DS Photo/PotoStation wish list

Discuss with the community any ideas you'd love to see in future DiskStations and DSM updates! We do our best to monitor and forward all of them, but we recommend to also use this form as our team will systematically see your suggestion:
https://www.synology.com/form/inquiry/feature
Forum rules
We do our best to monitor and forward your ideas to our team, but due to the large amount, we may not see every single one and recommend to also use this form as our team will systematically see your suggestion:
https://www.synology.com/form/inquiry/feature
AlienPearl
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: DS Photo/PotoStation wish list

Postby AlienPearl » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:08 pm

Hello,

I just think it will be great if the DS Photo app for iOS could make photo backups using the albums structure already set up in Photos instead of uploading all the photos in a single folder. In fact it will be great if we could use the DS Photo App as replacement for the Photos app on iOS. I think the idea Behind DS Photo is great, but still doesn't match the convenience of the iCloud service provided by Apple. Every time I take a picture I would like it to be uploaded in DS Photo main gallery instead of an separated backup folder.
sdertz
Student
Student

Postby sdertz » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:31 pm

Integrate exiftool, so we are able to easily modify exif tags without using command line.
Paul Barrett
Experienced
Experienced

Postby Paul Barrett » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:26 am

killerspots wrote:Dear All, I am still hoping to find some way to create an unique sub-album of an album. In Aperture, I was able to have all photos in one project/album and then create a sub-album and put all of my selcted photos in this sub-album. With this feature, I was able to collect all photos of one event and also keep selections of photos in separate album without uploading them a second time. That would be awesome!

Thanks in Advance.

Have you looked at Portfolio Categories?
Main: DS216j
Backup: DS411j
Ver: Always the latest :)
janekj
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Photo Station: Set default view to Timeline

Postby janekj » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:42 pm

It would be just awesome to have the timeline as a default view!

Janek
benjibarnicals
Enlightened
Enlightened

Domain map TLD to PhotoStation & Change Photostation folder root

Postby benjibarnicals » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:19 pm

A nice to have....

1. It would be great if you could map a domain (say, http://www.myphotos.com) to Photostation without the need to have it running under a sub folder (ie. http://www.myphotos.com NOT http://www.myphotos.com/photos/).

2. Change the folder which PhotoStation runs under, for example instead of always running under /photos/ have this user configurable so you could have /myphotos/ or /holiday/photos/

Hope that makes sense.

The first option would be great, and allow PhotoStation to run as a website without the need for it for users specifically having to navigate to the /photos/ folder.
Drakon
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Drakon » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:01 pm

Would be great to have the following features:

1. Actual restrict access to Photostation to certain Users, it isn't possible to do that, every User can always use Photostation. (No option to restrict it)

2. The "photos" Folder should also be restricted. Problem here is , that it's a huge privacy hole. When there are multiple Users on the DSM and everyone puts their stuff into the public "folder" folder (since it's also the only one PhotoStation uses), everyone can see the files from the other. Even when the admin activated the option in Photostation that every User has a own Photostation.

In the Photostation that works, but in Filestation the user can still see the entire folders and files in "photo" from every other users. It shouldn't be this way!

3. As said above, it would really nice when the User can configure a own Folder for the Photo Station (maybe in the homes folder) and that the public folder "photo" isn't used at all.
killerspots
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby killerspots » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:56 pm

Paul Barrett wrote:
killerspots wrote:Dear All, I am still hoping to find some way to create an unique sub-album of an album. In Aperture, I was able to have all photos in one project/album and then create a sub-album and put all of my selcted photos in this sub-album. With this feature, I was able to collect all photos of one event and also keep selections of photos in separate album without uploading them a second time. That would be awesome!

Thanks in Advance.

Have you looked at Portfolio Categories?

Thanks for the tip. But I can only put different album in there, not separate pictures. What I am actually looking for is a sub-folder, where I can store best-of-pictures (or others pre-selected pictures) from an overall album. So I can keep all pictures of one topic in one album and then pre-select separate pictures and put them in sub-folder without having to copy, but just to link them. That is a very nice feature of Aperture.
icantseemyhead
Trainee
Trainee

Feature Requests

Postby icantseemyhead » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:46 pm

I'm in the process of migrating all my pictures and videos from Phanfare over to Photo Station 6. So far, no real problems. Using the Phanfare site mirror app allowed me to easily download everything to the NAS, and not lose the album structure. However, there are 4 features that I would love to see in Photo Station, ordered in priority to me:

1. Option to sort folders by the most recent item it contains. - really important
2. Ability to hide visibility of an item to non-managers, without deleting it.
3. Wrap Album description, rather than just showing ellipses + tool tip
4. Allow for embedded HTML markup (e.g. <a> and <b>) - cool, but minor

But so far, I have been really impressed. Especially with the mobile phone workflow using DS photo. Thanks, and keep up the great work!
hermanxmz
I'm New!
I'm New!

Request a pointer-based Virtual Photo Album

Postby hermanxmz » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:30 am

I hope to create virtual album by pointers. Shared Album is already working that way though it was originally designed to share image files to public cloud services. What preventing me from using Shared Album as virtual album is Apple TV DS Photo App cannot see Shared Album. I want to request to make Apple TV DS Photo App to be able to see Shared Album. Secondly, Shared Album is currently only visible to the user who created it but not to the other users. I want to request to add an option during Shared Album creation to specify whether this Shared Album can be visible to other users or not. I understand there is already Smart Album which groups media files dynamically based on metadata but I don’t want to add new tag to the media files just for the purpose of grouping photo by Smart Album. The pointers for Shared Album are stored in Photo Station database and hence is vendor dependent but the pointer based virtual album is an useful feature user can decide to use in exchange of vendor lock-in.
skumancer
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby skumancer » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:38 pm

Requests:

- Fast/Seamless login. I don't wanna see a "logging in" view, work it out in the background like other Apps do. I just want to be presented with a screen with my photos once I've signed in.
- AppleTV Application.
Paul Barrett
Experienced
Experienced

Visibility Status

Postby Paul Barrett » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:04 pm

My photo library has morphed from a personal to family archive with my earliest photos dating back to the 1900's

The only sensible way to organise the library is in date order using a hierarchy of:

Decade
Year
Year-Mon-Day

As we build the family archive we end up with duplicate photos of differing quality which need to be looked at, edited and cleaned up. and we end up with a finished version which is the one we want to see. There are also images that we want only the wider family to see and some which are limited to one family group. It would be impractical to duplicate the tree into 'Visible' and 'Non Visible' branches, so controlling this by the visibility of folders is not the solution

I would like the ability in the thumbnail views (all of them, including People, Location, General Tabs and Search Results) to be able to select one or more images and set their visibility status along the lines of:

Public - anyone can see them
Restricted - only members of user definable groups can see them
Unpublished - only the admin can see them.

Admin would be able to see everything by default

I would like this status to be written to the files' metadata so it can be read by my Digital Asset Manager app

EDIT (of the previous edit!) 28/02/2017
There is an existing metadata field XMP:Label which is designed to hold custom texts and would therefore be a perfect candidate for the published values

Photo Station does not currently use that tag at all. So it could be added to the right hand panel just above the TAG heading in full screen view. There would be an edit prompt. just like the tags fields which would allow them to change the status. It should also be available as a right click option on any image or group of images selected in the thumbnail views (all of them, including search results).

Alongside the label in the full screen view, or in the bottom right hand corner of the thumbnail in thumbnail view, a label icon would appear coloured red for unpublished, orange for restricted view, Green for published. Guest Users would not see the field or its labels at all. Thus users see no filed or coloured labels. Named Users see the field and all images with Orange or Green flags. Admins see all statuses.

The PS Settings should include an option to enable/disable this function (default = disabled). If disabled the system behaves as it does today. If enabled, PS will then suppress those images that a user is not entitled to see.

These features should be enabled across the web browser app and the DS Photo apps.

- Paul
Last edited by Paul Barrett on Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
Main: DS216j
Backup: DS411j
Ver: Always the latest :)
aytek
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Visibility Status

Postby aytek » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:41 pm

Paul Barrett wrote:My photo library has morphed from a personal to family archive with my earliest photos dating back to the 1900's

The only sensible way to organise the library is in date order using a hierarchy of:

Decade
Year
Year-Mon-Day

As we build the family archive we end up with duplicate photos of differing quality which need to be looked at, edited and cleaned up. and we end up with a finished version which is the one we want to see. There are also images that we want only the wider family to see and some which are limited to one family group. It would be impractical to duplicate the tree into 'Visible' and 'Non Visible' branches, so controlling this by the visibility of folders is not the solution

I would like the ability in the thumbnail views (all of them, including People, Location, General Tabs and Search Results) to be able to select one or more images and set their visibility status along the lines of:

Public - anyone can see them
Restricted - only members of user definable groups can see them

Admin would be able to see everything by default

I would like this status to be written to the files' metadata so it can be originated, interrogated and modified by other apps, and when the file is edited externally Photo Station needs to read and implement the changes

Excellent suggestion Paul. Hope photo station developer team takes this suggestion into account.
Model: DS215+
Firmware: DSM 6.1-15047
Disk 1: HGTS / HDN726060ALE610 / 6TB (SHR)
Disk 2: WDC/ WD30EFRX-68AX9N0 / 3TB (SHE)
UPS: APC BACK-UPS XC 1400U
Ajpeat
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Ajpeat » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:52 pm

A better 'random' playback during slideshow would be fantastic. Thanks
cryptogram
I'm New!
I'm New!

Two-Factor Authentication for DS Photo App?

Postby cryptogram » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:55 pm

Hi,

Is there any plan in the works to enable two-factor authentication (2FA) for access into the DS Photo application? I'm fine if it even has a remember this device option if it's at least done 2FA once. It seems the web interfaces and other apps support it ... but not DS Photo? Unless I am missing it -- I don't see how this can be enabled. This seems lik something worth protecting in a similar fashion to data via other apps and interfaces.

Thanks
rony albert
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Two-Factor Authentication for DS Photo App?

Postby rony albert » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:34 pm

cryptogram wrote:Hi,

Is there any plan in the works to enable two-factor authentication (2FA) for access into the DS Photo application? I'm fine if it even has a remember this device option if it's at least done 2FA once. It seems the web interfaces and other apps support it ... but not DS Photo? Unless I am missing it -- I don't see how this can be enabled. This seems lik something worth protecting in a similar fashion to data via other apps and interfaces.

Thanks

I think it is not possible what you are looking for!!
health care tipHyperthymesia
Last edited by rony albert on Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Feature Requests & Product Improvement Suggestions”