DS Photo/PotoStation wish list

Discuss with the community any ideas you'd love to see in future DiskStations and DSM updates! We do our best to monitor and forward all of them, but we recommend to also use this form as our team will systematically see your suggestion:
https://www.synology.com/form/inquiry/feature
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
Napsju
I'm New!
I'm New!

HEIC support

Postby Napsju » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:52 pm

When can we expect HEIC support for Photo Station and DS Photo?

I know there is a HEIC to JPG converter in DS Photo, but why not just support the format itself?
tatcom
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: DS Photo/PotoStation wish list

Postby tatcom » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:15 pm

I'd very much welcome the feature Amazon Photos introduced, called: On This Day. It organises your photos taken on the same date in the past by years, where you can see what happened 1, 2, 3, x years back on the same day. Quite nostalgic therefore very useful function which all the family appreciates.

here's how it looks:
suisse
Novice
Novice

Postby suisse » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:48 pm

Please support HEVC & HEIF

Also show video metadata in photostation
afawaz
Beginner
Beginner

Postby afawaz » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:33 am

Hi,
I notice that the number of photos showed in the timeline of photostation is limited to a maximum ~9 photos
It would be nice to increase this number using a local setup in the current timeline webpage (or a settings parameter)
( all photos are only accessible from slideshow only which is a little bit limited )
Best Regards
Alain
wb33
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby wb33 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:06 am

I'm also wishing full HEIF & HEVC support without conversion.
bkqc
I'm New!
I'm New!

Allow a better way to share pictures in PhotoStation

Postby bkqc » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:12 am

The base for my suggestion comes from this post: https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopi ... 6&start=30.

More precisely, I think this could be done at least 2 ways (that could even be combined):
1- When giving rights to a given user, add options for (these would be evaluated after base permissions):
a- See untagged pictures
b- See pictures tagged with people
c- Select authorized tags
d- Select unauthorized tags

2- Choose if user has access to see the whole folder structure or only smart albums. Also add the possibility to define permissions to see smart albums with an option to override basic permissions.

Thank for taking the time to evaluate the possibility :)

P.S. I love PhotoStation, I think this would only make it even greater! :)
DrO
I'm New!
I'm New!

DS Audio app | Android | Auto-delete after backup

Postby DrO » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:01 pm

After performing an upload of your photo directory using the DS Photo app on Android, you have the option to "Auto-Delete after upload".
The only time options are "Immediately" or "Periodically".
It would be nice to have the option to select a date range so that you can choose to keep photos and videos on your phone for a set time, then after x time they get removed (after having been transferred, of course!)
mrborg
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Photo Station wish list

Postby mrborg » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:27 pm

WOW after 4 years I have just posted the same request - managing slideshow speed https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=138284
taildragon wrote:I'd like to see two items:
- add a setting to control slideshow speed (default is too fast, but should be settable from, say, 1 sec to 60 sec.)
- add a slideshow button to the album view. Currently users must select a picture first - many never find it.

I could add some more nice features to the slideshow wish list:
- add more info to the slideshow iFrame pictures (date and tags etc.)
- add easy GetSlideShowLink in the share album you should get the java slideshow link in running mode for usage in iFrames - that would be so great.
Gear: Synology DS216+ (1x3TB WD Red) and DS210j (1x3TB WD Red) - Synology Router RT1900AC - Slingbox M1 - ChromeCast - SONOS Play1+3+5+Soundbar+Connect - iPad Air2 128GB[*] - iPad2 64GB - iPad Mini Retina 32GB - iPhone 6 64GB - several Rasberry Pi's (RPI1B, RPI2B, RPI3, RPI3Zero)
[*]Favorit apps: DS Note, DS Audio, DS Photo, DS Video, DS File, Slingplayer HD, FTP Client Pro, AccCalculator, Twitter, Mindjet Mind Manager
sancho2412
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby sancho2412 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:05 pm

I'd like to have following features in a following version:

- Enable to download a photo album without an user account but only for a single album, not for all albums
- Enable to view 360° pictures
T.U.
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby T.U. » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:44 pm

Hello,
... I beg your pardon, if this request was already filed here ....

I have used a DS218+ since few weeks and after evaluating DS File and DS Photo for automated photo backup (iOS), I decided to go with DS Photo for all Family Smartphones.
The pictures I take with my smartphone can be divided into two categories: a quick Snapshot of something (for documentation one) or a photo to capture a moment. The latter ones may get used for a printed photo book.
In Photo Station I created an Album for my smartphone and an album called "Snapshots" into which I move all those quick Snapshots.
All new photos get uploaded in my default Album and if it is a Snapshot i want to keep, I move it to my Snapshot album.

Now here are my feature request:
* When moving a photo into another album, DS Photo presents a dialog roughly with this content:"Overwrite current data? Overwrite / Skip / cancel? As there is definitely no duplicate photo to overwrite in the target album, I wonder why DS Photo shows this dialog.
For easier usage, it would be great if DS Photo wtould show such warnings only if there is something to be overwritten.

* Prevent deletion of non empty album either by permissions or an extra "Are you sure to delete an entire Album" question.
This is because, during muliselect pictures for deletion, I accidentally deleted my Snapshot album.

For the rest of the features of DS218+ and Photo Station, I am really happy with it.

Regards, T.
Gungan
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Gungan » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:18 am

I would like to be able to rename the default photo share. I can't even capitalize it to Photo. I'm very particular and being forced to use "photo" made Photo Station an instant uninstall for me. The permissions for the photo share also being controlled by Photo Station is also completely draconian.

I don't know that the developers even look into these forums. I've seen little evidence that they do. Just throwing my thoughts in their general direction and seeing what sticks.
Dex
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Dex » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:38 pm

Hello,

Just one simple request, be able to grant read only access to photo folder via CIFS/SAMBA for non admin users...
I'm not sure that Synology understand the pain that it is for users to have removed this.
Example, my wife wants to use mypaperprintedfantasticphotoalbum.com to make a printed photo album.

Before :
- She has \mysynology\photo mapped as network drive (read only)
- She goes to mypaperprintedfantasticphotoalbum.com select add photos and select photos on the mapped network drive.
- Done

Now :
- She goes to photostation, select pictures, download them.
- Photos are downloaded on her PC.
- She goes to mypaperprintedfantasticphotoalbum.com select add photos and select photos previouly transfered.
- Done
- As she has downloaded these photos somewhere in mydocuments (no expert user), the "fantastic" Synology Cloudstation backup just do what he has to do and so backup pictures back on the synology NAS so I've pictures twice in different folders on the NAS.
- Her cloud station backup folder on the NAS is backuped as well as the photo folder to C2 and an other NAS.

Multiply this game by the number of family members doing that and you have backups that grows everywhere just because someone decided that a read only access was already too much.

Thx
nevermind
I'm New!
I'm New!

Highlight areas for private albums

Postby nevermind » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:29 pm

Hello,

Recently I accidentally found out (while sharing one of the albums in Photo Station), that there is "Highlight Areas" function which I was missing for quite a long time. Unfortunately It can only be accessed when album is shared.

It would be really nice to have "Highlight Areas" available for private albums. Could be even linked to "General Tags" or new category - "Highlight Tags". Should be working similar to "People Tag".
Sometimes it's quite handy to tag specific area explaining what is where on the photo...

Or is it me who can't figure out how to access this function?..

Return to “Feature Requests & Product Improvement Suggestions”