have to try it soon! Would be great! Do you have made good experience right now with encrypted default shared-folders like "video" and "photo" or do you have found bugs and problems?

Did they fix also the bug with "Media-Indexing" on shared folder? On Every Reboot of my DS, the file indexing has to re-index everything again! A full day of media indexing, every restart of DS. :-( Because after restart and after manually enter the mount password for the encrypted folders, the media indexing has forgotten everything. Explained here.
Manni79 wrote:
sdertz wrote:Oh, well better than nothing. Full drive encryption is not really needed, but at least volume encryption should be implemented in the same way as your competition (q...) did it.


Yes, but I hope this really means with DS 6.1 every Volume on the NAS can be encrypted, also the defaultVIDEO, PHOTO (etc) folders. And I hope that the Media-Indexing can handle it then. Because after Reboot, the encrypted volumes are unmounted until mount with encryption-key. So the Media Index should not clean the media index after every reboot (like it is at the moment). At the moment, when having custom media folder in encrypted shared folders and after DS reboot the Media index have to index everything again. It's a pain in the ass.

We have 2017 soon, talking about Data security every where. And still a big NAS-OS like DS is not able to encrypt the full Drive and is not able to use features like SED (self encrypting drives). It's a pity. Also SED should be usable with DS soon!
Manni79
Trainee
Trainee
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:52 pm

Re: PLEASE VOTE: Ability encrypt Home/Photo/Video/Music folders

Postby Manni79 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:52 pm

Manni79 wrote:Wow, nice. I have to try it soon! Would be great! Do you have made good experience right now with encrypted default shared-folders like "video" and "photo" or do you have found bugs and problems?

Did they fix also the bug with "Media-Indexing" on shared folder? On Every Reboot of my DS, the file indexing has to re-index everything again! A full day of media indexing, every restart of DS. :-( Because after restart and after manually enter the mount password for the encrypted folders, the media indexing has forgotten everything. Explained here.
Manni79 wrote:
sdertz wrote:Oh, well better than nothing. Full drive encryption is not really needed, but at least volume encryption should be implemented in the same way as your competition (q...) did it.


Yes, but I hope this really means with DS 6.1 every Volume on the NAS can be encrypted, also the defaultVIDEO, PHOTO (etc) folders. And I hope that the Media-Indexing can handle it then. Because after Reboot, the encrypted volumes are unmounted until mount with encryption-key. So the Media Index should not clean the media index after every reboot (like it is at the moment). At the moment, when having custom media folder in encrypted shared folders and after DS reboot the Media index have to index everything again. It's a pain in the ass.

We have 2017 soon, talking about Data security every where. And still a big NAS-OS like DS is not able to encrypt the full Drive and is not able to use features like SED (self encrypting drives). It's a pity. Also SED should be usable with DS soon!


Somebody has a solution with encrypted video folders?

Yes, we can encrypt video default folders, but it is still as bad as before.
On restarting DS, all the indexed video files are gone. Every DS-restart the indexing starts at the beginning and every time it needs a full day for indexing everything .... again, and again, and again... every restart after mounting the encrypted files again

Some body has a workaround or fix for that? To use encrypted video folders but don't have to re-index everything afters DS restart?
rowox
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable
Posts: 335
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:15 am

Re: PLEASE VOTE: Ability encrypt Home/Photo/Video/Music folders

Postby rowox » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:50 am

Here is a fix for you: STOP restarting your diskstation!
Do you agree that you should be able to encrypt your important folders, such as Photo, Home (and Video and Music)? PLEASE VOTE and comment at the following thread and make your voice heard (you'll need to cut and paste the URL):
http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=93366

DS415+, 4 x 6TB Red
Manni79
Trainee
Trainee
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:52 pm

Re: PLEASE VOTE: Ability encrypt Home/Photo/Video/Music folders

Postby Manni79 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:42 pm

rowox wrote:Here is a fix for you: STOP restarting your diskstation!

Not possible, have to restart on DSM updates.

Back to topic, any known solution ?


Btw. Your Signature is not correct anymore, because it is now possible:

Code: Select all

Do you agree that you should be able to encrypt your important folders, such as Photo, Home (and Video and Music)? PLEASE VOTE and comment at the following thread and make your voice heard (you'll need to cut and paste the URL):
http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=93366

But I think when we have to index everything from the scratch at each restart, it's not a good solution. :-)
Manni79
Trainee
Trainee
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:52 pm

Re: PLEASE VOTE: Ability encrypt Home/Photo/Video/Music folders

Postby Manni79 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:18 pm

Answer from official support is... it's "as designed". On encrypted folders all indexed data will be deleted on restart of DSM and everything will be re-indexed after restart.
Bad design I would say.
Answered that a solution to have encrypted folders not re-indexed on every reboot would be nice.
I hope for an update in the future.

If more people have a problem with it, let the support team know.
sdertz
Student
Student
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:16 pm

Re: PLEASE VOTE: Ability encrypt Home/Photo/Video/Music folders

Postby sdertz » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:04 pm

Manni79 wrote:If more people have a problem with it, let the support team know.

I mean everyone has a problem with it.

They should store index on encrxpted share instead of DSM partition (I guess that's how it works now, so they have to remove it on every restart).
iustinn
I'm New!
I'm New!
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:21 pm

Re: PLEASE VOTE: Ability encrypt Home/Photo/Video/Music folders

Postby iustinn » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:19 pm

"as designed" - it is a BAD design.

Problem is no one from the management is reading forums like this one (same goes for Apple,Microsoft, etc.).
So maybe, if you are lucky, a forum admin might read it, but than again, he can't make decisions on products.

In the world today, security & privacy should be #1priority, but people, willingly give that up for comfort and easy of use...

How many here use the credit card for shopping? Do you know what happens with that data (you should)? But you don't care, because it is easier to pay with a card than to go to the ATM, take money and so on.
How many use a secure e-mail provider (like protonmail)? Easier with the all-in-on integrated Gmail or outlook.com

Very few people even understand encryption, like you encrypt your folders, but how about logs,metadata, the sync log available in the main Drive Station, that shows ALL your recent (up to 1million) uploads and downloads (and no option to delete it). Think you will say no to a bad guy asking you for that file, that was encrypted but he is able to see the full name/date and ask for it...or maybe a government agency or whatever.

Synology has a great selling plan as far as I'm concerned - have your own cloud and restore your privacy BUT security and privacy should be the staple, not functionality and ease of use.

Personally, I don't use any home/homes folders (disable them from the start), keep my own folder structure, encrypted and that is it.
Do I lose some "nice" things? Sure, but for now it is a price I'll pay gladly to keep my stuff as private as possible.

Return to “Feature Requests & Product Improvement Suggestions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests