USB drive name

Discuss with the community any ideas you'd love to see in future DiskStations and DSM updates! We do our best to monitor and forward all of them, but we recommend to also use this form as our team will systematically see your suggestion:
https://www.synology.com/en-global/form ... y/feedback
Forum rules
We do our best to monitor and forward your ideas to our team, but due to the large amount, we may not see every single one and recommend to also use this form as our team will systematically see your suggestion:
https://www.synology.com/en-global/form ... y/feedback
john.glasson
Trainee
Trainee

USB drive name

Postby john.glasson » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:05 am

I recently upgraded the hard disk in my DS101j. After re-installing the system I temporarily plugged in the old drive as an external device, to transfer my files. When I removed this USB drive and plugged in the flash drive that I always keep installed, its name has changed (from USBshare1 to USBshare2).

It seems there's nothing I can do to rename the flash drive back to USBshare1. Since the share is used by a lot of programs on the network, this is a real inconvenience. A 'Rename' facility is needed for USB storage devices (some where down there in the system there must be a table that holds these names, but I couldn't find it to amend it).

John Glasson
sync
Student
Student

Re: USB drive name

Postby sync » Sat May 10, 2008 4:47 am

i recall there have been alot of people who want this feature also,
but isn't the usb share names stored somewhere?
JimKnopf
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby JimKnopf » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:10 pm

Similiar happend to me with my 107+ (FW 0728) and three USB drives. I want to have a specific mapping of the USBshare number and the USB drives and was looking how to rename the USBshares and the naming mechanismus works. Finally I found the box remembers the mapping of USB device serial and USB share number in file

/usr/syno/etc/usbno_guid.map

so

• eject all USB drives
  • switch off the USB drives
  • telnet to the Synology and rename the file /usr/syno/etc/usbno_guid.map to /usr/syno/etc/usbno_guid.map.old
  • reboot the NAS
  • power on the USB drives in order you want to have the usbshare numbers assigned; the system always uses the sequence usbshare1, usbshare2, usbshare3 if the numbers are not already used in that file (wait until current started USB HDD is visible in the USB Disk menu before power on the next USB drive)

Works fine for me,
JimKnopf :wink:
rdcowan
Trainee
Trainee

Postby rdcowan » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:42 am

I too wanted to change the flash drive I'm using for backups and the one I want is not named usbshare2. It shows up in the list of 'shared folders' even though it is not shared anywhere. When I try to delete the shared folder, I get the message:

"The following shared folders are reserved for system use and cannot be deleted:
usbshare2"

I want this drive to be my main usbbackup flash drive.

Will the telnet process fix this as well?
arnoutboer
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby arnoutboer » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:24 am

Jim,

Thanks. Exactly what I was looking for.

Arnout
kjarrett
Trainee
Trainee

Postby kjarrett » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:17 pm

I have a DS109 and this did not work. It would not allow me to rename the file, it said it was in use, if I recall correctly. Perhaps I did something wrong? Is there another solution? TIA!
Radar_Lover
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Radar_Lover » Mon May 09, 2011 10:42 am

@Jim,

Thank you very much! I spent hours trying to achieve this using this method with no luck at all.

This should be made a sticky or added to the FAQ or better still, Synology should add an option to do this in the DSM instead of having to do a 'hack'.

@kjarrett, have you ejected all your USB disks and unplugged them so nothing shows up under 'External Devices' in the web admin page? Maybe try rebooting first before telnet or ssh in? Also you must telnet or ssh in as root@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (use admin password).
HTH.
DS710+ | DSM 3.0-1372 | File server / iTunes server
DS101g+ | DSM 2.3-1157 | Network backup for DS710+
ranulf
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby ranulf » Tue May 10, 2011 12:04 pm

I'll bump this. My experience so far is that /dev/random is involved in handling USB disks somewhere. It must be. No other mechanism can explain my experiences.

I started out with 3 external disks. Legacy, collection from various older computers, has to be this way. They were found and had 3 shares assigned to them, and I created some NFS shares to the disks for different purposes (music and movies from the computer in the TV room, isos for use from my VMWare server and so forth). One fine day, a visiting electrician did a surprise power-off on the entire house (he was a bit surprised too but unharmed) and the disks understandably went offline. The DS211J had UPS and shut itself down graciously when the UPS said that it was time. Fine, I thought, reboot and let the system find itself again. But the disks reappeared in random positions - 3 was 1, 1 was 2, 2 was 3. Another reboot shuffled them again. Fiddling with /etc/fstab worked but is a temporary hack - which itself is a [Please control your language] of a high magnitude. The contents of the file are rewritten on reboot. A misfeature if ever there was one, but I digress.

Today, after reattaching one of the disks after a visit to a friends house, I suddenly had volumeUSB2, 3 and *4*. :evil: Bloody hell... And no amount of fiddling will make it go back.

Seriously, this is not even approaching functional. If that is how a DS handles USB, there's no advantage compared to bringing one of the old clunkers in the attic online again. If I can't even create a stable /etc/fstab and make NFS shares stick, the DS is less than worthless to me - it's currently a time sink which will only be tolerated for so long. :!:
konkwest
Trainee
Trainee

Postby konkwest » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:13 am

Why doesn't Synology use the same method most *nix methods do, and mount the USB stick according to the Drive Label!
DCoe
Trainee
Trainee

Postby DCoe » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:04 pm

Here! Here! I'm in complete agreement with konkwest on this one!

I use external USB drives as backup destinations for a couple of remote Windows file servers. I also depend on the usb drive names being stable. Has anyone here put that request directly to Synology? It seems simple enough. If a duplicate volume name conflict occurs, then the DSM could change it by appending an extra character like '1'.
Basalt
Student
Student

Postby Basalt » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:58 pm

I ran into the same problem with DSM 4.1 and successfully solved it with Jim's instructions.

Thanks Jim.

Erik.
If these be vague words, then seek not to clear them. Vague and nebulous is the beginning of all things, but not their end, and I fain would have you remember me as a beginning. Life, and all that lives, is conceived in the mist and not in the crystal. And who knows but a crystal is mist in decay?

Kahlil Gibran, "The Prophet"
Tocsyn
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Tocsyn » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:23 pm

+1

I'm glad there is a workaround but it shouldn't be that hard to implement for less experienced users. If Windows can manage it, surely Synology can :)
TheRealTomTom
Rookie
Rookie

Postby TheRealTomTom » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:17 pm

JimKnopf wrote:Similiar happend to me with my 107+ (FW 0728) and three USB drives. I want to have a specific mapping of the USBshare number and the USB drives and was looking how to rename the USBshares and the naming mechanismus works. Finally I found the box remembers the mapping of USB device serial and USB share number in file

/usr/syno/etc/usbno_guid.map

so

• eject all USB drives
  • switch off the USB drives
  • telnet to the Synology and rename the file /usr/syno/etc/usbno_guid.map to /usr/syno/etc/usbno_guid.map.old
  • reboot the NAS
  • power on the USB drives in order you want to have the usbshare numbers assigned; the system always uses the sequence usbshare1, usbshare2, usbshare3 if the numbers are not already used in that file (wait until current started USB HDD is visible in the USB Disk menu before power on the next USB drive)

Works fine for me,
JimKnopf :wink:

Thanks,

I am able to telnet in but even using admin, I get told permission denied.

I am also unsure of how to rename it if I was able to get there.

Sorry for the stupidity!

When I log in I am at a screen that has the name of the nas:

eg

NAS>

if I do ls

I just get Cloudstation listed.....
Tom
sideshowmanny
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby sideshowmanny » Thu May 09, 2013 9:22 pm

Hi TomTom, if you're still having problems -

You need to log in as root instead of admin(the password is the same as your admin password).

Then enter:

cd ..

That takes you up a directory, entering ls now you should see usr in the list. So then to get to the right directory:

cd usr/syno/etc

And to rename:

mv usbno_guid.map usbno_guid.map.old

I just did it on my usbstation 2 and it worked no problem (thanks Jim ;-))

Cheers,

Manny
Goner
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Goner » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:13 am

In File Station you can not change the name of the USB device, but you can change it in Shared Folder (Control Panel) to something like 'WD Elements'.
I noticed that when you do that the usbno_guid.map is not updated, so it might be only 'cosmetic' (usbno_guid.map is not changed).

(found this tip on the Dutch Syno forum).

NAS : DS212j with 2 ST2000DL003 in SHR / DSM 5.2-5644 Update 5
LAN : Fritz!Box 7170, 5 Devolo 200/500Mbps homeplugs, 2 5-port switches, Maxxter ACT-WNP-RP-002
HW : Raspberry Pi 2B & 3B, Conceptronic CHD3NET, ACRyan Playon!HD, Eminent EM7075dts, Wii, Wii U, PS2, D-Link DCS-930L

Return to “Feature Requests & Product Improvement Suggestions”